Santee Accommodations

I'm looking for a new place to stay on the lake. I like the canal area. Can anyone tell me if Hill's and Mac's are ok? I haven't stayed at Hill's since it was Ray's place years ago, and it was pretty rough. I have eaten there and that's pretty good. I don't know anything about Hill's exceptn it gets good reviews on the Google.
    Any suggestions are appreciated. I'd rather not stay up by 95 if possible.

Thanks

fishndav

Blacks Fish Camp. Stay right there at the Diversion Canal with access to both lakes, a small tackle shop/mini mart, and a restaurant.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishndav View Post
    I'm looking for a new place to stay on the lake. I like the canal area. Can anyone tell me if Hill's and Mac's are ok? I haven't stayed at Hill's since it was Ray's place years ago, and it was pretty rough

fishndav
    If the “Ray” you’re talking about is Ray Sedgwick, he owns Canal Lakes Landing. It’s on one side of the bridge crossing the canal, Hills is on the other. Good food the times I’ve eaten there.

If I was looking for a place in that area to stay it would be Blacks.

4. Member
    Yeah, Ray Sedgwick. It was a long time ago I stayed there a few times. I would have bet $100 that it was what is now Hill's. I wouldn't have mentioned a name if I thought it was still in business. I'[m sure it's in better shape now than back in the day.

Thanks

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Blacks Fish Camp. Stay right there at the Diversion Canal with access to both lakes, a small tackle shop/mini mart, and a restaurant.
    Just returned from a 6 day trip to Santee last week, and stayed at Blacks. I honestly can't say enough bad things about it. The room was fine, but the restaurant was terrible, the parking was fine until it got close to the weekend and then it was a train wreck. I literally went 3 days without toilet paper or clean towels after not only putting my sign on the door to have my room made up, but actually calling them form the lake while fishing asking that it be done.

It was my first time there, but the guys I was with stay at Black's every year, and everyone of them said they would not be back.

There are too many nice places around Santee to stay at Black's. Just one mans opinion from a 1 week stay so take it for what it is worth. I know I will not be back though.

6. Member
    Check Santee State Park . Stayed there years ago in one of their cabins . Was real nice then . Not been there in years though . Wherever you stay , I would not leave anything in my boat that I didn't want stolen . Several friends got all their rods stolen at one of the fish camps , which I will not name , because they left their rods in their boat . Be careful .

7. Member
    We stayed at Blacks back in the 90's and early 2000's on cat fishing trips with work.During this era, Black's was pretty decent. The place had been updated at that time. I was there a few times 2011-2013. It had gone down hill, the restaurant was completely dead, service was terrible and guy at the counter was rude.

8. Member
    Bells has nice rooms

9. Member
    Hill's is a nice place to stay. Nothing fancy but clean. Food is ok but the Canal Lakes across the road is much better. We go every year but waited to late to get a room this year and will be staying at Harry's. Never been there before, so going with fingers crossed.