Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation 07 250 pro xs on a bullet 20 Xd <Edit-29P> bravo feels like I’m hitting a limiter

Hey guys ,
    When I hit around 5700 / 5800 rpms on analog tach it feels like the motor hits a limiter... I just Blythe boat and the guy has been great... he’s a certified mercury mechanic.... we’ve replaced all fuel line from tank to motor... sent air and fuel injectors off checked cleaned and flow tested... compressor,alternator,belt all new... we’re lost and don’t wanna be parts changers... any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Verify rpm on Smartcraft or ddt to be sure first.

3. Member
    I was under the impression if you were hitting the limiter an alarm would go off... and it seems hard to think the motor would turn a 29 bravo that tight

4. Member
    With a ????20 pitch bravo i would think it would be getting on the limiter very easily, are is that a miss print but regardless of the prop it should turn more rpm. I would first verify rpm before i went further.

5. Member
    Does the alarm sound, during key-up? No alarm means your are not hitting the limiter.

6. Member
    Sorry guys it was a misprint 29 bravo

7. Member
    It will beep when I start it but I thought they all did

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Young View Post
    It will beep when I start it but I thought they all did
    They all beep, if the horn is working. That is the purpose of the beep, during key-up, to tell you the alarm horn is working. In your case you are not hitting the limiter.

9. Member
    First a little info would help. What lower unit? What gear ratio? How high is the motor? With this info it will be easier to figure out what RPM you should be able to turn.
    Last edited by gehol; 03-30-2019 at 03:53 PM.

10. Member
    Post in Bullet forum also.

11. Member
    It’s a sport master 1:62 I believe 1” 1/4 above pad

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It’s a sport master 1:62 I believe 1” 1/4 above pad
    Couple items:

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Verify prop pitch. No way you're running a 1.62 on a 20XD with a 20 pitch Bravo.

Get verifiable RPM info (Smartcraft or CDS).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    He said hes running a 29P. See post 6.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks- Updated the title to reflect correct pitch.

Reeds Inspected?

Cylinders inspected for a Rotated Sleeve?

Good idea to get him to go out with you, set trim at a SAFE level, WOT, and have him run a Cylinder Misfire Test on the Computer Diagnostic System. Record RPM drop for each cylinder. This often helps to determine if it's an engine-wide problem, or if it's a single-cylinder problem.

Note: WHO did the injectors? Do you have reports? (IMPORTANT reason for asking- light hulls like this the engine will not tolerate a rich condition).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Is this something new that has happened or has it been above 5800? This could be setup issue.
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

16. Member
    The boat was just set up and it’s been like this since we hung the motor

17. Member
    The motor came off a triton and we just put it on the bullet .... it’s been that way since we hung the motor ... I spoke with the guy that owned the motor prior and he said it would only turn 5600 on the triton but no problems...

18. Member
    Alarm does not go off when I touch the limiter on my 2008 ProXS 250, it just drops rpm pretty severly. But it happens around 6400.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tripower View Post
    Alarm does not go off when I touch the limiter on my 2008 ProXS 250, it just drops rpm pretty severly. But it happens around 6400.
    You are NOT hitting 6400 RPM, without the alarm going off, with a STOCK PCM.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The motor came off a triton and we just put it on the bullet .... it’s been that way since we hung the motor ... I spoke with the guy that owned the motor prior and he said it would only turn 5600 on the triton but no problems...
    Pretty good possibility that this is a rich condition- more than likely from injectors that are outside of their acceptable flow parameters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast