Water Pump service, 2017 150 Pro XS Opti Max?

I been changing Mercury water pumps for 25 years. This is my first yearly service on a new to me 150 Pro XS. When I start to drop the lower unit, there is a small diameter black hose or wire next to the shift shaft? What the heck is the black hose or wire? What is the next step to get it disconnected? How do you reconnect on the re-install? Thank you for the help, Allen

2. Member
    Here is a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    Looks like the water pressure tube on the older units to me.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Looks like the water pressure tube on the older units to me.
    Hello Ben, I will check but every other motor I’ve owned pulls the water pressure off the top of one of the heads. I’m going through manuals on-line and have not found that line. Still a mystery. I’m sure one of our fellow boaters will chime in and have the answer.
    Allen

5. Member
    He means it's the hose for the speedometer water pressure. I have a different motor but it seems mine had enough slack in it to drop the lower unit enough to disconnect the hose from its fitting.

6. Member
    black line is for speedo/ push on outer edge of fitting and pull hose at same time
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    black line is for speedo/ push on outer edge of fitting and pull hose at same time
    ^^^^

Have fun putting it back together, that line is always my Achille's Heel when stuffing the lower. One of these day's I'll complete my 2.5L water pump service "How To" to be added to the 2.5L forum FAQ.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    put a speedo or w/psi coupler in line above gearcase
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Every Mercury lower I've seen has the same hose, I've never reconnected one.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Every Mercury lower I've seen has the same hose, I've never reconnected one.
    Thank you everyone for the posts and advice. I’m going to disconnect it and not reconnect it. I have carbon 9’s use GPS anyhow.

Allen

11. Member
    plug it or hole in front of gearcase /prevent water spraying upwards

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    plug it or hole in front of gearcase /prevent water spraying upwards
    Thank you Joe for the suggestion.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kacordy View Post
    I been changing Mercury water pumps for 25 years. This is my first yearly service on a new to me 150 Pro XS. When I start to drop the lower unit, there is a small diameter black hose or wire next to the shift shaft? What the heck is the black hose or wire? What is the next step to get it disconnected? How do you reconnect on the re-install? Thank you for the help, Allen
    Allen- if you choose to plug it, keep in mind that the opening at the leading edge can let water become trapped in the passage. If this occurs there is a (small, but still a) chance of the passage freezing and bursting. Have seen a hand-full of cases where this perforated into the gear lube passages.

For future reference, the next forum down the list is the 2.0/2.4/2.5 Engine Forum (best place for your engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor