2003 Mercury 90HP stutters on full throttle take off

I purchased a used boat last year and everything ran fine. I noticed late in the season and into winter that it would hesitate and stutter when trying to full throttle to get on pad. After a few seconds, it takes off and gets on pad and runs fine. At this point, it has become pretty consistent in this state of running. I may have sinned because I've been putting regular unleaded in it. My buddy told me when I got it that I should have been putting a higher octane in there but I failed and chose what was convenient around the house a few times. I was putting non ethanol in it originally but I was having to tote it back and fourth from a station near my work in a five gallon can and it just became inconvenient.

So without knowing a lot about boat engines, I'm thinking that I may have some clogged carbs. I have changed the fuel filter, not because of this but for regular maint. Nothing has changed.

Could my assumption be correct in the dirty carb issue? I've added seafoam and startron but nothing has made it run better at this point.

2. Member
    sounds to me like needs carbs adjusted and timming set or checked /good tune up might help/I don't have much luck with liquid fixes
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    You may want to check your spark plugs chances are you may have one or more fouled. Good luck.