Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Truck Throwing Rocks

Anybody dealt with their tires slinging rocks at their boat?

I had stock tires on my 2016 F150 and never had a problem, went to BFG K02's AT in a larger size and they pick up and sling rocks like CRAZY.

Already getting a few chips on my truck paint and some in my fiberglass on the boat. Doe's anyone have some F150 mudflaps that they like and recommend that work for rocks? Or use a Rock Tamer? I don't really like the idea of having to mount the tamer everytime i want to tow.

2. Banned
    Just stay off gravel roads.

I feel your pain. I stopped visiting one ramp in particular because of the perfect sized gravel that my tires picked up. I still get out at the nearest stop sign and pick out the rocks before getting on a high-speed road. Not worth it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Just stay off gravel roads.
    Thanks for the suggestion... now anybody have any that are actually possible? I'm not sure how little driving you do, but gravel is everywhere. Storage unit lots, driveways, boat ramps, dirt roads... everywhere. You can not possibly "stay off gravel roads." What happens is the rocks get stuck in the tread and don't come off until you're flying down the highway and they come dislodged and launch into your truck/boat.

Towtector (skirt style) or Rock Guard (rubber mat like style). I have the TowTector. It greatly reduces the road mist from wet roads and I've found several pebbles / smaller rocks in the skirt directly behind the dually tires. If something were to happen to it today, I'd have another one on order by tonight.

6. Member
    i took a set of those tires off my truck because they were rock chipping my truck and boat bad.

7. Member
    I made the mistake of switching Michelin AT2's to BFG AT's on my old Tundra. The BFG's looked LOTS better, but like you figured out they love to pick up stuff on the road. Wait till you pull your boat down an unimproved road LOL. They also cost me a MPG or two. IF...IF you go off road quite a bit they make a FANTASTIC AT tire! Most of us don't really need them. Sherm Truss delivered one of my boats through a huge snow storm, I was amazed at how clean it was. He always pulls with a TowTector. I was sold on them after seeing the roads where he lives.

http://towtector.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw...RoC3NYQAvD_BwE

My current 2018 Tundra also has Michelin AT2's. To be honest I think when they are gone I am going the other way with Michelin LTX M/S.

Rocktamers

9. Member
    I'll just say don't bother with the weathertech mud flaps. I have them. They are just OK for my rear fender but provide no protection for anything being towed.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

10. Member
    The BFG AT KO2 does grab, hold and throw rocks! I currently have a set of Nitto 35x12.5 20's and they look, and ride much better. They are much quieter on the highway and don't pick up rocks nearly as bad.

11. Member
    I have a Tow Tector and it really helps prevent rocks from hitting the boat or trailer. I learned this lesson to late as my trailer paint job is mared with chiped paint from towing down limestone rocky roads. I am not going to repaint it until I get ready to sell the entire rig when I get to old to fish.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drgrammer View Post
    The BFG AT KO2 does grab, hold and throw rocks! I currently have a set of Nitto 35x12.5 20's and they look, and ride much better. They are much quieter on the highway and don't pick up rocks nearly as bad.
    Nitto makes lots of different tires in that size.. Which ones do you have? You say quieter, so I'm guessing Terra grapplers. That's a way different tire than a Ko2.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Nitto makes lots of different tires in that size.. Which ones do you have? You say quieter, so I'm guessing Terra grapplers. That's a way different tire than a Ko2.
    My apologies! I thought I included the model in my original reply.

I have the Nitto Ridge Grappler. Fantastic tire!

14. Member
    A lot of problem is The Wider Tires and Sticking beyond Fender wells...There every where...In the last 3y I had to repair or replace 5 windshields...and in 4 of those I was following or meeting a Pickup on 2 lane road paved road that had wide stance..

Rock Tamers fixed mine.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

16. Member
    Tire selection is the root cause of your problem.

I was glad to ditch the previous set of tires I had on my truck because of this issue.

I agree and disagree with that statement.

Yes, tires with little tiny tread will help with not grabbing on to small stones but won't be worth spit if you need a better off road type tire than the wimpy street tires are not going to help you.

Now if you can afford a boat only tow vehicle then I agree or a spare set of wheels and tire you could put on when you want to take the boat out.

Rock Tamers cheaper and easier fix.
    Last edited by Rick H; 04-28-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

How handy are you ? I have seen several guys take the old style mud flap holders and cut them down to fit inside the trucks wheel well. Cutting the hard rubber mud flap to fit. Here is the old style hanger, it is held to the truck frame by a square holder

19. Member
    I saw a Ranger trailer at a boat ramp that had mud flaps mounted on the tongue of the tailer.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

20. Member
    I made my own set of Rock Tamers and then keep them bolted to the hitch receiver for the season, as I use them with my snowmobile trailer and my boat.

IMG_20180120_174937854.jpgIMG_20180120_175017554.jpg
    2008 Ranger Z520 DC 2016 Suzuki 250SS
    1997 Javelin 400TDC 1997 Johnson 200 Venom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast