Replacing old rod handle?

Hi guys,

I have a rod I had made for me 4 years or so ago and love the rod but not the handle I had put on it. It has winn grips on it and they've just worn down over time and look really bad. Is there anyway to take off the current butt section and handle and put cork handles on it? I'm just not a real big fan of winn grips so I don't really want to use the Winn wrap. Over the past couple years I've realized that I like cork better than EVA. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
    2002 Triton TR 185/ 2002 Mercury XR6
    Lowrance HDS 12/HDS 7- Console
    Lowrance HDS 9/Carbon 9-LiveSight Str8-Up dual mount- Bow

2. Goby King
    It can be done from the back, it's not ideal, but doable. Strip off the old Winn grip. Build up the taper of the blank with mesh drywall mesh and epoxy so it's straight/level instead of tapered from the seat to the butt. Now you can install a new grip from the rear and it'll fit tightly.

3. Member
    When I've replaced grips from the butt end I've always found it easiest to do it with cork rings instead of a pre-made cork handle. Ream each ring so you have to force it over the butt end. No need for tape, just make sure there's plenty of epoxy for each ring. Glue them up, let cure and then shape with a file to the rough shape you want and then use sandpaper. I go 60 grit, 150 grit and then finish with 200 or 220. You can do the same for the butt end.

Graphite tube is also another easy way to add a new handle to the rear. Very simple with just a little work. I know you said you like cork but it opens new door for balance and comfort with the graphite tube.

5. Member
    "Shave" the old grips down to the point the taper in the handle area is one diameter from the back of the reel seat to the butt. Then build/buy a new handle, ream to fit, and glue into place. If it is a split grip (kind of sounds that way since it's a Winn grip) you may have to fill in between the old grip and the butt.

6. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADVAN View Post
    "Shave" the old grips down to the point the taper in the handle area is one diameter from the back of the reel seat to the butt. Then build/buy a new handle, ream to fit, and glue into place. If it is a split grip (kind of sounds that way since it's a Winn grip) you may have to fill in between the old grip and the butt.
    I thought of that too and have done it that way with original cork grips. I wouldn't want the Winn EVA core under my cork. It's not as hard as good high density EVA.