Reaction baits in Florida!!!

I'm a North Central Florida guy... Been bass fishing just at 4yrs now. Really wanting to take my tournament fishing to the next level. But having incredibly hard times with the toughest veriable in bass fishing... Locating the fish!!! Was wondering in Florida are reaction baits good tools for locating fish.. I fish a ton of moving baits such as cranks, spinner baits and the such but no luck. Have most of my luck dragging worms... And I know some will say use what I'm confident in but I want to be as efficient as possible in practice and cover as much water as I can...do bass in Florida eat Chatterbaits, cranks, and spinner baits swim jigs and any other types of moving baits... Any pointers be great!!

Bryan

2. Member
    They ate a lot of chartreuse/gold bladed spinnerbaits and Rattletraps, back when I lived there, in the pre-chatterbait days.

3. Member
    Look at the FLW results ---lots caught on reaction baits
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

4. Banned
    I seem to be able to get both Bass and sometimes MudSkippers (Bowfin) to react to My swimjig and 5" swimbait w/a Frog and Sammy ready-to-go for any topwater action..

You mentioned "dragging a worm" make that same Worm a Speedworm ..

I gave up crankbaits a few years ago after having to pick snags of the treble after every cast or every other cast, the only treble hook I use now is on the Sammy.

5. Member
    Thanks fellows... I'll just keep working... Been tough Hill to claim... Hard to network with guys been doing it for a while.... I can understand why tho

6. Member
    When I get back in April I'll be more than happy to meet you at the lake one day once I settle. Maybe Loc or Orange or you can come my way. Having fished all over the world, I can tell you Florida bass are more about location and timing than anything. Once they are on they will eat anything depending on a few variables. I am not one of the "cannot network" guys. When I came to Florida in the 90s, I learned it all on my own. A lot of time on the water (hours/years). There some variables on the river like current, location, etc., that take time learning but the majority of Florida Lakes are the same. Too much stock is placed on "what am I doing wrong" based off of TV shows from around the world. Florida is just different. Don't let the TV ads and crap they are showing determine what you are doing. For example: Scott Martin just made a video on his Youtube showing baits he uses shallow (I am sure he does), however, watch the other video and one of the big gals he catches is on a Zoom Fluke (in Toho TX)-- no mention of it in his video. Again, more than happy to show you my setups and stuff when I return. In the short term... it is painful to fish but a weightless watermelon red trick worm around veggies is hard to beat. And I mean weightless. 3/0 thin wire hook on 12 pound flouro. If you want braid just go to a stronger hook. Overall here is the biggest tip I can give you from 25 years of learning FL bass fishing -- until you get a pattern on a favorite lake fish new water every time you go fishing unless in a TX. Fight the urge to go to where you caught them the day before. Be willing to blank learning the new water, bottom, veggies, etc.... Too many people go to the same spots over and over again expecting different results. The more new water you hit over time the more a pattern of the lake will emerge. Look at any of the Florida bed fishermen... they have learned when and where a location should be active since they know the water. Hooking a fish is easy but be willing to blank to learn is hard. Ok, off my high horse.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    When I get back in April I'll be more than happy to meet you at the lake one day once I settle. Maybe Loc or Orange or you can come my way. Having fished all over the world, I can tell you Florida bass are more about location and timing than anything. Once they are on they will eat anything depending on a few variables. I am not one of the "cannot network" guys. When I came to Florida in the 90s, I learned it all on my own. A lot of time on the water (hours/years). There some variables on the river like current, location, etc., that take time learning but the majority of Florida Lakes are the same. Too much stock is placed on "what am I doing wrong" based off of TV shows from around the world. Florida is just different. Don't let the TV ads and crap they are showing determine what you are doing. For example: Scott Martin just made a video on his Youtube showing baits he uses shallow (I am sure he does), however, watch the other video and one of the big gals he catches is on a Zoom Fluke (in Toho TX)-- no mention of it in his video. Again, more than happy to show you my setups and stuff when I return. In the short term... it is painful to fish but a weightless watermelon red trick worm around veggies is hard to beat. And I mean weightless. 3/0 thin wire hook on 12 pound flouro. If you want braid just go to a stronger hook. Overall here is the biggest tip I can give you from 25 years of learning FL bass fishing -- until you get a pattern on a favorite lake fish new water every time you go fishing unless in a TX. Fight the urge to go to where you caught them the day before. Be willing to blank learning the new water, bottom, veggies, etc.... Too many people go to the same spots over and over again expecting different results. The more new water you hit over time the more a pattern of the lake will emerge. Look at any of the Florida bed fishermen... they have learned when and where a location should be active since they know the water. Hooking a fish is easy but be willing to blank to learn is hard. Ok, off my high horse.
    Wow!! Great info and thanks for the time you put in your response... And I'll be here... In fact loch and orange are my home lakes... I live in gainesville

Bryan

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s really great information. I am trying to fish new water every week this year and so far it has definitely expanded my knowledge. Even if it’s the same lake or chain I’m looking for new water. Breaking it down, learning the immediate area, and trying to figure out If and Why the fish are there....or not.

Florida bass are simply different. I rarely have ok days...it’s feast or famine with me a lot, but I believe that’s because I am trying new water constantly. There’s so much area around here I can never fish the same area twice if I fish 10 lifetimes.

I can admit that I definitely found 3-5 good spots during November and plain wore them out! Yes, I caught a lot of fish but had no plan B. So that’s why I’m trying to become a better reader of the water now. You have to be able to go to a new lake and find fish. I’ve found it to be quite fun even if I go home empty handed at times.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

IMO, you need at least a light breeze to make horizontal baits (spinnerbaits or lipless cranks) work well for you. It's all about reduced light penetration, which yields increased fish activity and aggressiveness. This will apply to all bass.

When you have a rain squall coming in, get out the fast moving baits. When the rain actually starts, I have seen little activity on slow baits, but this is with Northern Strain bass. Y'all have those Flo-rida basses, and I don't know if it would apply to them.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

10. Member
    Yea my knowledge is so limited that when I get on newer water, I'm completely at a lost and always end up going back to where I caught em before. I do realize this as being a hindrance but when you don't have a clue to knowing if you're on the right track or not it's hard to keep your head down and just fish.. My biggest battle on water is wondering is the fish in the area but I'm throwing the wrong baits or am I throwing right bait and just no fish. It's weird for me when I fish so much habitat rich looking waters and not get bites... Just seems absurd that such good looking habit is void of bass

Bryan

11. Member
    And you guys speak of reading the waters... What are we trying to pick up on these readings

Bryan

12. Banned
    Have You ever heard of "Mikey Ballz"? He films around these here parts. Here is His latest 'Deep Water' and I've also linked up His YouTube™ vids. Notice the places that He is Fishing and how He casts into each place. Watch a few videos and then try and match conditions e.g. into the wind vs. with the wind, etc. et al.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mikeybalzzfishing