Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT700 Bull or YS640

I’m in the market for a pellet grill. Looking at the Rec Tec bull and the Yoder YS640. I’ve run across a lightly used Bull in great condition with a comp cart for 1k. No such luck on the Yoder, but have a dealer I stopped by and seen and looked over the 640 with cart. Over 2K plus. They will have a 10 percent off sale in May, still expensive but built stupid heavy. I really like the Yoder for its simplicity, built in the USA and just built so good. The complaints I’ve read are though that Yoder produces light smoke flavor compared to other pellet grills. I don’t have a RecTec around to check out but reviews have all been superb. I really like the idea of WiFi so no babysitting or getting up to check on progress is needed. Any of you guys have firsthand experience with these grills? I seem to read a lot of you guys loving your rec tecs.

2. Member
    I've cooked on Treagars, Grilla Grillz, Rec Tec and a Yoder....Yoder all the way, not even close.

Not sure how someone can say one pellet grill can produce more or less smoke than any other, they all have the same basic auger design.
    Last edited by SteveDyer; 03-29-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

3. Member
    I am looking at pellet smokers too. I ran across MAK smokers for the same reasons you like Yoder. Amazing Ribs.com has really good reviews on them. From my research both USA smokers are much heavier built than the imports. I do not know if they last longer or not which is important to me if spending twice the money.
    Last edited by Bluelinefishing; 03-29-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    2019 Phoenix 819 ProXP
    200 Mercury 4 Stroke ProXS

4. Member
    I’ve researched the Maks but I do not care for the aesthetics of the unit.
    As far as smoke output in a Yoder, I’ve read it on quite a few reviews and people having to a tube to enhance the smoke flavor. Is it efficiency once up to temp? I like everything bout the Yoder except price and I’ve never had anything prepared on one.

I would be questioning whether the Yoder is worth spending over twice as much. Would a normal everyday user get anything more out of the Yoder than the Rectec?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    I would be questioning whether the Yoder is worth spending over twice as much. Would a normal everyday user get anything more out of the Yoder than the Rectec?
    +1 on this. I really wanted a Yoder but just couldn't convince myself to spend that much on a smoker. After several months of research pulled the trigger on a Grilla. Had narrowed it down to a Rectec or a Grilla. For what I wanted the Grilla was the best fit. To the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

7. Member
    I usually have the mindset of upfront costs vs quality and longevity. I’ve got no problem ponying up the cash for something that will last. I don’t think I’m going to purchase the used Rec Tec. It appeared to me the owner didn’t take as good of care of the grill as I’d have hoped. There’s a lot of chatter bout the Grillas with these threads. I’ll look into them as well.

8. Member
    The Grillia is nice, I have a 2-year old silverbac, but given the choice over again based on how much use it gets I wish I had bought a bigger yoder.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

9. Member
    I’m debating over a Yoder and pitts and spits 1250. I have a cheap Pitt boss with a Savannah stoker controller. Leaning towards the Pitts n Spitts. I will only use it for low and slow and a 600 degree pizza oven. I have other sources for steaks and burgers. Anyone running the Pitts and spits?€
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

10. Member
    I've had my Yoder 640 for almost 3 years now. Absolutely love it! Works great, heavy duty, clean the ash out of it a couple times a year, no problems at all. Like you mentioned, built like a tank. The only thing I've added was the insulated jacket. Makes a huge difference in the amount of pellets needed, especially in the winter time.

Yes they are expensive but I don't think you'll find a better built smoker.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

11. Member
    Prop. Your opinion on smoke output and smoke flavor. Seems a lot of guys are adding a smoke tube to the smoker which I feel shouldn’t be needed.

12. Member
    Ol-Blue, it doesn't put out as much smoke as a true wood-fired smoker but I've never complained about the output or flavor. Always shows a good smoke ring. I don't guess I know what a smoke tube is?
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

13. Member
    It’s a perforated metal tube you pack full of pellets you ignite then let smolder within the grill for additional smoke output.
    Ive smoke with charcoal for years and smoke output was never an issue. However, everything had a tendency to have the same smoke flavor now matter what I did different.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    I've cooked on Treagars, Grilla Grillz, Rec Tec and a Yoder....Yoder all the way, not even close.

Not sure how someone can say one pellet grill can produce more or less smoke than any other, they all have the same basic auger design.
    I've got a Rec Tec Big Red Bull and its sweet but dang that Yoder is extra sweet but it is double the price .

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    I've got a Rec Tec Big Red Bull and its sweet but dang that Yoder is extra sweet but it is double the price .
    Exactly why I didn't go with the Yoder. It was definitely my first desire but as a casual user, in my mind I just couldn't justify $1500 for a smoker that's twice the cost and smaller than my Grilla. That being said, they seem to be a Cadillac version of a pellet smoker.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

16. Member
    I’m still on the fence. I’m leaning towards the Yoder. I just don’t know if I want to spend that coin at this moment or just buy a cheap Traeger to hold me over a few years. The local store will have a 10 percent off sale coming in a few weeks. Would help that initial sting.

I think I am going to put my order in for a RecTec Stampede this week. I haven't seen anything to sway me from it. I think the Rectec is all I need, I like to buy quality, but I also don't need a $2000 smoker either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    I think I am going to put my order in for a RecTec Stampede this week. I haven't seen anything to sway me from it. I think the Rectec is all I need, I like to buy quality, but I also don't need a $2000 smoker either.
    Should be here either Thursday or Friday, just in time for the weekend. I guess I will have to figure out what I am going to cook now.

Burning my Stampede in now. Like others have said, it is a very stout well built grill. Much better quality than the Traegers I have messed with at Home Depot. Really don't think I would see any advantage spending more money for something like a Yoder.

20. Member
    Not sure if you made your purchase yet. However I have had a ys640 for three years now or so and love it. I think the smoke flavor is on par or slightly better than any other pellet smoker out there and never had any complaints. Not on par with a charcoal or true wood split smoker but no pellet smoker is going to be. Heavy duty, built in USA and good company backing. Only complaints I would have is the paint job flakes off to easy and it has a tendency to use more pellets than others. I believe the pellet usage is partly due to the fact of the heavier gauge steel. Would definitely recommend the upgrade to comp cart if you get no other upgrade. They actually just announced the ys640s. Has an upgraded controller and some new/interesting features.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast