Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by IDCI07 View Post
    I was also wondering about this.. will the Gatorback bunks prevent blisters unlike carpeted bunks? I was just at a sportshow and saw the Gatorback product.. has anyone had any experience with the Gatorbacks? I was also wondering if they would scratch the hull up?
    ID, Gatorbak Bunk covers have deep ribs that allow the waterto drain away from the hull and allow air to pass through. Carpet can stay wetfor a long time under the boat, Gatorbak removes this condition by replacingcarpet. To the second part of your question, Gatorbak bunk covers are softerthan your hull and the material will not scratch your hull.

2. Member
    I’ve been curious why no bass boat manufacturers (that I know f) use Gatorbak bunks. I know BassCat experimented with them then dropped the idea. It doesnt look like Vexus is using them either.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

3. Member
    Has anyone ever applied the 3M Clear Paint Protector Film on the space where the hull sets on the bunks?

Just think about that for a second... If the adhesive was strong enough to allow the film to stay in place, it would provide a barrier and there would be no water intrusion from the bunks to the gelcoat. Of course I'm assuming that the film is non-porous.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

4. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    I’ve been curious why no bass boat manufacturers (that I know f) use Gatorbak bunks. I know BassCat experimented with them then dropped the idea. It doesnt look like Vexus is using them either.
    The boat OEMs are not going to spend one dime on anything that doesn't sell a boat. The trailers are the most neglected marine product sold. Make it shiny and it holds the boat. Good enough. None of them cover blistering in the warranty. That condition is specifically excluded. The Bass Cat rear chine on the transom prevents the Gatorbak's (or carpet) on bunks from sitting flat against the hull. Look at most any cat trailer sitting at the ramp and you'll see the 45 degree cuts across the carpet down to the wood.

5. mikesxpress
    Don't think your going to find any film that's going to stay put under the conditions we operate in.

6. Member
    Got my gator baks over 3 yrs ago still holding up great and no blisters so ask yourself this question would I be willing to spend between $400 and $600 dollars to protect my investment or just stay with carpet and pay $4500.00 to get it fixed to just happen again? how much did my boat cost? I think we all know the answer, and we also know where to get them, they recommend not power loading your boat, check any boat manufacturer and read the fine print it will state ( items not covered under warranty cracking , crazing, fading and blistering. ) mikesxpress is spot on.

7. mikesxpress
    I did the initial testing of the Gatorbak bunks on my
    2009 Z21 Intracoastal in 2013. I installed them while the hull was in for blister reparations and have not had any issues since. The original Gatorbak material required you to back the trailer in a bit further and no power loading. The new XP material is power load safe if you choose to do that. I do a combination of both but opt to coast the boat on vs power load whenever I can. Less stress on the trailer components and your not washing out the ramp. A few minor things will need to be done on most Ranger trailers to accommodate the use of the Gatorbak's as they need to have the weight of the hull evenly distributed on the bunks. Current Ranger design has the weight placed on the long center bunks and the outside short bunks only stabilize the hull. You can't see this with carpet as the fluff occupies the gap. I added 3/8" aluminum shims under all 4 outside supports and now have full hull support. No more wet bunks, easy to load, and easy to keep clean. Scrub brush at the ramp with a little Dawn once in awhile and they stay looking like new.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 03-31-2019 at 07:52 AM.

8. mikesxpress
    Here is the loading video with the original bunks:

9. mikesxpress
    Here is a video with the newer clear led lighted bunks:

10. mikesxpress
    Here is a walk around with the lighted XP clear bunks:

If you have any questions you can email me.

11. Member
    I have seen pics of ranger hulls that are blistered all over the bottom of the hulls, not just where it sits on the bunks.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottsdale816 View Post
    I have seen pics of ranger hulls that are blistered all over the bottom of the hulls, not just where it sits on the bunks.
    I would say this if you have seen one that bad, if may be stored on the water (not on land on the trailer) for extended periods of time.
    Most issues with blisters I have seen or heard if were exactly where the bunks are holding moisture against the Hull.

13. Member
    My 2002 ranger 195 black bottom has them

14. Member
    mikesexpress - The lighting on the video (post #30) , Is that light from the led's in the bunks (top or side of bunk)? Or was there additional trailer lighting?

15. mikesxpress
    Gary what your seeing the the transmitted light from the LEDs imbedded in the top of the bunks. The clear covers and white hull move allot of light.

16. Member
    My '04 has them. When I installed Gatorbaks, the hull was smooth over all the bunks except the starboard 6-foot bunk. Over that one it was blistered up. Oh well.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Gary what your seeing the the transmitted light from the LEDs imbedded in the top of the bunks. The clear covers and white hull move allot of light.
    Wow, that's alot of light! Thank you sir.

18. Member
    03 has them. When I replaced my carpet bunks, the factory had run a piece of carpet the length of the top of the board and then covered the entire bunk With another piece of carpet. I’m guessing the carpet stayed wet for years.

19. Member
    All years should be checked - I have seen them on a 1992.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12