Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Do your boat batteries....

I keep my boat in my garage and charge my boat batteries every so often. When they get fully charged I unplug the charger and if I don't use the boat for a couple weeks I'll plug it in before I go to the lake and it always takes awhile to get them back to fully charged. In the winter if they set for a month or two they will run down below 50%. Is it normal for them to drain when they set for a couple weeks or longer? I've been unplugging my trolling motor and those are still down also as well as the main battery. Normal?

My batteries are AGM Northstars, I charge when I return from the lake and the night before I fish again. Haven't fished since Nov.4th . I plugged in for a weekend club tx this Wed. and the charger was green in less than 20 min.

3. Member
    Mine sit outside in my boat for the winter . Once a month I plug them in ..just to top them off..only takes less than a hr
    sounds like you might have something drawing off them ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

4. Member
    Newer boat motors draw a small amount of juice. Would not think trolling motor batteries would , but do not know for sure. I have a real old boat, and unhook batteries when not in use.

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    In the winter mine are on a timer to top off once a week
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

6. Bob G's pool boy
    How long do they take to charge? I have had chargers that read very low initially but charged up in no time. You could also check them with a voltage meter to see how low they really are.

Depending on how old they are, it may be time for them to be replaced. Cold weather exposes weak batteries.

If you had anything drawing on them they would be completely dead if they set for a month or two, especially in the winter.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

7. Member
    poles or talons without an off switch?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    Mine just stay plugged in.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billspence View Post
    How long do they take to charge? I have had chargers that read very low initially but charged up in no time. You could also check them with a voltage meter to see how low they really are.

Depending on how old they are, it may be time for them to be replaced. Cold weather exposes weak batteries.

If you had anything drawing on them they would be completely dead if they set for a month or two, especially in the winter.
    Hadn't charged them in 6 weeks. Took 3 hours to charge, had some really cold weather in that 6 weeks though

10. Banned
    I throw both breakers on mine before leaving the ramp/parking lot and hook up the charger when i get home. Once fully charged i unhook the charger. Whenever i go again i plug up the charger and they are all ready in less than 30 minutes. I have agm trolls and standard crank. All Duracell from Sam's club.

11. Member
    Fully charge then mine go battery tenders. Battery's always have as much power as their capable of. Batteries gain memory when not 100% charged and cold weather is a killer. A Battery Tender will save you a lot of money and their the only product I trust maintaining a battery after initial charge.

12. Member
    Nope. Duracell agm 31s here, no problems.

13. Member
    Running a Minn Kota MK318. Charges quickly when batteries are down, tappers to a maintenance level, leave it plugged in all the time. Each bank adjusts to the type battery being charged.

14. Member
    I would not expect them to be down to 50% if stored with no load. Chargers with % indicators are just guesstimates, you should check them with a digital voltmeter before charging.

15. Member
    Plugged in 24/7 except when I am gone overnight.

16. Member
    Just like my golf cart, if its not in use the batts are on the charger. They last longer this way.

Quote Originally Posted by badbaggerHD View Post
    Just like my golf cart, if its not in use the batts are on the charger. They last longer this way.
    ^^^ What he said ^^^

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    A lower amp per bank charger will take longer to top off....10 amps per bank chargers will top off batterys in half the time of 5 amps per bank etc.....

19. Scraps
    Could you have something drawing on the battery? I think of NMEA network power and/or power poles without a main power switch.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

20. Member
    I would have to say that if they are losing 50% of charge then something is pulling them down or they are going bad, may want to get them load tested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast