Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Enough is enough with (all really) Humminbird mounts.

I love my new Solix. It is fantastic really....with one MAJOR (%#@#&*) COMPLAINT! The mounting system is, once again, as always, a joke. Let me pontificate. I was just fishing at Guntersville, and every night my boat was left at a dock exposed to the lake. Am I going too leave 3000$ worth of Solix at my helm? Nope, not even in my driveway. First those stupid knurled knobs have to be almost completely undone to remove and attach the Solix from the poorly designed u shaped bracket. I have already ordered replacement knobs as soon one will fall into the lake...or worse yet, the Solix itself. Once on, one has to navigate the pin/screw system used to attach cables....sheeeeesh. There is so little space between the bracket and the cables/screws that it is a struggle to get them in place and I have already had to bend some pins back in place from the battle. One could try to attach the cables and then mount the bracket...Solix in a lake. And, if one attempts to tilt the unit up more than one click, the connectors are pushed against the back of the unit and the bracket. How long till that causes a problem and you have to buy a whole new expensive transducer? This is ridiculous. Flat out poor design with the connections in the wrong place..my humble opinion... The cable mounts on my 898HD SI were a step in the right direction, so... Why is the mount system always the last thing to be considered; or so it would seem? OK, so does anyone make after market parts to solve this should have been solved a long time ago problem? Like a pig-tail between the cables or a decent bracket?
    Frustrated by decades of nonsense.

2. Member
    Magnetic cable connects would be a nice feature.

Alrighty then....
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbenderman View Post
    I love my new Solix. It is fantastic really....with one MAJOR (%#@#&*) COMPLAINT! The mounting system is, once again, as always, a joke. Let me pontificate. I was just fishing at Guntersville, and every night my boat was left at a dock exposed to the lake. Am I going too leave 3000$ worth of Solix at my helm? Nope, not even in my driveway. First those stupid knurled knobs have to be almost completely undone to remove and attach the Solix from the poorly designed u shaped bracket. I have already ordered replacement knobs as soon one will fall into the lake...or worse yet, the Solix itself. Once on, one has to navigate the pin/screw system used to attach cables....sheeeeesh. There is so little space between the bracket and the cables/screws that it is a struggle to get them in place and I have already had to bend some pins back in place from the battle. One could try to attach the cables and then mount the bracket...Solix in a lake. And, if one attempts to tilt the unit up more than one click, the connectors are pushed against the back of the unit and the bracket. How long till that causes a problem and you have to buy a whole new expensive transducer? This is ridiculous. Flat out poor design with the connections in the wrong place..my humble opinion... The cable mounts on my 898HD SI were a step in the right direction, so... Why is the mount system always the last thing to be considered; or so it would seem? OK, so does anyone make after market parts to solve this should have been solved a long time ago problem? Like a pig-tail between the cables or a decent bracket?
    Thats why I use Ram Mounts. I take mine off when in boat house, lots easier to take off with Ram Mount than dealing with the gimble mount.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbenderman View Post

Cisco systems,

6. Banned
    I would take the mounting system and connections on my Solix vs my Helix any day.

7. Member
    If you check, most of the premium finders have similar connectors. They do not get intermittent connections. I would suggest the ram mounts with the direct connection to the Solix( no gimbal mount). If you disconnect so much maybe the Helix would suit you better.

8. Banned
    Just use locks instead of the knurled knobs.....

9. Member

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    GENIUS!!!
    Depending on the material used, that should/could double as a way to keep the cover on during travel.
    2015 Phoenix 819

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I would take the mounting system and connections on my Solix vs my Helix any day.
    Absolutely! I'm hoping that the Solix connections are the way of the future.

I was thinking of suggesting that the OP get a Helix and deal with the intermittent connection but...

I have a stabil mount for my Solix. One hand screw and it lifts off/splits in the middle. Leave the Solix bracket on the unit.

12. Member
    The solix is mounted on a RAM swing arm to the right of the steering wheel because I like to see what's in front of me in the water...snicker. I thought of the locks but I would also have to have locks for the RAM mount; in two places. Otherwise, snip snip, unscrew a knob, bye bye Solix. This weekend my club will put 19 boats in the water at Lake Anna. I guarantee you, 100% of these guys will remove and lock up their expensive sonars whether they keep their boat at the motel dock or in the lot. And I never leave it on when traveling. I am not alone here. Just please Humminbird...this has gone on long enough...please...next time surprise the hell out of us with a system that can be disconnected and attached quickly and easily. Cudos to Doug; was about to do the same. Smoochies
    Last edited by hellbenderman; 03-26-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: thank a commenter

13. Member
    Got mine on a swing arm mount also. I just unscrew the bottom knob with through bolt. gimbal mount comes right off. Screw bottom knob back into the mount and done. No more than minute.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    Cisco systems,
    Cisco? You running that thing Tugger? Thing sure is purdy. Love to hear a little more detail on how it works? Wish that base plate was round, smaller footprint...

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Cisc...xoCr8IQAvD_BwE

500-7.jpg
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSU Fishing View Post
    GENIUS!!!
    Depending on the material used, that should/could double as a way to keep the cover on during travel.
    :facepalm:

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    Just to elaborate, drilled a hole through knobs, pop rivet a swivel on. Thread paracord through. Use heat shrink tubing to get a finished end. Ran through a plastic tube on top that is hot melt glued to the back of the finder. No twisting of the cord with the swivel on. I have done similar attachments on other finders. Manufacturers should provide some type of attachment.

Fishfreq

Yeah, I used the one you show on your post for 6 years on the console of a Lund. Still looks new! Very nice adjustability and ease of removal with 2 hand thghtened screws. Best of all, the thing is super stout. I highly reccomend it. If you wanted a round base you could probably ask them to machine it that way for you or have a local machine shop round the corners. Probably be a $20 job at most.

The lever you see covered with black rubber tilts the unit back and forward. The base is cogged and loaded to adjust for rotation. So you jus lift up under spting tension to lift the cogs out of each oyher and rotste to desired angle and let spring tension bring the cogs back to gether to lock in place. Great system.

19. Member
    Sold my balzout mounts and I still have a kong mount but the Cisco is the best one for me. Don't need any tools to adjust. 12" inch Solix on the bow never moves.

IMG_20190328_192436.jpg
    Last edited by ntslam; 03-28-2019 at 08:29 PM.

fishfreq

Sorry, I mentioned that the picture you sent is the same as mine, its not. Mine is adjustable 360 rotation. I don’t see the rotation cogs on the picture you sent so that must be a different model with no adjustment for rotation, only tilt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast