Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Megabass Perfect Pitch

So I build rods and didn't really need another but I've been interested in the Perfect Pitch for a while based on a lot of reviews I read. A gen 1 came up on the sell board and I picked it up. It's obviously really well built and I really like the feel of the blank but this thing weighs like 6.5oz. I just built a 7'6" NFC IM flip stick that weighs 3.7...how's fishing this Megabass all day? Seems unnecessarily heavy.

2. Banned
    Yep, thats why I sold mine. I have a 13 Omen that feels better, and weighs less, and for 1/2 the price. Sometimes you just pay for the name....

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Yep, thats why I sold mine. I have a 13 Omen that feels better, and weighs less, and for 1/2 the price. Sometimes you just pay for the name....

Dick's™ had a heck of a deal on the 13Fishing™ 'Black' (which is actually a neon Lime) rods were $79 and combos (blk non-descript 13Fishing reel for $99 regularly $149)

Reel is like a black colored Origin™ The 2 ones I picked up felt great and they still spun, which is a +

The Richards™ in Ocala has a 20?? co-ed wearing Yoga pants, She was folding pants yesterday and doing a great job and She and I spoke for a good 10 min. and She didn't say anything about guns or Amendments or anything. Taking My Wife up there this weekend and I'll pop in and see if She is working

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Dick's™ had a heck of a deal on the 13Fishing™ 'Black' (which is actually a neon Lime) rods were $79 and combos (blk non-descript 13Fishing reel for $99 regularly $149)

Reel is like a black colored Origin™ The 2 ones I picked up felt great and they still spun, which is a +

The Richards™ in Ocala has a 20?? co-ed wearing Yoga pants, She was folding pants yesterday and doing a great job and She and I spoke for a good 10 min. and She didn't say anything about guns or Amendments or anything. Taking My Wife up there this weekend and I'll pop in and see if She is working

Address???

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    A XX Perfect Pitch balances very well with any of the Tatula models. I usually have a a Tat CT on mine. It's an easy rod to throw all day and it has that Megabass "magic tip".

I have a few OG St Croix MH Legend Extremes that are about half the weight of the XX PP and they are tip heavy and nowhere near as easy to fish as my PP.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    So I build rods and didn't really need another but I've been interested in the Perfect Pitch for a while based on a lot of reviews I read. A gen 1 came up on the sell board and I picked it up. It's obviously really well built and I really like the feel of the blank but this thing weighs like 6.5oz. I just built a 7'6" NFC IM flip stick that weighs 3.7...how's fishing this Megabass all day? Seems unnecessarily heavy.

I have thrown 3/4 and 1 ounce jigs all day on ledges with the PP and I am baffled at how you can say it’s heavy. Granted its not 3.7 ounces but then again, I dont want to hook a double digit bass with a kite string or something I am going to have to worry about exploding on one good fish surge. Lighter isnt always better, I mean we arent talking about a sack of potatoes here.

7. Member
    To me, it's never about overall rod weight. It's about rod balance. Holding a combo that weighs 10-13oz shouldn't strain anyone. But fishing with a 10-13oz combo that's unbalanced does becomes a strain.

8. Banned
    The envy rods I had snapped if you looked at em wrong. Sucked. All three in the trash

Quote Originally Posted by capt1fish View Post
    To me, it's never about overall rod weight. It's about rod balance. Holding a combo that weighs 10-13oz shouldn't strain anyone. But fishing with a 10-13oz combo that's unbalanced does becomes a strain.
    Exactly. Weigh the Megabass F8-710XX Aklys in the XX line up - it's "heavy" in overall weight, but actually feels incredibly light in hand when you fish the rod with the reel mounted. Megabass does a very nice job overall when it comes to tastefully and artfully adding weight where it's necessary. Unfortunately, the race to the bottom of the weight war is focused on nothing more than making the "lightest" rod possible for marketing purposes. This doesn't translate to enhanced performance or overall comfort in most cases, rather, it's focused on bragging rights. While I can appreciate a light weight rod, the lightest isn't always the best...

