Thread: Weight Loss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weight Loss

I've gotten WAY overweight (67yr.old) due to a pinched sciatic nerve that can keep me from walking. So I have to use a walker for 3-4 days at a time. Comes and goes for whatever reason. No weight whatsoever on my left foot. I've been using the "MyFitnessPal" app but not completely happy. I don't hardly do any exercises for fear of aggravatingthe nerve. Yesterday saw a 5-day Nutrisystem kit. Anyone had success with them or have any other ways to lose weight? I'm to the point of asking my Dr. during my upcoming physical for some prescription help. Even thinking bypass or balloon?

I did the Nutri System thing. I think it was 8-10 weeks altogether. That was last March. I lost over 50 lbs. (Went from 248-250 to 191) Easiest thing I've ever done and I kept the weight off without any real problem, except for a little self control which has never been my strong point!.

Food was fine, not gourmet and you could, depending on the plan, (Mine was the $289. deal) you could plan each meal, each snack etc, getting all your favorites.

I gained 9 lbs over the holidays, and their still with me so I might do a "Tune-up" order for four weeks. Meanwhile, I gotta say that their "Just eat the food and you'll lose the weight" slogan is actually right on the mark. I give it 5 Stars!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post
    I did the Nutri System thing. I think it was 8-10 weeks altogether. That was last March. I lost over 50 lbs. (Went from 248-250 to 191) Easiest thing I've ever done and I kept the weight off without any real problem, except for a little self control which has never been my strong point!.

Food was fine, not gourmet and you could, depending on the plan, (Mine was the $289. deal) you could plan each meal, each snack etc, getting all your favorites.

I gained 9 lbs over the holidays, and their still with me so I might do a "Tune-up" order for four weeks. Meanwhile, I gotta say that their "Just eat the food and you'll lose the weight" slogan is actually right on the mark. I give it 5 Stars!
    Damn! I wasn't expecting that. Thanks

4. Member
    You may want to pick up the book, Fit for Life. I lost 28 pounds probably 15 years ago and have kept it off. To really simplify what the book teaches you. Never combine meats and carbs. If you must eat meat, like I do. Simply replace the potatoes or the rice and bread with a vegetable. Trust me, you won't feel like you're starving! If you must have carbs, substitute the meat with vegetables. If you do this consistently, you will be able to get your weight down, and keep it down. For life.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    I’m down a size since Jan 1. Haven’t had a fast food meal or Chinese food in months. I go to the gym every day and pound out 45 min on the Arc trainer. Holy crap I miss Pizza but I know if I have a piece I will just wolf if down!
    Red Sox in 6!

6. Member
    Without knowing more about your lifestyle hard to give a definitive answer. One of the biggest things you can do to trim some weight is don't drink alcohol, fast food and soda/sugary drinks. Since you aren't able to exercise consistently you will have to cut weight with diet. Also, whatever the doctor can/will do or any special diets will only work if you make lifestyle changes related to food. Otherwise you will just be back to where you are.

7. Member
    My opinion only.......You need a nutrition program with a "counselor". Weekly weigh ins. Prescribed food, diet etc. I did Ideal Protein through my doctors office....Essentially a monitored Keto program. Low carbs etc. Started last May at 264...August 1st weighed 204. You just have to look at it likes its 3-4months and your done. It will change your life.

I've been carnivore/keto for 6 months now, gravitating more towards all carnivore. Good info here ...

Ranting incoherently

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I've been carnivore/keto for 6 months now, gravitating more towards all carnivore. Good info here ...

I lost 30 pounds last year doing Keto. It works and I have kept ketoish eating habits since I last November when I came off it. I have not gained any of it back. I would highly suggest it.

10. Member
    I, too, have been on Keto. Only for a month, but I lost 17 lbs and have never been hungry yet.

Basically, you STOP eating everything white. No breads; buns; rolls; toast; potatoes; rice etc. But, you get to eat all of the meat and cheese that you want. Substitute Cauliflower mashed potatoes; Zucchini noodles and a dozen other Keto friendly items and you won't miss bread so much. Oh, this morning I tried a Keto friendly frozen bread from Whole Foods. It said made from Almond Flour. I threw it out, as it tasted like we swept up my woodshop and made bread from the floor leavings. Some things work, some do not.

You have to LOOK when you go to the store. I drink a single protein drink now for breakfast. Ensure was something like 32 carbs..the protein drink at WalMart that I buy is 4 carbs. Tastes the same, probably cost a bit less, and it holds me until lunch.

Prior to getting on this diet, I'd have the protein drink and they add a double sausage and egg breakfast from a fast food place. I am simply not very hungry anymore, yet I feel full most of the time. You do have to add some powdered fiber to keep you regular. Other than that, and a bit of dry-mouth feeling..it is GREAT.

As far as exercise, there is a SITTING stretch and exercise program on TV. I don't do it, but it sounds like it might help you some.

11. Member
    Thanks everyone. Gives me some things to research and maybe try

How about unpinching the sciatic nerve? A Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic surgeon can fix that. You will still want to control your weight and exercise and diet is the answer for that. Cortisone injections can relieve the pain. Surgery, if indicated, can fix it.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    How about unpinching the sciatic nerve? A Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic surgeon can fix that. You will still want to control your weight and exercise and diet is the answer for that. Cortisone injections can relieve the pain. Surgery, if indicated, can fix it.
    Hooksetter, I've had 2 sets of shots to the spine. Can't tell how much help they were. And I've heard too many horror stories about surgery. I'd rather limp around than have any permenant damage

14. Member
    Losing weight is simple on paper, tough in execution. What it comes down to is calories in vs calories out. If your not active you need to eat alot less than someone who is active. Finding your TDEE is really important as that figures out how many cals you spend to make it through the day.

A good nutritionist and weekly follow ups are a must if you really want to lose weight.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    X2 ^^^
    Have you been diagnosed and treated?

16. Member
    I went on medifast 10 weeks ago. Im down 40lbs! Im 195lbs now. It's not hard, just eat what they tell you when your supposed to. Good luck with your weight loss. It's more about wanting to do it along with some willpower.

17. Member
    i did the profile plan and took off 130 lbs in 8 mo. it is mostly shakes and protein bars lots of water and vegies. it is a little pricey but there are on line stores where i bought the same food with a different wrapper. i did mine without much exercise because i need two knee replacements (just got done having one done) to look at the plan go to www. profileplan.net

18. Member
    I'm doing WW. I used to laugh at all my friends mother's counting their points and getting nowhere when I was a kid, but they must have gotten it all straightened out. A buddy of mine lost 40 pounds in 3 months last summer doing it. So I signed up. I'm not following it as strictly as I should, but it has helped me to make better decisions, and when I eat something "bad", I do so with the knowledge of what I'm doing & how bad it really is. I've lost a little over 15 pounds in 2 months. There's an app for your phone, and you can just scan barcodes of food to look it up. Also has a lot of info from restaurants, and a way to enter your own recipes to get points values assigned.

I was hungry a bit in the beginning, but the biggest thing this app taught me was portion control. You adjust. We went out to dinner last night to the local Mexican joint. No appetizers, and I was so full I couldn't even finish my entree.

You also get to "earn more points" via exercising. There are all sorts of activities you can track - from climbing stairs to shoveling snow. Yes, even fishing is in there. Just pick your activity and enter how long you did it for.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll send you a referral link. We both get a free month from it.

The best thing about it is you still eat whatever the heck you want, you just adjust how much of it you eat. And, good news - fish is zero points! (unless you fry it - lol). Broiled, grilled, sushi - all zero.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    X2 ^^^
    Have you been diagnosed and treated?
    Yes. Was told that lots of arthritis in spine joints and not quite bad enough to warrant surgery. If shots didn't work next would be pain control

20. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    If you don't know or understand Carbs > ex. complex carbs, sodium(salts) etc. Go on ebay and buy for $4 (hugh discount book warehouses) Mayo Clinic diet book > DO NOT Buy the Journal- that is just empty pages to list food/exercises... EAT lot of veggies- Mejiers Grocery has low sodium vegetables in can (50mg per can ) portions, I bought some salad plates 8.5 inches diameter and even nice paper plates 8.5 inch to make food look larger... I was eating good but portion size makes a Hugh Difference. I ever realized I was eating out at least 4 times a week, picking up tacos or a Hot Dog or a Sub for supper. You have to start cooking yourself and not make 10 chicken thighs or bbq 4 burgers for the next day.. Just cook for 1 meal...Our grocery bill went from $300+ a month to $200 and 40% of that is fruit and veggies. Wife buys her junk/treats (processed foods) separately and has her shelve and drawer...My whole top shelf is almond milk, bottles of water, unsweetened tea and egg beaters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast