What are Actual Technical Differences in the New Merc 4 Stroke 300xs and 300R???

What are the Actual Technical Differences in the New Merc 4 Stroke 300xs and 300R??? Both motors will have 1:75 gears with a Torque master gearcase.
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    What are the Actual Technical Differences in the New Merc 4 Stroke 300xs and 300R??? Both motors will have 1:75 gears with a Torque master gearcase.
    The 300XS was an OPTIMAX, Direct Injected, 3.2L Two-Stroke engine.

The 300R is a FOURSTROKE 4.6L Engine.

Though the gearcase looks similar, the 4-stroke TM Gearcase is a completely different gearcase.

There are also a number of separate models for each (26 unique model numbers for the 300R, currently).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The 300XS was an OPTIMAX, Direct Injected, 3.2L Two-Stroke engine.

The 300R is a FOURSTROKE 4.6L Engine.

Though the gearcase looks similar, the 4-stroke TM Gearcase is a completely different gearcase.

There are also a number of separate models for each (26 unique model numbers for the 300R, currently).
    Don im referring to the new 4 STROKE 300XS and the New 4 STROKE 300R.... They are two different motors on the Mercury and Mercury Racing Websites. Different cowling stickers too.
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

5. Member
    300R has oil cooler and diff Intake. and super cool decals. turns more rpm
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    Glock, I think you mean 300 Pro XS compared to the 300R. The 300 XS was an Opti.

Quote Originally Posted by cintaskevin View Post
    Glock, I think you mean 300 Pro XS compared to the 300R. The 300 XS was an Opti.
    Correct, my bad. Yes the new 4 stroke 300 Proxs
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Racing vs. Production Model Warranty Period, and the ProXS qualifies for longer Product Protection (which is less expensive).

There are a number of gearcase and trim/mid choices in the 300R that are not available in the "ProXS" model.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    if the topic is still 4.6 v8 400 proxs vs 4.6 v8 300r.
    numerous articles refrence oil cooler and shorter intake runners when comparing 300r to 300 pro xs. As well as mercuryparts web lists oil cooler only on 300r. and diff part# on runners. so I assumed they were in fact different parts.
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

I guess what I'm getting at is which is it worth it to spend a few more thousand to go with the 300R over the 300 ProXS.... I mean Horsepower should be the same. I know the Racing engine will be more powerful, but really how much? Can you tell a NOTICABLE difference to justify the money?
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    Based on the CARB numbers that were posted here, the 300 Pro XS is what 296? and the 300R was 316? If I remember correctly.

And different cam profile, solid mounts, available HD mid, sport master gear case, tie bar etc. Different animal than the ProXS.
    Last edited by Wave to Wave; 03-29-2019 at 10:00 AM.

13. Member
    cam too ?? i want one now.
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

cam too ?? i want one now.
    If you don't need the solid mounts, or sport master, then the ProXS is fine. For faster boats, you need the solid mounts, and the sport master, and the higher RPM range is nice.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    If you don't need the solid mounts, or sport master, then the ProXS is fine. For faster boats, you need the solid mounts, and the sport master, and the higher RPM range is nice.

I mean do you really "need" a 300? :)

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    Based on the CARB numbers that were posted here, the 300 Pro XS is what 296? and the 300R was 316? If I remember correctly.
    Don't put stock in that info for real performance data. We won't be posting any more of it, either.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    300R is quite a bite more than the CARB numbers.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    I guess what I'm getting at is which is it worth it to spend a few more thousand to go with the 300R over the 300 ProXS.... I mean Horsepower should be the same. I know the Racing engine will be more powerful, but really how much? Can you tell a NOTICABLE difference to justify the money?
    YES ,Nope ,A lot on top, Yep Get the R

Thanks guys :)
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

20. Member
    The ProXS will have a bit more low end torque and the R will have a bit more top end HP. Also the 300R is available with a sportmaster in either 1.62 or 1.75. What are you looking to do?
    Last edited by RSWORDS; 10-12-2019 at 07:26 AM.