I throw a ton of stuff on the Perfect Pitch. I often fish one all say long. Never have I felt one was heavy or tiresome to fish with. To me they are very balanced and transit very well. I have had a lot of people buy some after fishing with mine. I have had multiple if that model in all 4 lineups since its inception. My favorite model by far.

11. Banned
    My PP was tip heavy. And that was even with a TD Zillion mounted on it. I was very disappointed in the rod overall. The only good thing is I didn't pay MSRP, and I made $20 selling it. Lol

12. Banned
    I haven’t used a gen 1 PP, but I’d almost swear the gen2 & old levante’s weigh less than 6.5oz. If I remember, I’ll weigh mine tonight.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    I have thrown 3/4 and 1 ounce jigs all day on ledges with the PP and I am baffled at how you can say it’s heavy. Granted its not 3.7 ounces but then again, I dont want to hook a double digit bass with a kite string or something I am going to have to worry about exploding on one good fish surge. Lighter isnt always better, I mean we arent talking about a sack of potatoes here.
    Not sure what's baffling, 6.34 oz (weighed it again last night) is heavy for a rod. I build rods on a lot of different blanks and have caught a lot of good fish. I'm not in double digit bass country but have never had a fish blow up a light rod...landed a number of 15+ flathead on sub 4oz rods.

We'll have to agree to disagree on lighter isn't always better, same blank, different build, one heavy and one light...the lighter one is better at least for me anyway.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Exactly. Weigh the Megabass F8-710XX Aklys in the XX line up - it's "heavy" in overall weight, but actually feels incredibly light in hand when you fish the rod with the reel mounted. Megabass does a very nice job overall when it comes to tastefully and artfully adding weight where it's necessary. Unfortunately, the race to the bottom of the weight war is focused on nothing more than making the "lightest" rod possible for marketing purposes. This doesn't translate to enhanced performance or overall comfort in most cases, rather, it's focused on bragging rights. While I can appreciate a light weight rod, the lightest isn't always the best...
    This rod is one of maybe 4 rods out of the 40+ I have that's factory. Just seemed like an interesting one to me since I read a lot about it, it's a beautifully finished rod no doubt and I'll certainly give it a fair shake. The weight just surprised me. Like I said above to the other guy...same blank one build significantly heavier than the other, the lighter one is going to be more sensitive.

15. Member
    I have 5 of the gen 1 orochi xx and have no complaints. Heavy or light, they feel and look good in my hand while fishing and in the boat lol. Most importantly they work very well at what they were designed for.

16. Member
    For you guys that have the Perfect Pitch and love it, what would you say it's best at? I'm thinking obviously pitchin jigs but also frogs, 4-5" boot tails and swim jigs maybe?

For you guys that have the Perfect Pitch and love it, what would you say it's best at? I'm thinking obviously pitchin jigs but also frogs, 4-5" boot tails and swim jigs maybe?
    . I bought this rod knowing it would would be a little heavier...... but my sole purpose in buying the perfect pitch was making it my frog rod.... and it excels at that, it has a light enough tip to walk frogs and powerful enough to get a great hookset.....i wouldnt want a lighter frog rod...

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Address???
    That's just wrong
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 03-27-2019 at 07:21 PM.

19. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Frogs, frogs, frogs.....and dragging football jigs.

I use a Diablo Spec-R for boot tails and swimjigs (I have 3 DS-Rs).
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

20. Banned
    Chris Zaldain said he was throwing his swimbait on the PP, kind of suprised me; but it is pretty stout.

I weighed my gen 2 XX PP and it was a hair under 6oz (has a Fuji keeper on it, but it can’t weigh much)

The gen 1 Levante PP was right at 5oz with a Fuji keeper on it too. I know these didn’t seem to be liked very much, but my Levante is a way better frog walking rod (softer tip) than my XX is/has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast