Verado Trim Limits

Hey yall.

Having a couple issues with my 05 250 verado trimming correctly. The first issue it had was the smartcraft gauge and the trim gauge on my dash would bounce up and down while the motor stayed trimmed in the same spot. This caused my boat to limit the motor to only 2k RPMs. Had a shop diagnose this as a bad trim sensor. Replaced the sensor and now I dont have the trim bouncing up and down or rev limit, but now my boat wont trim up near as far as it should and almost seems like it doesnt trim down as far as it should either. Lost about 20 MPH.

Any suggestions on whats going on here? Do my trim limits just need to be reset? Does the computer not do that automatically?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Trim and Trailer limits need to be reset in the PCM utilizing the Computer Diagnostic System.

Then SMARTCRAFT INSTRUMENT needs to be calibrated to match the engine (this step is covered in the Smartcraft Instrument Manual).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Trim and Trailer limits need to be reset in the PCM utilizing the Computer Diagnostic System.

Then SMARTCRAFT INSTRUMENT needs to be calibrated to match the engine (this step is covered in the Smartcraft Instrument Manual).
    So basically it sounds like my boat shop should have done this when they installed the new sensor?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, it should be done when installing a new sensor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes, it should be done when installing a new sensor.
    Thanks for your help! Now the challenge will be to see how much extra money ill be out

Does the computer still have limits to where these trim limits can be set? When i had this shop put on a new prop last year, he raised my trim limit but he said it "reset to factory". This was before my trim sensor issue.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before going too crazy, make sure that it's not been properly set. Trim limit should be about 20-22 degrees from the FULL DOWN position. Full down= as far down as it goes, stall it against the stop for 4 seconds.

Most smartphones have an app available to figure degrees of inclination.

7. Member
    Where would i set my phone on the motor to get this reading?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Anti-ventilation plate.

Example: With trim all the way down, your phone reads -11 degrees. At full trim limit it should read 9 degrees (20 degree range).