Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 Trailer Winch Stand

The pre cut notches on my winch stand have cracked even further through, so I went ahead and ordered a new one from Ranger ($73 FYI). I want to put a new fulton winch on it, since it doesn't come with one, and the factory winch, is starting to rust. For anyone who has replaced the factory winch, will I need to drill new holes for the new winch, or will fit the factory holes?

The pattern is standard, it will fit. But a fulton F2 2000 pound winch is taller than the factory winch and iffy on a steep ramp if you might drive the nose of the boat into it. Those bigger than 2000 are a no go. I used the 1600 to be safe.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    The pattern is standard, it will fit. But a fulton F2 2000 pound winch is taller than the factory winch and iffy on a steep ramp if you might drive the nose of the boat into it. Those bigger than 2000 are a no go. I used the 1600 to be safe.
    Ok thanks for the heads up.

Here is a picture of the clearance of the 1600lb F2 winch model. Consider that as the angle of the ramp increases and the rear of the boat floats up off the trailer, the nose of the boat and the top of the winch get closer together.

Something else you might be interested in. The weld on the RT winch stand base is just not strong, no excuse, they do not do a good job on this. I fish some electrics only lakes where I absolutely have to put a load on the stand. So I made a guy bar out of simple metal bar stock and covered it with rattle can undercoating to help hold the winch stand back from the strain. When I drilled the hole in the tongue I marked it, then backed it up a 1/8th inch toward the coupler so that when the bolt is tightened down it preloads the strap just a bit to remove all flex out of the winch stand.

Last edited by Skeeterbait; 03-29-2019 at 09:10 AM.

5. Member
    I will take that into consideration. I see you upgraded the jack too, did that bolt straight on, or did you have to modify it?

No, it required modification. This is the Fulton XLT which is extra tall lift. The wheel hits the trailer frame when folded but I was determined to use it because of the grease fittings and large wheel. So I had to elongate the pin hole so it would lock in just as the wheel made contact with the frame. However they also make an F2 jack that can be adjusted up and down on the mount. It will direct bolt on and work without modification If you get the one with single wheel and if you verify and get the one with the correct mounting plate.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 03-29-2019 at 11:40 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    No, it required modification. This is the Fulton XLT which is extra tall lift. The wheel hits the trailer frame when folded but I was determined to use it because of the grease fittings and large wheel. So I had to elongate the pin hole so it would lock in just as the wheel made contact with the frame. However they also make an F2 jack that can be adjusted up and down on the mount. It will direct bolt on and work without modification If you get the one with single wheel and if you verify and get the one with the correct mounting plate.
    OK thanks. I don't need to replace the jack, I was just curious.

8. Member
    The original jacks on the 188 are not very good and many have replaced them.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    The original jacks on the 188 are not very good and many have replaced them.
    It's nothing special, but it works well enough to not spend $150 + on a new Fulton jack for no reason.

10. Member
    I went with the Fulton XLT Jack on mine as well and used a 1" Aluminum spacer and a 1/4" HDPE spacer (to isolate the aluminum from the trailer) and it will just clear the trailer.

Some have said you could use the taller XLT jack and just use the smaller OEM wheel and it will work.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Ok thanks for the heads up.
    I assume the new winch bracket will come from EZ-Loader, since they now make the RT series trailer. if so the winch is set further back and may provide more clearance. The EZ-Loader design is also reinforced in the weak areas which should fix the previous issues.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. Member
    it came in yesterday. It looks like the ez loader.

I'm curious as to why you "Paid" for a new winch stand...

Mine cracked also, and this is a HUGE safety item. If that would have let go while running down a road, the boat will be toast and anything behind it.

Even though mine was well out of warranty, I contacted Ranger with my concerns and they shipped a brand spanking new one (way better weld and gusset on the front) to me free of charge! Ranger knows they have a serious problem on their hands, but it seems they will only address the issue if the customer raises the roof.

They didn't even want the old one back...

14. Member
    The pre cut notches on my winch stand have cracked even further through, so I went ahead and ordered a new one from Ranger ($73 FYI). I want to put a new fulton winch on it, since it doesn't come with one, and the factory winch, is starting to rust. For anyone who has replaced the factory winch, will I need to drill new holes for the new winch, or will fit the factory holes?
    Would you happen to have the part # of the new winch stand? I need still need another one. Thanks

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cards21 View Post
    Would you happen to have the part # of the new winch stand? I need still need another one. Thanks
    Product # 308519 - F148813 RT188 TRLR,S2950,16 - That's what's on the invoice from Ranger.

16. Member
    Product # 308519 - F148813 RT188 TRLR,S2950,16 - That's what's on the invoice from Ranger.
    Is that the complete stand, minus the winch and roller? tia

17. Member
    yes

18. Member
    yes
    Thanks, just ordered one.

Quote Originally Posted by XS-Skeet View Post
    I'm curious as to why you "Paid" for a new winch stand...

Mine cracked also, and this is a HUGE safety item. If that would have let go while running down a road, the boat will be toast and anything behind it.

Even though mine was well out of warranty, I contacted Ranger with my concerns and they shipped a brand spanking new one (way better weld and gusset on the front) to me free of charge! Ranger knows they have a serious problem on their hands, but it seems they will only address the issue if the customer raises the roof.

They didn't even want the old one back...

I called today and sent them a picture and he (Scott) is going to send me one out for free. I hope it is made better than the old one. It was not a good design and I don't think it is made from good steel. I will post a follow up when it comes.

Quote Originally Posted by crankwv View Post
    I called today and sent them a picture and he (Scott) is going to send me one out for free. I hope it is made better than the old one. It was not a good design and I don't think it is made from good steel. I will post a follow up when it comes.
    It should be the EZ-Loader design which is much stronger than the old design. Refer to the pic in my previous post.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast