150 XR6 Alarm concern

Folks,

I have searched up and down and can not find the answer to what I'm looking for, so hopefully you guys can help me out! Ok, what I have a:

2000 Nitro 882
    Mercury XR6 150
    SR#: 0T067432.

Engine runs, and everything seems to be normal except the alarm. From my understanding, when you turn the key the alarm should give you a "BEEP" letting you know the alarm and system is "OK". I have no beep at start up. I've checked the little buzzer module under the dash and can jump it and it works. I can also go to the engine and ground the wire to the temperature sensor, and once grounded the alarm beeps. That is the only thing I have found from the engine that will make it beep. My concern is the lack of beep at start up, and that I can not get the alarm to beep, by grounding the wires that monitor the oil injection system. (System is still on board and appears to be functional, engine runs fine, and burns oil from the oil tank as it goes). My concern is if something goes wrong with this system while under-weigh, it won't sound a warning alarm saying the engine tank ran dry, or the oil pump stopped working. (I have also tested the connection in the cap with the floater, and when the floater is dropped it closes the circuit between those wires).

I know removing the oil injection system and just pre-mixing the fuel and oil is an option, but I'd like to just explore possible solutions to the issue listed above.

Thank you in advanced for your help. I've had boats most my life, but this is my first outboard let alone my first fishing boat, and I've never been good at figuring out electrical issues. Thanks again.

Nick,

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the wiring and connections from the oil warning module. It must have a good ground (clean and tight), and the tan w/blue stripe wire coming from it must be intact/connected. Steps for diagnosing the Oil Warning Module are in the Engine SERVICE Manual (and should be followed carefully).

If you are not 110% confident in your abilities to diagnose this system, I would suggest enlisting the hands-on expertise of a well-trained technician.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Do you know where the Oil Warning Module is? I can't seem to locate it, and even in the parts diagrams for the oil injection system for my SN I don't see it. I've found it listed on other Merc 150 XR6 in a different SN range, but I have had no luck with this one. Below is the diagram I've found. If you look at the 0G760300 - 0G960499 SN range on that same site, it shows the alarm module, But I can't find it on the engine, or in any of the references I can find online. Thank you for your reply!

<LINK REMOVED- SEE ANNOUNCEMENTS>
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 03-26-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    2000 Nitro 882
    Mercury XR6 150
    SN: 0T067432

4. Member
    your warning system on this engine is modulated through the ignition controller it has no motion sensor at pump only level sens at tank and over heat warning/ for some reason MERC found it not a need for rotation sensor at pump eliminated the platic bushing with magnet and uses a brass bushing there instead / im kinda on the fence if this was a good revamp of old system
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    your warning system on this engine is modulated through the ignition controller it has no motion sensor at pump only level sens at tank and over heat warning/ for some reason MERC found it not a need for rotation sensor at pump eliminated the platic bushing with magnet and uses a brass bushing there instead / im kinda on the fence if this was a good revamp of old system
    Good catch... Thanks Joe! Should still have a test-beep at keyup, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram that might help me trouble shoot this? Sorry about the link that was deleted above, I looked back at the announcements, I didn't mean to post something from an un-sponsored party, I was just trying to post a reference to what I was talking about. But @EuropeanAM, the beep at start up doesn't happen. The only way I can get a beep is to jump the "Beeper" under the dash, and to ground the Tan wire that's on the temp sensor. The blue wires from the aux oil cap don't make it beep.
    2000 Nitro 882
    Mercury XR6 150

7. Member
    yes sir sure should may need to check see if horn is good and working ive seen a few lately fouled with mud dobbers
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can you better explain "jump" it at the dash? Understood what you were doing at the tan w/blue stripe wire inside the cowling, it's that first part that needs clarifying and wire-colors.

9. Member
    I just grounded the little red buzzer speaker under the dash to a near by ground wire just to test its functionality. The buzzer has a tan and tan w/ blue strip wires going into it. It's been rainy so the boat is back under a cover, but once it clears up I can take and post a photo to better describe. Also, when I got the buzz from the cowling, it was with the tan wire, not the tan w/ blue stripe.
    2000 Nitro 882
    Mercury XR6 150

10. Member
    UPDATE: So, I was wrong, the over heat wire is tan w/ blue stripe. It had some gunk on it, almost looked like my wife's cover-up makeup, but I rubbed that off and indeed saw the blue stripe. Found that it goes to the timing ECU module (along with the blue oil tank wire), everything else on there seems to be working, but some of the wires look a little rough, and some very slightly exposed wires through the insulation, so I'm thinking about replacing the whole thing just to be on the safe side. I did have a question about it though, hopefully the community can help me out once again.

I have found 3 replacement options A: Sku# 857185T1. B: Sku# 857192T2 and option C: Sku# CDI-144-7169

I typed in my SN at a few different web sites and I have been shown the OEM replacement is A on some and B on a couple others. Both A & B have my SN range in their description of what engines they go to. 2/3 of the places I looked at show option C as an after market alternative, but the description of C in all the web sites lists the Sku's it replaces, and neither A or B is listed.

I hope my description isn't too confusing. I'd post links to the parts in question, but when I tried to do that the links got removed from admin. On a side note, if someone could help me find a link of sponsored websites that can be linked for descriptive purposes, I'd greatly appreciate that. Thanks again for everyone's help.
    2000 Nitro 882
    Mercury XR6 150

11. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22574

This is the site link for the Merc board(s) moderator's shop. It is found in the sticky posts atop the 3 Liter forum below this one. Good folks. Give them a shout.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    857185T1 is the only CORRECT Ignition Control Module for this XR6 engine model. That's what you want- don't try other part numbers or aftermarket stuff.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    857185T1 is the only CORRECT Ignition Control Module for this XR6 engine model. That's what you want- don't try other part numbers or aftermarket stuff.
    Awesome! Thank you so much for your help.
    2000 Nitro 882
    Mercury XR6 150