Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calibrating Ultrex

Watch a couple videos of people calibrating their Ultrex one person said the smaller you make the 2 circles with the boat the more accurate it will be. Any truth to this? Thank you.

2. Member
    No truth whatsoever. A circle is still a circle regardless of size. The reason is to determine the difference between the alignment of the sensor with keel and compass (sensor) to know the offset.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Member
    Thanks for your input, didn't make sense to me either.

4. Member
    I calibrated mine this weekend. I just set it at 45 degrees or so. Worked out fine. I don't know how I lived without that thing.

5. Banned
    Are you using the Troller to make the circles or Big Motor.? Thanks

I used the trolling motor. My reasoning was that the sensor communicates with the trolling motor. Wanted to make sure that the trolling motor was facing the direction of travel as I made my circles. May not make a difference though.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Banned
    Thanks

That is an interesting take... to do the circles with the trolling motor instead of the big motor... I wonder what Minn Kota's take on this is. Maybe I need to give them a call. Good points in this thread.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

9. Member
    I used the trolling motor to do the circles. Just seemed like the right way to do it to me I guess. I never even considered using the big motor.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

10. Member
    I have seen videos of it done both ways. I chose to let the trolling motor make the circles but I don't know that it would make a difference. My understanding is that is just calibrating the compass which generally just has to find north in order to identify bearing. The offset calibration is where I think it would be critical to get the trolling motor pointing dead ahead and then set so that it can see the difference between where the compass is pointing and where the head is pointing to function properly. Just my opinion based from reading the manual.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

11. Member
    I did the circles with the trolling motor as well and it's working great for me....
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

Just out of curiosity, for the guys that calibrated their heading sensor by way of doing the two circles with the trolling motor... have any of you guys used the "jog" feature while in spot lock mode?
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X