Turning a Lithium Back On?

I was able to test my new lithiums today for the first time. Unfotunately, the start battery did not even get a half crank on my SHO before shutting down and I had to put my AGM in to get going. The 3 trolling batteries however performed flawlessly and in 6 hours only used 3% of their charge. My question is my battery did not turn back on until I hooked it to the charger when I got home. Is there a way to turn them back on on the water? Or should they turn back on themselves?

2. Member
    I keep referring to my relion battery because I know what it is supposed to do So on my battery the BMS has a cut off value and a return to service value if met will turn the battery free again. I am guessing you surpassed the maximum drain value while starting. IIRC that value was pretty low. Bob

Try jumping it to another battery that is charged, then turn on your charger. It will probably start charging, after about 30 minutes disconnect the jumpers and see if that gets it charging and complete the charge cycle. If this does not work, try again with a different charger
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    It immediately turned on when I put it on the charger when I got home. I just want to know how to turn it back on without the charger. I’m guessing I need to try to jump it. When I put it on the charger at home it turned on and went right back to the 83% charge it was at before it turned off.

5. Member
    Contact your manufacturer. Lithium’s are different in that they run at 100% then they instantly die. You might have a bad battery of bad circuit protection device inside the battery.

6. Banned
    I'm interested to see if the battery has a defective protection system or if the battery is too small for the demands of the SHO and all of the boats electric systems.
    The cranking and system battery is something that needs to be oversized.

7. Member
    I looked through the older threads. Those batteries have a max draw of 30 amps. That is not enough to start the outboard. You will need a suitable battery for starting. Bob

8. Member
    rufus I was going through that old thread carefully an saw you had ordered the 100 AH batteries. That 30 amp max was for a smaller battery someone else ordered. The problem is probably the same though. Depending on your outboard the 100 amp max current may be too low to crank your motor. Still not sure why it didn't reset after the draw was turned off. Hope it keeps working for you.
    I think you will need to contact your supplier or find the cutoff amperage in you paperwork. The ratings on the batteries may not be the problem as the BMS can have the cuttoff set different than the ratings.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 03-24-2019 at 07:14 AM.

9. Member
    Do you have a lithium battery with a starting profile?
    From my reading I believe Lithium Pro is the only one who has a designated starting battery which also allows for higher than 14.7 volts to tolerate the SHO.

It's all in the BMS programming.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Do you have a lithium battery with a starting profile?
    From my reading I believe Lithium Pro is the only one who has a designated starting battery which also allows for higher than 14.7 volts to tolerate the SHO.

It's all in the BMS programming.
    Yes, Lithium Pro has a battery designed as a starting battery. M3426P. Small, race-style battery that spins my G2 300 with ease.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

11. Member
    What battery is this?

Relion has a 100 amp hour lithium battery designed for starting. It’s called RB100-HP. It’s designed to allow higher amp draw for starting the motor. A regular 100 amp rated lithium battery you would use to run a trolling motor won’t work.
    Gotta check the specs before you buy.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

13. Member
    I contacted my supplier and they are taking care of it. It will be a couple weeks but I can report on the solution when I receive it.

14. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I'm not sure what you are referring to as the "battery turned off and had to turn it back on"? I have Lithium Pro's and there's no switch on them. I was told though that if a Lithium battery is drained in order for it to begin to take a charge it needs to have whatever it is wired to be "turned off" while on the water for the charge to go to the battery. Example is if it's the trolling motor battery the TM must be actually "turned off" or in the case of an Ultrex for example, just flipping the on/off switch on the peddle will not turn it off. It needs to be unplugged as in disconnected from the battery completely or on a manual on/off switch
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

15. Member
    Referring to the BMS(battery management system) It has values programmed in to prevent battery damage from things like"charging voltage too high or too many amps being drawn, The BMS will stop that source from breaking or shortening useful usefull life of the battery. It should resume as soon as a lower value is detected. Bob

16. Member
    Oh, ok, so it's an internal thing.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. Member
    They are attached to the battery. Usually integrated on top but it looks like one piece.

18. Member
    Is it something that can be seen?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

19. Member
    No it is inside the shell of the battery case