Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Not necessarily. A lean 4 stroke cylinder can easily burn valves and burn a hole in the piston.
    Sure does...never down it with a boat but i killed a perfectly good 383 that way lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Not necessarily. I just ordered a new boat and the Mercury 4s was $3,880 cheaper than the G2. I personally would rather have the G2, but I plan on giving this boat to my dad in a couple years and he wants another 4s. Another Pro for 4s, resale value. Everyone wants one but me. Lol.
    I was talking about Mercury 4 stroke vs Mercury 2 stroke. They are quite a bit more.

Only time will tell on the new Mercury 4 stroke V8. I've had mine about a year now and all I can say is I'll never go back to a two stroke. Fuel consumption is about the same but there's no comparison in a 4-stroke to a 2 stroke way more torque way more mid-range power and don't have to worry about carrying extra oil with you. Service / maintenance on a 2 stroke vs a 4 water pump an impeller gear change are the same no matter what engine but the rest of the moving parts are way more time sensitive to service. I love my 4-stroke it's a beast of a motor and two strokes have served well for many years but , Four strokes are here to stay the overall cost of the motor is more but the overall maintenance is less so in the end it is even ar far as cost . But when it comes to longevity and performance the four stroke out performs the two hands down.

4. Member
    Funny how folks that have had four strokes for years now sang their praises yet those that owned 2 strokes claimed that the oil burners had more low end torque. Now when folks actually try them they are hooked because of the bottom end power. There is a reason that 2 stroke motors need prop vent holes and four strokes do not.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motomania View Post
    -
    A bit off topic; but is a gallon of 2 stroke oil in 10 hours common on the Opti’s?
    -
    (That just sounds like a heckuva lotta oil consumption.)
    Hell I wish my HPDI got 10 hours out of a gallon of oil. If I’m stopping at the gas station for gas, I better be putting oil in it too. Crazy how much oil that thing uses.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    I was talking about Mercury 4 stroke vs Mercury 2 stroke. They are quite a bit more.
    Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by motomania View Post
    -
    A bit off topic; but is a gallon of 2 stroke oil in 10 hours common on the Opti’s?
    -
    (That just sounds like a heckuva lotta oil consumption.)
    If you're running the engine at 5 gal/hr, which for my 225 ProXS, is around 3300rpm, some basic math puts a 50:1 burn ratio at 1 gallon of oil every ten hours.

There are ways to burn more if you want to, though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    If you're running the engine at 5 gal/hr, which for my 225 ProXS, is around 3300rpm, some basic math puts a 50:1 burn ratio at 1 gallon of oil every ten hours.

I am not an expert when it comes to Optimax engines but I am pretty sure that it does not mix 50:1 st that rpm under most loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I am not an expert when it comes to Optimax engines but I am pretty sure that it does not mix 50:1 st that rpm under most loads.
    Mine burns at a 50:1 ratio on the head, no matter how I run it, and I spent a lot of the time on the motor running right in that neighborhood.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post

-
    Good point about the math part.....lol.
    -
    The oil consumption just sounds like my 86 150 2-stroke. Great engine, so I didn’t really mind the oil use.
    -
    My newer injected 225HO 2-stroke Just really seems to sip the oil. Can’t say I’ve crunched numbers; but I peek in the oil reservoir every trip and that darn thing never seems to budge.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    As for 4 stroke oil changes...

Open cold beer
    Remove drain plug and filter
    Walk away
    Drink cold beer
    Return after cold beer
    Put on new filter and drain plug
    Open cold beer number 2
    Open fresh oil
    Fill to proper level
    Walk away

Done lol
    I like where you replaced these line items:
    -rig contraption to capture used oil
    -clean up spilled used oil when contraption fails
    -deal with used oil (spilled and otherwise)
    with drinking beer

I repowered from an HPDI to a SHO a month ago. Everytime I go in Academy, Walmart or Autozone I still go look at the oil like a junky. If fish a lot and probably dumped in a gallon every 2 weeks. I have been noticing that you dont see a lot of 10 year old direct injection motors on the water anymore. I see very few Series1 HPDI and first Pro XS.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

13. Member
    Oil changes simple to do yourself for $75 or less

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    But they are more in resale too! Just ask anyone trying to sell a 2018 boat with a 2 stroke. It’s old technology.

15. Banned
    4 strokes may be the future, but they ain't no fun when you pop one. At least cost wise compared to a 2 stroke.

That being said my next boat will have a 4S on it. I don't plan on keeping it more than 5 years anyways.

16. Member
    I figure one of the biggest expenses on these new motors is the warranties. You have to offer a great warranty or folks will buy elsewhere. If you want to see how much we pay for warranties sell yours the day it runs out.

I know plenty of folks who do the minimum maintence and trade them off before the warranty runs out. If the motor pops before that they expect the manufacturer to provide them a new motor tho they have only done maybe half the routine maintence called for. I haven’t had my 4S long enough to need a valve adjustment. I know it’ll cost me when it’s time. Then again the high pressure DFI systems need complex routine maintence as they age as well.

17. Banned
    All these antidote answers... No one has answered the OP question.... Thread: is a 4 stroke really cheaper in the long run??

... Dan

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    All these antidote answers... No one has answered the OP question.... Thread: is a 4 stroke really cheaper in the long run??

... Dan
    I don't think there is a clear cut answer. IMO If you like to run WOT everywhere you should stick with a 2S. Reality is most every computer readout I've ever looked at is the design of a bass boat is they are not good in rough water, so you can't run much WOT. Couple that with all the time people side scan these days and all the sudden the 4S starts to shine. I recently looked at a readout on a DFI engine that had 135 hours at less than 1000 RPMS with 10 hours at WOT. It had another 70 hours between 3 and 5,000 RPM's. Most of the readouts I've seen look like a bell curve. If you side scan a bunch this gets even more out of whack with the curve being WAY down low. This loads up rings with the crappy gas we have now days on a 2S. You and I know that's a death nail on a 2S block. Add a clogged compressor (Opti) and or a bad injector and you have these expensive DFI's lasting less than 1000 hours on bass boats. I bet my 4S runs at least double that with routine maintenance.

I bet like me, you remember warming up your 2S and then shooting some decarb through the carbs and letting it work while you fished. Then when you moved to your next spot you cleared all the skeeters from that cove with the smoke as the motor sputtered and left a nice black ring on the water LOL. Those days are long gone! So are the 12 month warranties those old motors came with.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post

... Dan
    Hard to say. I’d say yes, sheerly on the fact that I would expect my 4 stroke to last longer and have less maintenance over the years.

From a fuel/oil savings I’d call a wash or slight edge to the 4 stroke.

I’d say that about sums it up as simple as can be put.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    1--likely no times or once at most every few years
    2--same or edge to the 2 stroke
    3--equal 200hp is 200 hp
    4--sho has been around and has the "bugs" out of it, the merc is new and unknown if there are any "bugs' in it? wouldn't worry about either of them though
    With your point 3, I agree, but, there is a technicality here. A 250 motor is a "class," not a true rating. Some 250 "HP" motors are faster because they make more power. Evinrude, back in the day, was famous for doing this (much to Merc's chagrin) - some of the pre '91 or so 175 Evinrudes would make 200+ HP. As I understand it a Optimax 250 is 250 HP. A Pro XS is ~263 HP and a Merc 250 XS is ~275 HP. Hence the speed differences between the engines (things like the lower unit help, too).

Here is a plot that shows that not all 250 HP engines are the same.
    proxs torque crve.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast