Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having trouble loading boat. Can't find the bow roller!!! What's the trick?

I'm have trouble nailing the bow roller when loading the boat. Is there some kind of guide that can be installed? I keep missing it. Once I get close, the bow blocks my view and I miss to the starboard!?.

Suggestions please.....

Thanks EJ

2. Member
    Maybe don't put trailer as deep, so it's easier to center the boat on trailer prior to pulling all the way forward. Leave boat in gear, walk to front and check centering on trailer, then adjust your steering to compensate. If this helps, hopefully you'll get to where you can find that "sweet spot" for loading. Good luck!
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

3. Member
    I try to run the boat up on the bunks and let the boat "settle" onto the bunks then power forward only after boat has settled in the center of trailer. As stated before, this works better when trailer is not too deep. On my dual axle trailer, the best depth is the water level between the two tires on the fenders.

4. Member
    Definitely sounds like the trailer is to deep. Next time you launch back in slowly and watch the back of the boat. As soon as you see it start to float look at your trailer fender. See how much is sticking out of the water. When you go to load put it at that level on the fender or just barely higher. Then you should hit the bunks and line it up so you can crank it up or power it up

5. Banned
    Trailer is too deep

6. Member
    I concur.

7. Member
    Yap, trailer is in to deep.

8. Member
    A really good rule of thumb is to back trailer into water until the two short boards only have about an inch or so sticking out of the water.. This has been a good starting point on every trailer I have ever backed in , all brands, and I have backed a lot of different brand trailers on different brand boats, bassboats that is, , can't say on ski or saltwater boats.

9. Member
    Agree with above and also as said, once you get the bow of the boat just past the trailer wheels, put the boat in neutral and let the running boards do there job and get the boat centered. Then continue on up.

10. Member
    As others have said, you are too deep.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Until you know where the roller is, when you have the boat on the trailer get some blue tape...etc, and put a mark on something up front that aligns with the roller that you can see when you are sitting in the drivers seat. Some boats, like a couple of Cats I've owned, have an offset nose up front that take some getting used too.

A bass boat should load fairly easy.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob20 View Post
    Maybe don't put trailer as deep, so it's easier to center the boat on trailer prior to pulling all the way forward. Leave boat in gear, walk to front and check centering on trailer, then adjust your steering to compensate. If this helps, hopefully you'll get to where you can find that "sweet spot" for loading. Good luck!
    ^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^

13. Member
    Every ramp angle is different. You just have to figure out how deep to put the trailer in so you can drive the boat up
    with out having to force it up to the roller.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    your too deep. let it center on bunks before powering up if its not doing that your in too deep.

15. Member
    here you go,go to the ramp and loosen your winch strap about a foot then lock it back down,next back the boat down to see where it starts to float off and look at your fender and see where the water level is then you got that done,next if you have the huge bow rollers on the sides (of the front bow roller) put smaller ones on (the big side rollers will stop it from going straight)

This may sound obvious but its what I have learned to do to avoid your problem. Once you run the boat onto the trailer ease up slowly to allow the side bunks to straighten the boat out. Then when the boat has settled straight on the trailer, look at the outboard and steering wheel to ensure both are dead center. Next, you should be able to power load and not miss the bow roller (if the trailer is not backed in too far.)

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbitef11 View Post
    This may sound obvious but its what I have learned to do to avoid your problem. Once you run the boat onto the trailer ease up slowly to allow the side bunks to straighten the boat out. Then when the boat has settled straight on the trailer, look at the outboard and steering wheel to ensure both are dead center. Next, you should be able to power load and not miss the bow roller (if the trailer is not backed in too far.)
    This outboard straight !!!
    2018 Z520C Ranger Cup / Mercury 250 Pro XS Ser# 2B526947

18. Member
    Drop the short boards 3-4'' exposed.....let the boat center upon entry.....trim up slightly if necessary and then power forward a few inches.

19. Member
    Leave your winch strap attached to your boat and slowly back down the ramp. When the boat just barely floats, you're just barely too deep. At this point make a note of where the water is on the trailer, you'll probably need the trailer to be slightly less deep to load. IMHO most loading problems occur when the trailer is too deep. Another help is to slide more towards the center of your boat as you approach the trailer, allows you to line up with the bow roller easier.

20. Banned
    You’ve got your trailer backed in too far. Simple as that. If the trailer is in the correct depth you don’t have to steer it to the bow roller. The bunks will guide you straight to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast