Bilge filling, drain plug is in

New to me 1997 Skeeter SL140 - bilge fills with water constantly. I'm able to stop this by using an atwood plug at the stern drain point location for the front live well. Tested live well pumps front and rear and they work as they should. Also tested drains on both while trailered and dry - no water goes into bilge (verified by checking drain plug).

With the front live well drain plug removed from the stern (not where it goes, I know) and the boat in the water, bilge fills quickly and there's a constant water stream exiting at the pump vent on the stern starboard side.

Any idea where the leak could be? Tried looking for pipe/wire schematics but had no luck so far. My thought is a cracked hose along the drain path that doesn't get reached by exiting when draining, but does when the lake pressure is pushing in, or a bad check valve somewhere alibg that path, but not sure where to start with confirming that idea.

The good news is I can operate with the front live well shut off and plugged at the stern without worrying about swamping. Bad news is I don't like leaving things unresolved.

2. Member
    Sounds like the live well pump or line is leaking.

3. Member
    I've had the pump bodies crack on models that old, I'd check them and the hoses as recommended. Replaced a broken livewell pump this weekend and the fill pump is leaking just a little.

It’s always one of the bait well pumps or fittings.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Member
    It was the top of my live well valve that started leaking.

6. Member
    Bought a small camera endoscope with 17 foot range and found a separation in the drain tube near the aft exit, under the fuel tank. I'll tear it apart later this year and repair, as well as add auto capability to the bilge pump.

7. Member
    Very common problem and good catch. Its always fun standing on your head replacing pumps