Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There was a thread here in the BBC KY boards when the announcement was released. If my memory is correct it had a mixture of dislike, like and did not care either way. Here is a link with their rules and you can also look at their schedule and results...https://www.renegadebasstournaments.com/rules.asp...rule #7 is 3 fish

2. Member
    Its taking 20+ to win anything 5 fish out there right now and will probably stay that way the next week or 2. The next full moon is the 19th and youll see a lot of fish go id imagine and itll slow down. They typically always have the big wave of spawners the 3rd or 4th week of april. I know of 3 tournies on green this saturday for sure and would imagine there will be more.
    They aint got hands, set the hook

3. Member
    Last edited by Slig; 04-09-2019 at 11:19 AM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    What it take to win the Bluegrass Club? Water clearing up any?
    Haven't seen the official results but took a little over 20 lbs to win and I think 18+ to get a check.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I know of 3 tournies on green this saturday for sure and would imagine there will be more.
    Saturday... hell they got one Thursday. At the ramp this morning I made the comment to the guy unloading next to me that there sure is a lot of people on the water for a Tuesday. He said several Renegade boats were out today trying to locate something for Thursday because they have a division for people age 50 and over that have a tournament Thursday. Green was pounded with boats today. They are getting beat up pretty good. I had a couple keepers that has rips in their lips so they were retreads...I almost feel sorry for the people who have to fish on weekends. I am glad I work every Saturday. Sunday, Monday and Tuesdays are my days off and I like fishing on Mondays and but I really like Tuesdays best. At times you have the entire lake to yourself but not when fishing is prime because it seems like boats are everywhere on Mondays and Tuesdays when fishing is prime.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Saturday... hell they got one Thursday. At the ramp this morning I made the comment to the guy unloading next to me that there sure is a lot of people on the water for a Tuesday. He said several Renegade boats were out today trying to locate something for Thursday because they have a division for people age 50 and over that have a tournament Thursday. Green was pounded with boats today. They are getting beat up pretty good. I had a couple keepers that has rips in their lips so they were retreads...I almost feel sorry for the people who have to fish on weekends. I am glad I work every Saturday. Sunday, Monday and Tuesdays are my days off and I like fishing on Mondays and but I really like Tuesdays best. At times you have the entire lake to yourself but not when fishing is prime because it seems like boats are everywhere on Mondays and Tuesdays when fishing is prime.
    Enjoy the good times is all I have to say. Won’t be long before 5-10 lb is winning tournaments there.

AGAIN

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Enjoy the good times is all I have to say. Won’t be long before 5-10 lb is winning tournaments there.

AGAIN
    that lake has flourished since the white bass left. Now theyre stocking them again and were catching some big ones and i have a feeling we’ll see the bass fishing decline soon due to that and the crazy pressure that lakes getting. I went yesterday after work for a couple hours and the lake was crazy crowded on a tuesday late afternoon. It is what it is and the lakes arent going to get any less pressure anytime soon so we just have to figure out how to catch em

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    that lake has flourished since the white bass left. Now theyre stocking them again and were catching some big ones and i have a feeling we’ll see the bass fishing decline soon due to that and the crazy pressure that lakes getting. I went yesterday after work for a couple hours and the lake was crazy crowded on a tuesday late afternoon. It is what it is and the lakes arent going to get any less pressure anytime soon so we just have to figure out how to catch em
    Never heard that about the white bass. What happened to that population? There's a lot more shad for bass and crappie if white bass aren't present. Those things are ferocious hunters.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Never heard that about the white bass. What happened to that population? There's a lot more shad for bass and crappie if white bass aren't present. Those things are ferocious hunters.

Nobody actually knows. Back when the bass fishing was bad youd see the whites in the jumps every morning and night. We used to keep an ultralight handy when you were fishing in case the jumps came up close by. They completely disappeared and the bass fishing exploded to what it is now. We went a lot of years without even catching a white and there were no jumps on the lake. They started stocking again a few years ago and while were not seeing the jumps well catch a big one every now and then bass fishing (2-4lbs). If they make a big comeback no doubt the bass fishing will sugger

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    This one is going to be long so if you don't like reading then skip my reply...I debated before making my reply because not all my information has been verified so I will give the disclaimer my statement has not been validated.

It is true white bass once thrived in Green River Lake but now they have to be stocked to have a sustainable population. I remember back in the 80's and 90's having huge white bass runs in the headwaters in the spring. I am talking everyone caught 30 keepers. Then as summer hit you could go out on the main lake and catch them in the jumps early morning and late afternoon. This went on for years but somewhere around the 2005 time frame white bass started to disappear.

As for the bass they thrived well after the lake was impounded but the size and quality was never that great after the lake got 10-15 years old. I am not old enough to fish the lake since day one but my neighbor has bass fish GRL since the day it was impounded so he knows how it was back in the beginning. So bass thrived well from 1970 all the way up to about the mid 80's or late 90's. Then they started getting small and less present. If you follow the timeline of the peak of the white bass you will see as the white bass thrived the bass started to decline. Then as I said earlier around 2005 + or - the white bass just started to disappear and that is when the bass population started getting bigger and when I say bigger I am talking size and numbers. Now so far what I have posted can be verified by multiple people who fish Green. I might be off some on the timeline but they way it happened is correct. The next part is what I am skeptical about because it was just hearsay but it does make sense when you look at things from the circle of life standpoint.

Somewhere in the early 2000's alwives got introduced into the lake. I know I have never seen an alewife on Green but from what I have read they are an open water subspecies of Herring that stay deep and only come up at night. Since I rarely fish at night I would never even have the chance to see or hear them. Anyways it is suspected that someone was going to Lake Cumberland and catching alwives and using them on Green for live bait. When done they would dump their bait. Doing this enough times there was a population established. Now again this is from what I was told but alwives feed heavily on white bass fingerlings. White bass spawn a lot different than LM,SM and KY's. White bass run to the headwaters and lay their eggs in current and the male will fertilize the eggs as they turn in current. Once hatched the fry/fingerlings will migrate all the way back out to the main lake. It just so happens white bass and alwives often share the same water space on the main lake and this is where the alwives have destroyed the fingerling white bass population. White bass did not just disappear one day. It was a progression of time. It took a few years for anglers to wipe out the big keeper size whites and then the alwives were wiping out the fingerlings so it took a period of time for white bass to disappeared.

Now I know some are thinking how does this affect the bass population. Alwives are suppose to have more protien than any of the baitfish species that bass feed on in Green River Lake. Think about how they are essentially raising world record spotted bass in New Bullards Bar in California. They purposely overstock the lake with trout so the spots can have a high protein diet. Well bass in Green now have a food option in alwives that is higher in protein than what they had in the past. I remember the last year I fished the Green River Bass Club was somewhere around 2003 or 2004. I got second in points but it was not because I was catching limits it was because that season only 2 boats had a keeper fish at every tournament and I was one of those boats. Note I said a keeper fish not a limit or a big limit but just caught a keeper fish. The time white bass flourished was definitely the time bass were poor. A few years ago I was at a outdoor hunting/fishing seminar and a KDFW biologist gave a seminar about pond management. After it was over I spoke to him and point blank ask if what I was told was true. His reply was Green is not in my district but he gave me the name of the biologist assigned to Green and said I should ask him. He said it sounded plausible be he could not confirm. He did however say he was recently assigned to the hatchery and saw the stocking report and knew Green was scheduled to get multiple white bass stockings for multiple years. I then said if the story I was told was true then the alwives would eat them. His reply was fish raised in a hatchery are never let lose at a size where they would be easy prey. They would be too big for an alwive to eat. I never did follow up with the biologist assigned to Green but I will always wonder if the story I was told is true.

I am sorry for such a long reply and I really don't like posting second hand information or speculation. I just find it strange the story I was told fit the timeline of the ups and downs of white bass and black bass. If alwives are high in protien and this helps the bass population then great. If alwives eat fingerling white bass and KDFW is willing to stock them to keep a sustainable population then so be it. I don't know exactly what happen but the last 10 -12 years Gren has fish the best I have ever seen. I think the bass population may have peaked 3-4 years ago but its still on a high note. What scares me is 3-4 years ago is when the white bass stocking began so it may take a few years to see how or if this impacts the black bass population.
    Last edited by JR19; 04-10-2019 at 08:35 PM.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    This one is going to be long so if you don't like reading then skip my reply...I debated before making my reply because not all my information has been verified so I will give the disclaimer my statement has not been validated.

It is true white bass once thrived in Green River Lake but now they have to be stocked to have a sustainable population. I remember back in the 80's and 90's having huge white bass runs in the headwaters in the spring. I am talking everyone caught 30 keepers. Then as summer hit you could go out on the main lake and catch them in the jumps early morning and late afternoon. This went on for years but somewhere around the 2005 time frame white bass started to disappear.

As for the bass they thrived well after the lake was impounded but the size and quality was never that great after the lake got 10-15 years old. I am not old enough to fish the lake since day one but my neighbor has bass fish GRL since the day it was impounded so he knows how it was back in the beginning. So bass thrived well from 1970 all the way up to about the mid 80's or late 90's. Then they started getting small and less present. If you follow the timeline of the peak of the white bass you will see as the white bass thrived the bass started to decline. Then as I said earlier around 2005 + or - the white bass just started to disappear and that is when the bass population started getting bigger and when I say bigger I am talking size and numbers. Now so far what I have posted can be verified by multiple people who fish Green. I might be off some on the timeline but they way it happened is correct. The next part is what I am skeptical about because it was just hearsay but it does make sense when you look at things from the circle of life standpoint.

Somewhere in the early 2000's alwives got introduced into the lake. I know I have never seen an alewife on Green but from what I have read they are an open water subspecies of Herring that stay deep and only come up at night. Since I rarely fish at night I would never even have the chance to see or hear them. Anyways it is suspected that someone was going to Lake Cumberland and catching alwives and using them on Green for live bait. When done they would dump their bait. Doing this enough times there was a population established. Now again this is from what I was told but alwives feed heavily on white bass fingerlings. White bass spawn a lot different than LM,SM and KY's. White bass run to the headwaters and lay their eggs in current and the male will fertilize the eggs as they turn in current. Once hatched the fry/fingerlings will migrate all the way back out to the main lake. It just so happens white bass and alwives often share the same water space on the main lake and this is where the alwives have destroyed the fingerling white bass population. White bass did not just disappear one day. It was a progression of time. It took a few years for anglers to wipe out the big keeper size whites and then the alwives were wiping out the fingerlings so it took a period of time for white bass to disappeared.

Now I know some are thinking how does this affect the bass population. Alwives are suppose to have more protien than any of the baitfish species that bass feed on in Green River Lake. Think about how they are essentially raising world record spotted bass in New Bullards Bar in California. They purposely overstock the lake with trout so the spots can have a high protein diet. Well bass in Green now have a food option in alwives that is higher in protein than what they had in the past. I remember the last year I fished the Green River Bass Club was somewhere around 2003 or 2004. I got second in points but it was not because I was catching limits it was because that season only 2 boats had a keeper fish at every tournament and I was one of those boats. Note I said a keeper fish not a limit or a big limit but just caught a keeper fish. The time white bass flourished was definitely the time bass were poor. A few years ago I was at a outdoor hunting/fishing seminar and a KDFW biologist gave a seminar about pond management. After it was over I spoke to him and point blank ask if what I was told was true. His reply was Green is not in my district but he gave me the name of the biologist assigned to Green and said I should ask him. He said it sounded plausible be he could not confirm. He did however say he was recently assigned to the hatchery and saw the stocking report and knew Green was scheduled to get multiple white bass stockings for multiple years. I then said if the story I was told was true then the alwives would eat them. His reply was fish raised in a hatchery are never let lose at a size where they would be easy prey. They would be too big for an alwive to eat. I never did follow up with the biologist assigned to Green but I will always wonder if the story I was told is true.

I am sorry for such a long reply and I really don't like posting second hand information or speculation. I just find it strange the story I was told fit the timeline of the ups and downs of white bass and black bass. If alwives are high in protien and this helps the bass population then great. If alwives eat fingerling white bass and KDFW is willing to stock them to keep a sustainable population then so be it. I don't know exactly what happen but the last 10 -12 years Gren has fish the best I have ever seen. I think the bass population may have peaked 3-4 years ago but its still on a high note. What scares me is 3-4 years ago is when the white bass stocking began so it may take a few years to see how or if this impacts the black bass population.
    I know your biologist but I won’t ask him about white bass, it is clear their demise has everything to do with the current fishing on GRL. Everyone I have talked to agrees.

I have also heard about the alewives that has made Cumberlanda bit tougher, I don’t think that is the reason. I believe alewives would have a massive die off every year and unlike shad they can’t just live anywhere.

Good post though, I enjoyed reading it.

Was there a tourny yesterday(Thursday)?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Was there a tourny yesterday(Thursday)?
    Yes, took 19,18,17,16

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12