Big Thrust 12volt

Preface- ignorance on the topic admitted. Could MK or MG design a high power trolling motor to run on a 12v LI and give plenty of run time for a weekender like me. 12v and 80 or 24v 112 lb thrust would run all day I would think? Maybe 12v and 112 would get it done? If discussed prior, my bad.

If they did it would take 80-100 amp circuit breaker and 0 gauge wire maybe even 00 it is not economical
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    If they did it would take 80-100 amp circuit breaker and 0 gauge wire maybe even 00 it is not economical
    Plus the motor would be large diameter, the shaft would need to be bigger and the motor would cost more because of the extra copper. Running more power from a single battery setup would give you very short run time. A 12V 80 pound motor would have less than half the run time as a 24V motor if you use the same battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    All of the above is true. Bottom line a battery system and motor could be developed but it would be both more costly and heavier than a higher voltage system.

5. Banned
    I don’t know if you could 112 more than a few hours on 12v. If so they would have already done it. Nobody wants to carry 4 batteries around, we just have to with the technology we have.

Above replies have it nailed. There's simply no good reason to do it, and a lot of good reasons not to do it. It becomes more feasible, albeit only slightly moreso, if brushless motors start making their way into trolling motors as has been rumored for the upcoming launches. They're a little more efficient than brushed motors. Still wouldn't be worth it...

I personally think they'll be going the other direction if/when lithium power or some other new battery tech takes off. Just as an example, a 120 volt ice auger hit the market this past winter. Up to that point we'd seen some 12 volt options, then some 24v, then a couple in the 40 volt range, then this one came out and it absolutely blows the rest out of the water from what I've seen. 12 volts 20 amps or 120 volts 2 amps, same theoretical energy output, but the latter will way be more efficient.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Its amazing that back in the 90’s a 54lb omc would drag a boat around like a boss. Then everybody had to have 80lbs to even be able to fish. A few years later folks were making room for another battery and running a 109! I have the biggest 12v minn kota makes on my river boat-50 something lbs- and itll out pull the old omc 54 that came off of it and last twice as long on the battery. The biggest 24v they make will drag any bass boat around just fine so dont think you have to have a 36v to function

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Its amazing that back in the 90’s a 54lb omc would drag a boat around like a boss. Then everybody had to have 80lbs to even be able to fish. A few years later folks were making room for another battery and running a 109! I have the biggest 12v minn kota makes on my river boat-50 something lbs- and itll out pull the old omc 54 that came off of it and last twice as long on the battery. The biggest 24v they make will drag any bass boat around just fine so dont think you have to have a 36v to function
    Yes but I thought the trolling motor was to pull tubes and skiers?