Talon and Bracket Fell Off - TWICE!!!!

I have a buddy who had his talon fall off 2 weeks ago. The 2 bolts on the bracket and jack plate loosened up and the whole thing fell off - luckily just seconds after he killed the big motor. He said the other side was only a couple of threads from falling off too. I told him he has to check his junk ever so often. Well he fixed it this week and retightened the other side. He just texted me and said the other side just fell off at Sam Rayburn. I have had 3-4 sets of talons and honestly not even sure if I had 1 bolt loosen up much less both bolts loosen up enough to actually come out. Then today, supposedly it went from fully tight to backed out on 1 trip. Actually he just texted again and said only the top bolt completely backed out and the bottom was loose so it didn't fall off today but rolled down. 2014-Dual 12' with MK bracket and fold hinges. Has the MK bracket on inside of JP

Anybody seen this before?
    Last edited by barbarian; 03-23-2019 at 05:25 PM.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Cant say as I've heard of that but story made me laugh..

Sabotage maybe?? Maybe his trailer wheels are out of balance and it's being shaken to death.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    It's a nut and bolt so if it keeps backing off, it can't maintain it's torque, assuming he is torquing them with a torque wrench that is, as required. If this is the case then I suggest he installs new bolts and buts, if not then at least new nylok nuts. Torque them as needed and recheck after his next trip or two to be sure, that should solve the issue.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    I’ve never heard of this. Did he torque them?
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I will say zero chance he torqued them. I've never heard of this either and also asked if he's been fighting with a neighbor. And suggested it's most likely happening on the trailer. In the end I advised him to start over with 4 bolts, nuts, washers and keep the wrench in his boat and make it a routine at ramp just like the plug (going and coming). He's lucky that he hasn't damaged talons, boat or motor yet.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Even if they are not torqued. Tight is tight shouldnt be loosening up that fast to the point of falling off. Hes got some major issues going on. I'd go with the crazy x wife or girlfriend even neighbor theory.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Even if they are not torqued. Tight is tight shouldnt be loosening up that fast to the point of falling off. Hes got some major issues going on. I'd go with the crazy x wife or girlfriend even neighbor theory.
    HAHAHA! That has to be it as well. Someone is messing with his boat for sure
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Talons come with Loctite in the box.......use it.

10. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    He's not using Nyloks and lock washers.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

11. Member
    He said there was a rectangular bracket that was on inside of jackplate that both bolts threaded into but he said there wasn't a nut. I haven't seen it so I'm not sure. I told him to not use the bracket, but individual nuts and bolts.

12. Member
    Sounds like he has a slide master plate and is bolting thru the plate that's on the inside. I would highly suggest he gets longer bolts and put lock nuts on them

13. Member
    I run my boat on Lake Huron all last summer and never had a problem. Something isn't right, but it isn't the Talons.

M

14. Member
    Evidently he is using a female German torque spec. Even if he was using the male version “gutentight” they shouldn’t loosen like that. Had some on a slide master plate which sounds like what he has and mine never came apart like that and I did not use nylock nuts. He must have square trailer tires.