HELP! Getting Fortrex Back Together

So I decided to check for line behind my prop on my 36 V Frtrex. It was clean, but then I decided to loosen to the long hex bolts and see what was behind there. Now I can’t get the thing back together.

The ‘nose’ cone came loose, and the bushing that the shaft and bearing sit on came loose from the nose cone. I was able to get it back in. It looks like my issue is the two spring loaded brushes(?) that sit on the armature. Do I just need to get an extra set of hands to hold them back, hold the nose cone on and then slide it al back together?? It looks like the spring brushes are my issue.

On the plus side, everything looked great inside. Clean and dry for a 10 year old motor....

thank you and lesson learned.
    tim

2. Member
    I was able to get it all back together - hopefully correctly.

I I was able to apply just enough pressure to get the brushes to stay ‘out’ while I squeezed the thing back together. I really didn’t have to force anything.

Is is there anything to check to make sure I didn’t screw anything up? Prop seems to spin smoothly. What is the torque for those bolts that hold it together? Seal wise, I saw the one on head by the prop and the one on the nose cone. They both seemed OK. Are those the two critical seals? Is it possible me to replace them without a total disassembly?

thanks
    tim

John Jones will post a reply to help you out.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    New question - on the schematic for the lower unit, I see o-rings on the thru bolts. Do they go by the threads or by the head? Assuming by the head of the bolt.

Thanks
    Tim