Question 150 Opti Water Pump Kit, Gaskets?

I just did the complete pump kits on 2000 150 Optis and there are many different gaskets included.

I meant with the same as what was there but it occurred to me that someone along the line could have used the wrong gaskets.

Is there any close up pictures that show whats what?

2. Member
    For the 2.5L Optimax recommendation is to replace all 3 gaskets (one each above and below the plate and one under the pump base), plate, impeller, and housing. Housing and plate can be reused IF not damaged or warped.

Highly recommend obtaining a genuine Mercury service manual for your engines, it covers everything you'll ever need to know complete with diagrams and diagnostic procedures.

Please take a moment to read the announcements at the top of the forum, and at minimum, be sure to include serial numbers for your engines every time you post (some put in their signature so they don't have to remember).
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

With the serial number, you can lookup the parts diagrams on our website (and view the gasket stack order, as well as a general idea of what each one is supposed to look like).

Most of the kits for this engine series fit HUNDREDS of engine models, some of which require different combinations of gaskets. The kit's wide coverage has one benefit... the cost is less than many other (narrow-coverage) kits.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    OT274141 and OT274461 thanks

The gasket under the plate was ripped so I wasn’t sure if its the one that belongs there

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unfortunately the one showing in the images actually has the "torn" portion missing, so that's not going to help much.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Does it show the one that goes on top of the plate?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Typical stack/type of gaskets for Standard-Production models:

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Thanks Don

Do you know the part number for #35?

This is what the gasket that I used looks like. Also #35

7AC9948B-DA9C-4316-810B-06076D817AED.jpeg

9. Member
    that's right one for under plate
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    that's right one for under plate
    The one I used is correct? It had a piece missing from the old one but I put the same type back in.

11. Member
    correct yes
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    Plate with new gaskets and a second plc showing torn top plate gasket. These are 2.5L Optimax (135, 150, 175) specific.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Plate with new gaskets and a second plc showing torn top plate gasket. These are 2.5L Optimax (135, 150, 175) specific.
    thanks

The left goes on first, then the plate is on the right and the center is the top gasket correct?

14. Member
    At the time I took the picture I gave no thought to assembly order, just to show the plate and two gaskets. I labeled the picture to make it clear.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Member
    Thanks!

16. Member
    You're welcome and I'll also add those parts were the old ones removed during my last annual, if you look closely you can see "impressions" on the gaskets.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And a missing portion of the gasket on the right. Some of the Parts Catalogs display a PICTURE of the WRONG GASKET (such as Post# 8).