Thread: Santee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Santee

Going to Santee for a week April 13th, staying in Potato Creek. What stage are the fish in, pre spawn, spawn, post? I read spring has been a little cold in SC and has the fish held up a bit. So I am guessing Spawn or post spawn by the time I get there? Any advice would be appreciated. I have been there once about 14 years ago.

2. Member
    All 3 stages and a little winter patterns still work too

3. Member
    Thanks.

4. Member
    Good luck to you kbass. I will be there for my annual Santee trip the 24-28. I am guessing they will be spawned out by then but hoping the frog bite will work.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    me and the boys are headed down from Ontario for that weekend too. Were out of santee state park. Ill keep an eye out for your stratos and wave if i see you. We will be hard to miss 4 up in a 18 foot 98 white skeeter!
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

6. Member
    I’ll be down the 13th to help with and talk to guys in a high school tourney. Haven’t been on Santee much this year, but I know the same weekend last year there was a shad spawn going on
    2019 Xpress X21 - Yamaha 250 VMAX SHO

7. Member
    I just hope the fishing is good, my son is stationed (Army) in GA so he is trying to get off and come for the week. Santee was the closest major body of water I could find near him. Hopefully he can make it, its the only reason I planned the trip. Have only been there once 15 years ago

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbass View Post
    I just hope the fishing is good, my son is stationed (Army) in GA so he is trying to get off and come for the week. Santee was the closest major body of water I could find near him. Hopefully he can make it, its the only reason I planned the trip. Have only been there once 15 years ago
    I’ll let y’all know what we find out that Saturday so you have something to go on for the rest of the week
    2019 Xpress X21 - Yamaha 250 VMAX SHO

9. Member
    I was down 2 weeks ago and we caught all fish between 1.5 to 3 feet of water. We caught fish on plastics around bank cover/grass and top water zoom buzz toads in the pads. water has been dropping. fish will be ready for the next full moon

10. Member
    any intel you could throw here is super appreciated. Me and a couple of buddies are driving 1,700 miles round trip to do some fishing and camping (and to run away from ice and winter) so we are hoping to at least catch a couple!
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckuhn02 View Post
    I’ll let y’all know what we find out that Saturday so you have something to go on for the rest of the week
    Thanks, any info is greatly appreciated.

AKRISONER-will share what if anything we have going on while we are there. We will mostly be below 95 unless we cant get anything working and then might head to jacks Creek and/or the swamp.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbass View Post
    Thanks, any info is greatly appreciated.

AKRISONER-will share what if anything we have going on while we are there. We will mostly be below 95 unless we cant get anything working and then might head to jacks Creek and/or the swamp.
    were running a 18 foot skeeter so I will be playing it to the wind forecast. Can be tough to get south when she’s blowing. Did the run last year and she was getting a bit too much like home on the Great Lakes, except we don’t have muddy stumpfilled water lol. If it’s windy which it’s supposed to be Thursday/Friday as the weather changes (could change between now and then) we will be fishing north of 95. Once we get a day that the wind is cooperating we will definitely be heading down to fish eutaw springs. We are there from Thursday afternoon through Sunday. If my phone is working properly, I will definitely post an update.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

I just got back from Santee last night. The big pre-spawn bite was about 3 weeks ago. The first wave has spawned, especially in the lower lake and then blackwater ponds in the bass islands area of the upper lake, and another wave should move in during the next full moon.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Hope the fishing is good. Heading down from Columbia Thursday for a few days.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I just got back from Santee last night. The big pre-spawn bite was about 3 weeks ago. The first wave has spawned, especially in the lower lake and then blackwater ponds in the bass islands area of the upper lake, and another wave should move in during the next full moon.
    No trip report on fishing or bbq? How’d you wind up doing?

16. Member
    Not such great winds for Thursday into Friday with them blowing out of the south east. Looking like a windstorm heading into Monday. Gale winds Monday morning. Think I’ll be fishing the swamp friday and then eutaw Saturday when things calm down. Then back to the swamp for Sunday when the winds start to pick up again.

hoping the lightning misses us as well.

maybe see you guys out there!
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    Not such great winds for Thursday into Friday with them blowing out of the south east. Looking like a windstorm heading into Monday. Gale winds Monday morning. Think I’ll be fishing the swamp friday and then eutaw Saturday when things calm down. Then back to the swamp for Sunday when the winds start to pick up again.

hoping the lightning misses us as well.

maybe see you guys out there!

That's good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    No trip report on fishing or bbq? How’d you wind up doing?
    Since the fish were further along in the spawning cycle that our previous trips, it took us a few days to get on the bite. We were caught between spawning waves, so a lot of fish were post spawn and a few prespawn. We did have a few decent days and a couple really spotty days. Biggest fish caught by our group was an 8.5. There was a 7.7 and a bunch of 5's and 6 's. My largest was 6 1/4. We had one day that two guys would have had a 20 pound stinger and my last day (last Saturday), my buddy and I would have had a 25 pound stringer for our best 5. So, all told, not spectacular, but OK.

The BBQ at Sweatman's was as good as ever. Ate there 3 times!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Since the fish were further along in the spawning cycle that our previous trips, it took us a few days to get on the bite. We were caught between spawning waves, so a lot of fish were post spawn and a few prespawn. We did have a few decent days and a couple really spotty days. Biggest fish caught by our group was an 8.5. There was a 7.7 and a bunch of 5's and 6 's. My largest was 6 1/4. We had one day that two guys would have had a 20 pound stinger and my last day (last Saturday), my buddy and I would have had a 25 pound stringer for our best 5. So, all told, not spectacular, but OK.

The BBQ at Sweatman's was as good as ever. Ate there 3 times!
    any particular technique that was working for you?
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    any particular technique that was working for you?
    Mostly fishing slow with green pumpkin colored plastics. The small Zoom Speed Craw caught more than its share.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast