2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS Trim Cylinder Rod Bushings

2014 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    2B018487

At the top of the trim cylinder rod, their is a short rod that goes through the trim cylinder rod that connects to the motor. Their is a bushing on both ends of the short rod that goes in the motor bracket where the trim cylinder connects. I can't find these bushings on any diagram. Please help. Thanks

2. Member
    I finally found it. Part # 23-821207

3. Member
    Optimally, if you want to replace one or both, also buy the tri-lobe pin that locks the cross-pin in position. Lot easier to install the bushing(s) when the cross-pin is removed as the bushing material is pretty soft and easy to deform, and the cross-pin is not easy to get aligned in the center unless it is removed. Pretty quick and easy job...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Thanks OldTimer

5. Member
    One other comment. Take it easy removing the old tri-lobe. If you break the head off, that easy job just became a lot harder. I used a pair of diagonal cutters to gently grip the head, then a flat blade screwdriver between the dikes and the trim rod end. This helps you avoid cutting the head off as you pry. :) If it breaks off you can drive the cross-pin out, which is not a choice I like. - shearing the tri-lobe pin in the process) You can remove the power trim unit completely which will expose the hole on the back side of the trim rod where a drift pin tool can then be used to knock the broken tri-lobe out. Might be a way to get to that without removal, but even with the lower cowl removed it is awkward. Best advice, don't get in a hurry and break it.

Some are sloppy re-installing and bang the head sideways so that it will fall off the next time it is touched. I was worried about mine sine the head was sitting at an obvious angle. (The tilt piston has two directions it can be installed in, one is wrong. You want the position were the tri-lobe pin is angled downward toward the lower unit so you can drive it in without bending the thing.)
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Or, simply drive the crosspin out from the STB side (trim sender removed) which will sheer the pin off. Never re-use the tri-lobe pin.

If your STB side bushing is missing, it is possible to install a new one, using RED liquid loctite, without removing the crosspin. Takes a little extra care and patience, but can be done start to finish in minutes.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor