Thread: Hard Case Paint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hard Case Paint

Hard Case Paint. What is it, or what does that mean? Is it the Vexus equivalent to Chrysler’s Corinthian Leather?

2. Member
    And how does the paint hold up with a cover? I’m ready to pull the trigger when this gets answered and I get to see one.

3. Member
    Here is something on the paint. 4:06 mark in the video.

It’s probably just Emron....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fosterfence View Post
    And how does the paint hold up with a cover? I’m ready to pull the trigger when this gets answered and I get to see one.
    I assume you are asking about how the paint holds up under cover while trailering? I trailer mine quite a bit with the cover, however I have only owned it for a couple months. But all in all about 15 or so hours of towing and it always has the cover on it when stored. Thus far, zero issues on paint damage from the cover. I am super picky on aesthetics so I am always looking. On the flip side I did have some black(cover color / White Boat) rub marks the very 1st time I put it on and trailered for about 5 hours, I hit rain coming home. But these came off when I wiped it down.

I don't think any paint will hold up to rocks hitting it. I may be wrong but rolling down the highway at 70mph and I rock flies up and hits the fender, it is going to chip. That I do know.
    Last edited by Jonesslk; 03-25-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

6. Member
    I wonder if anyone at Vexus will chime in on this very curious as to what this is.

I think of the paint on a fiberglass car fender but they don't usually bump stumps with a corvette. lol

7. Member
    I’m also interested if minor scratches in the hard case finish can be wet sanded and buffed out. How many coats of clear are applied? I need to be comfortable in the durability of the finish before I decide on a vx. The video does help.

8. Member
    They say automotive a lot. I know if you take any car or truck to a deer lease limbs will scratch it up. It will be interesting to see how this stuff holds up

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    They say automotive a lot. I know if you take any car or truck to a deer lease limbs will scratch it up. It will be interesting to see how this stuff holds up

good point

10. Member
    This product would be worth applying to a painted finish.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I have had several 4x4's I would go wheeling in and they had quite a few "pinstripes" from bushes buy the time I sold them.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    I have had several 4x4's I would go wheeling in and they had quite a few "pinstripes" from bushes buy the time I sold them.
    I had one truck that had so many of them it looked like it had been wet sanded.

Anyone know the paint being used..?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

14. Member
    They definitely are not very responsive to answering questions on here.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

15. Member
    It could be proprietary information they don’t want every competitor to know. If not, I’m sure they will answer in the most complete way that makes sense for their business. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are getting a little shy about sharing very specific answers here. As soon as they do give specifics the “boo birds” here come up with stories or reasons why that is the dumbest thing ever.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    No. They're not. I asked about the livewells as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    Are you guys expecting some kind of a miracle paint or coating this isn't going to be affected by anything? ALL things painted are going to get chipped and scratched, and are cheaper to have repaired than fiberglass. The most expensive option is replace the fenders with stainless ones. The easiest thing you could do is get some 3M protective film and place it on all of the forward pieces on the trailer like the cross members, side rails, and fenders. The best thing you could do if you are so concerned about this is have the fenders sprayed with the bedliner material. All of the trailers are black from what I have seen so it would be an easy thing to do.

I did this on the new fenders I put on my tin boats trailer...and the fenders are now virtually bulletproof.

One Vexus rep that I am aware of is in this group. Who just so happens to be actively involved in the fiberglass launch. Many of the team just got home from the classic reveal. 16 days straight days doing shows etc after the classic. I would say coming off a run like that I would want to spend time with my family and not answer more boat questions for a few days. Just me though.

19. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    it is a proprietary process using automotive style paint covered with clear. The formulations have been developed especially to add durability for this application

Can it be scratched ? - sure it can, but not easily. but then fix is much simpler to repair than that of Gelcoat.

i have heard several people talk about the "Glitter" factor, since this is an automotive style paint we cannot use the big poly flake traditionally used in gelcoat but we can use standard metal flake.
    See the attached picture of the VX21 we had at the Classic- you should be able to see the "Glitter" in the gunwales.

The bottom of the hull is still gelcoat with out a paint applied. as is the some of the interior .

orig_1c38f1f9e9c518d5c3372a26d9632464398b124c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    Are you guys expecting some kind of a miracle paint or coating this isn't going to be affected by anything? ALL things painted are going to get chipped and scratched, and are cheaper to have repaired than fiberglass. The most expensive option is replace the fenders with stainless ones. The easiest thing you could do is get some 3M protective film and place it on all of the forward pieces on the trailer like the cross members, side rails, and fenders. The best thing you could do if you are so concerned about this is have the fenders sprayed with the bedliner material. All of the trailers are black from what I have seen so it would be an easy thing to do.

I did this on the new fenders I put on my tin boats trailer...and the fenders are now virtually bulletproof.
    White boat, white trailer is by far the #1 selling AVX so far.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast