Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2015 200 Pro XS shutting down/not getting fuel

I have a 2015 200 ProXS sn#2B121126. The problem is very random but it will shut down and the primer bulb is sucked flat. I can pump the bulb by hand and it will start back up and run fine. The bulb along with the fuel lines have been replaced with Mercury approved parts. Also, the gas tank has been pulled and inspected and found clean with no trash or obstruction. The tank does vent freely also. The low pressure fuel pump has been replaced also under warranty. Can’t seem to find a cause for this problem. It is very random and may happen once, twice, or more in a day. Or it may not happen at all during a fishing trip. I have it at the shop and mechanics are trying to find the cause of the problem, but it has not happened the two times they have run the boat. I am just searching for any advice or ideas from somebody who may have had this happen or who can give me any ideas. Thanks!!!

2. Member
    Also, it has happened at all different rpm ranges from barely on plane to WO.

3. Member
    If the bulb was "sucked flat" then there IS a blockage, or restriction upstream from the primer bulb.

Faulty Fuel Demand Valve.
    Inner liner on the fuel line is delaminating.
    Pinched fuel line.
    Tank venting issue.

If it is sucked flat, how did you manage to pump it up
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Kind of rolled it around and got it to squeeze. It took awhile to get pumped back up

6. Member
    Does anybody have any idea why it only occurs so randomly? The only fuel line that wasn’t replaced was the line from the tank to the 10 micron filter. Should I get this changed before doing anything else? Also, is there anything the mechanic can look at when it happens? In other words, is it necessary to see it when it happens to make a diagnosis? Any help is appreciated.

You have a fuel restriction some where behind the bulb , this would include the tank vent.
    Last edited by lpugh; 04-06-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    just saw you mentioned tank was cleaned out.... def still need to have an obstruction somewhere
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

9. Member
    or anti siphon valve at tank fitting stuck, if it has one
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MC20 View Post
    Does anybody have any idea why it only occurs so randomly? The only fuel line that wasn’t replaced was the line from the tank to the 10 micron filter. Should I get this changed before doing anything else? Also, is there anything the mechanic can look at when it happens? In other words, is it necessary to see it when it happens to make a diagnosis? Any help is appreciated.
    You should NOT have an external "10 micron filter". The motor has a built in fuel filter. Remove all external filters from the fuel system.

11. Member
    Big 10-4 to Savage's post above.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the pickup tube also... anything changed there?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Update: I took off the 10 µm filter in the boat and now have a straight fuel line from the gas tank to my motor. I just ran the boat and it ran good for approximately 30 minutes making several runs. Then it happened again motor not getting fuel and the primer bulb was sucked flat. Is there anything on the motor that could be causing this or is it definitely from the tank to the motor? Would it be worth just getting a new pickup tube for the tank and replacing it? That is the only thing that hasn’t been replaced on the fuel system. The mechanic said the tank and the pickup all looked fine and the vent was fine. He blew vent out to make sure it wasn’t restricted . Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

14. Member
    I had that happen on a boat I had years ago. The issue was a small flat piece of debris had got caught up in the strainer in the pickup tube. On occasion that piece of debris would rotate and restrict the fuel causing the engine to starve.

15. Member
    Try running your engine off a known good remote tank. If the engine runs fine with no issue, you know the problem is on the other side of the fuel bulb, lines, tank, pickup, vent system, etc.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Member
    can you see where any silicone has ever been used on tank like (sending unit) one tiny piece of it can grow in gasoline when mtr dies it will move away from ptube, hook your fuel line assembly to remote tank go run it no collapse = tank gota come out or vent problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Thanks for the help. I guess I’ll buy a small tank and try to run it. The problem is it’s so random acting up.

18. Member
    I just noticed also that the new fuel lines have arrows on them. This doesn’t show the direction flow is supposed to go does it? If it does my section from primer bulb to motor is backwards.

19. Member
    Something is floating around and once in awhile it lines up perfectly and gets stuck in the line then falls back. It would have to be between your bulb and your tank. Not sure what the intake at the bottom of your tank looks like but it make be picking it up there and then when you stop your engine it falls back into the tank. Just something to think about. Never had this problem so I am just guessing.

20. Member
    I just noticed also that the new fuel lines have arrows on them. This doesn’t show the direction flow is supposed to go does it? If it does my section from primer bulb to motor is backwards.
    If they installed the bulb backwards then that is your problem. There should be arrows on the bulb. be sure they are with the flow. The line doesn't matter. The bulb does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast