Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

13 Fishing Rods??’s

Can anyone comment on the quality of the 13 fishing Omen and Fate fishing rods? I have the ability to purchase some next week for $49.99 as fleet farm is having a truckload sale on them. I’m just getting back into bass fishing and have zero tackle or rods, but don’t worry I have a boat,lol! So I need to build a collection and curious if these are good, or not worth the money!

I’ve kinda read mixed reviews on them. So not sure! Thanks!!
    Last edited by evangorp; 03-23-2019 at 02:28 PM.

2. Member
    Better buy several as EVERY 13 Fishing rod I have owned or friends owned have broken. 2" of tip broke, however I thought it would make a good frog rod with a new tip guide. Next the rod broke in half. I could have gotten a new Omen Black under the warranty agreement for $50. Just threw the rod away after saving guides. Wasn't worth $50 to me. Buddy had three spinning Envy rods break. Another friend had a tip break off in the store when he bent the tip with his finger. Are they worth the money? I am sure some have and like their 13 Fishing rods and $49 would be a steal to those.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Better buy several as EVERY 13 Fishing rod I have owned or friends owned have broken. 2" of tip broke, however I thought it would make a good frog rod with a new tip guide. Next the rod broke in half. I could have gotten a new Omen Black under the warranty agreement for $50. Just threw the rod away after saving guides. Wasn't worth $50 to me. Buddy had three spinning Envy rods break. Another friend had a tip break off in the store when he bent the tip with his finger. Are they worth the money? I am sure some have and like their 13 Fishing rods and $49 would be a steal to those.
    Yup tried three. All broke at the tip

4. Member
    Had a 6'11" ML Envy Green, broke 3 guides down on a 2lb pickeral. Also have a 6'3" M Muse Black no issues at all. Tried a 6'7" Omen no problems with that one either but returned it, felt it was too heavy.

5. Member
    Terrible rods

6. Member
    Thanks for the honest/truthful feedback! After researching more last night, I believe I am leaning towards using a mix of St Criox Bass X rods and Shimano SLX rods. Tactical Bassin on YouTube has tried these rods, and for the money they seem pretty good for a beginner! Probably pair them with Daiwa Fuego CT casting and Daiwa Fuego LT spinning reels. This will put me right at about $200 per combo which is where I want to be!

7. Member
    My .02, I like my Omens. I've beat the snot out of them and haven't broken one. I think some of their rods are questionable, but mine have been fine. I will say though, I'm not a fan of the Bass X. It's just the old first gen Mojo Bass rod blanks which are heavy and not the greatest. The second gen Mojo Bass is better, but mine have been fragile. Broken 3 out of 5 of them I've owned.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

8. Member
    13s warranty service has been fantastic for me. They have replaced lots of rods for me for free, no questions asked. Quickly too. Even rods I've broken by accident and should be charged for...they never charged me. Plus I sent them a broken reel and they fixed & cleaned it and had it back to me within 5 days.

Of all the 13 products I've used the best have been the Muse Black rods and the Concept C reels.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    13s warranty service has been fantastic for me. They have replaced lots of rods for me for free, no questions asked. Quickly too. Even rods I've broken by accident and should be charged for...they never charged me. Plus I sent them a broken reel and they fixed & cleaned it and had it back to me within 5 days.

Of all the 13 products I've used the best have been the Muse Black rods and the Concept C reels.
    Only had 1 issue with a rod, but it was never resolved. My problem was minor in scope compared to ones you have had.

Popped a guide off of my Omen Black 2 pulling a snag free, the braid was wrapped around it and I didn't realize. I actually put the guide back into the epoxy but it needed to be rewrapped. I wasn't sure if it was damaged though so I wanted a new guide. 13 Fishing said they were going to ship me the factory guide after I emailed them asking about getting the direct replacement.
    I was planning to get it wrapped at my local shop.

The Email was on Feb 11th, 2019 and I still haven't seen the guide. I actually emailed them March 26th, 2019 on the reply thread to tell them our relationship IS OVER!! The rod was repaired Feb 20th. 13 and I are about 3hrs away from each other so they had plenty of time. Never buying anything of theirs ever again.

Abu has given me amazing service in comparison when I needed help resolving issues. Hopefully my other brands will be as good if I ever need something resolved.

10. Member
    I have a omen black spinning rod and like it enough. If you can get them for $50 and are just getting back into bass fishing I’d say it wouldn’t be a bad idea to get one. Maybe get an all purpose rod for moving baits.

11. Member
    I own a 7'6" Heavy Envy Black. The one with the recoil guides. It's very light and has good sensitivity. I don't use it a lot but I have set hard with it on some decent fish including a bowfin that was 10+lbs and the rod hasn't broken yet. That said I'm not really a fan of the guides or the action and would not buy another rod from them. I've just reached a point where I know what I like and prefer to stick with the big names. A high end rod from one of the big brands will hold it's value much better than any of the smaller upstarts should you ever decide to sell it.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have a 7’ med/mod Fate Chrome with a Concept A that I use as my squarebill rod. With 40lb 832 on it it’s the perfect squarebill rod. It’s light, keeps the fish pinned and has held up very well. Those 2 items are the only 13 fishing items I have but both have been great to me.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Member
    I had a cheaper DEFY spinning rod that broke on me last year near the tip and some of their old No. 8 tackle models weren't the greatest. But, I also have a Fate Chrome 7-1 Med/xfast casting that has been great. Used it for heavier Ned rigs. Caught a lot of fish with it and no issues. Also a Casting Fate Chrome 6-7 and a 6-7 Omen that I use for Chatter baits and have had no issues with either. I almost like the Chromes better even though they are cheaper, but not as many stores carry those and they are not the ones on sale at FF now. I did get a Green Fate for the $50 FF special price at Xmas, so we will see how that one goes.

14. Member
    Highly recommend the BassX series’s of Rods. I have the 7’ MF and it’s way lighter than the old mojos because they don’t use the resin to create the glossy finish. The new mojos are a little stiffer but more sensitive. 95% of the rods I use are St Croix and I’ve never broke one and some are over 10yrs old.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

15. Member
    I've had 8 13 rods in the boat for the last 6 years and have never broke one and they've not been babied. The fate chrome is a very very fine rod for the money.

16. Member
    I keep 3 of the original Omen rods at my folks’ house on the delta. They live water front so I fish them whenever I visit and they’ve performed well. They’ve got a clean look and great sensitivity for the price I paid.

I habe broken an Omen spinning rod but have not tried to warranty it yet. My Envy BFS rod has performed well w/o issue as well.

All in on all I recommend their rods.

I had a couple ahd they performed pretty good for me. I eventually sold them bc I wanted something else. For $50 I think you would like them

18. Member
    I have 4 gen 1 omens, 2 gen 1 envy and a gen 2 omen. Only one I broke was my fault. My first gen 1 envy had a reel seat break and I sent it in and got a new free. Can't complain about mine...good sticks in their price point
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

19. Member
    I broke mine twice...... I stuck the butt section in the dirt in the yard and clip the dog cable in the lure clip to keep it up off the dirt. Works good for that!

20. Member
    I have 3 envy black and 2 omen black gen 1 going on the 5th year, no problem with these five rods.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast