Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    Efi
    Yeah the 4 stroke will be night and day difference in fuel economy over the EFI’s. Minimum difference in the direct injections (hpdi, optimax, or Pro XS)

If your talking about dropping coin on a new boat that takes a minimum of 200hp, the difference in cost of ownership is meaningless. If it’s not, then the reality is you can afford either.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    [QUOTE=berudd;10149837]If your talking about dropping coin on a new boat that takes a minimum of 200hp, the difference in cost of ownership is meaningless. If it’s not, then the reality is you can afford it. What u just said makes not a bit of sense to me. But thanks for your not so valuable imput!!

4. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I have a 150 FS on my Cat. It runs 68 mph and is very quiet. When I'm idling you can hardly hear it. I think FS engines are very well built. Mine is a Merc. NO issues with the engine after 3 years.

5. Banned
    One thing turns me to 4-strokes. If an injector goes lean:
    4-stroke = lose some power
    2-stroke = rebuild a powerhead.

6. Banned
    If I needed to repower tomorrow based on what I've read on here? I would seriously consider the G2 200hp to replace my 01 Yamaha Vmax Hpdi 150

Id go with the g2. The technology is incredible.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Id go with the g2. The technology is incredible.
    This and nothing quiter than a Rude. Sometimes you cannot tell it is running.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    One thing turns me to 4-strokes. If an injector goes lean:
    4-stroke = lose some power
    2-stroke = rebuild a powerhead.
    Not necessarily. A lean 4 stroke cylinder can easily burn valves and burn a hole in the piston.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Not necessarily. A lean 4 stroke cylinder can easily burn valves and burn a hole in the piston.
    After hours of running. You've got about 20 seconds in a DFI 2-stroke.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    It might take me 30 mins to do my Merc 4S oil change? Thats cleaning up and everything. I buy my kit at the dealer I bought the boat from so there is a record. It cost me 65.00 a year. I used to go through a gallon of expensive 2S oil about every ten hours on the Opti's. Plus they still called for annual stuff at the dealer. My Opti spark plugs were like 60.00, that's if I did them myself. The year I started thinking about selling the thing I had the steel reeds replaced with carbon fiber reeds, it was coming up due a good fuel system service. I was lucky and never had any compressor issues.

My 4S will be three years old this year. I guess I'll break down and let the dealer do a good service? It's due a water pump impeller, lower unit oil change, fuel filter, and oil change. I can do all that myself. But, I can't hook it up to a computer for a readout. It's good to et the dealer go over everything once and a while. Until then I keep changing fluids and throwing some lube in the zerk fittings and it keeps purring along.

They don't make a "cheap" outboard LOL.
    -
    A bit off topic; but is a gallon of 2 stroke oil in 10 hours common on the Opti’s?
    -
    (That just sounds like a heckuva lotta oil consumption.)

12. Member
    Evinrude ETEC.....nuff said.

13. Member
    The simple answer, it's pretty much a wash on cost if neither have problems. Out of warranty a 4 stroke power head will cost a LOT more.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomania View Post
    -
    A bit off topic; but is a gallon of 2 stroke oil in 10 hours common on the Opti’s?
    -
    (That just sounds like a heckuva lotta oil consumption.)
    I’ve had a total of three Opti’s and one HPDI. All of them liked oil. I was good with buying oil since it kept my motors running. I dont find the DFI uses any less oil or fuel running WOT from a basic carb 2S. If I’d have that as a choice....give me a standard carb 2S over the technology. You can’t buy them thanks to the EPA.

15. Member
    The initial purchase price of the Mercury 4 strokes is several thousand higher than the 2 strokes they replaced. You can buy a lot of oil for several thousand dollars. I'm not sure you could ever recover the price diffrerence.was

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    The initial purchase price of the Mercury 4 strokes is several thousand higher than the 2 strokes they replaced. You can buy a lot of oil for several thousand dollars. I'm not sure you could ever recover the price diffrerence.was
    Not necessarily. I just ordered a new boat and the Mercury 4s was $3,880 cheaper than the G2. I personally would rather have the G2, but I plan on giving this boat to my dad in a couple years and he wants another 4s. Another Pro for 4s, resale value. Everyone wants one but me. Lol.

17. Member
    The lakes in my area and to the north of me are usually less than 1,200 acres. I fish a bunch but I do not burn very much oil because it is short runs and I am mostly on the trolling motor. I do not use more than 2 gallons of DFI oil per season. Oil cost is not a huge concern for me.

With that said, if I was to buy a brand new motor tomorrow it would be a 4 stroke. Not because I hate my 2 stroke or it costs too much but simply because I believe that is the future of outboards.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I truly feel like my SHO is way better on fuel than any outboard I have owned. I absolutely love it. Its been flawless so far. Had some great motors from other brands in the past but I will be hard pressed not to buy another SHO when I get a new boat. Its almost a deal breaker if it does not have one now for me.
    this and the oil change if you do it yourself is much cheaper.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    As for 4 stroke oil changes...

Open cold beer
    Remove drain plug and filter
    Walk away
    Drink cold beer
    Return after cold beer
    Put on new filter and drain plug
    Open cold beer number 2
    Open fresh oil
    Fill to proper level
    Walk away

Done lol
    Oil this...oil that...

Let's get back to the part about the beer
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

20. Member
    I have a merc 4s that I re-powered from an old EFI. It is night and day different the 4s is quiet and clean. I spend about half as much on fuel and oil.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast