Good reason not to run downscan only

If I am reading this right the downscan is showing two stumps that does not show up on the 2d. I assume the reason is that the DS has a wider beam angle thus picking up the 2 stumps. Without the 2d it would appear the stumps and the bottom structure are basically together. Being as the depth is shallow they cannot be very far apart. If you were in 20 ft of water they could actually be 10-15 ft apart.
    Also there is no way of telling where the stumps are in relation to the other structure. The two dark lines I assume are shadows from the stumps which if they are, really messes with my head as to how the images are presented on the screen.
    If I am reading this wrong please correct me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    especially when your 2d cone coverage is only 5ft

also makes a legitimate case for having 3d

3. Member
    I believe that the shadows are because the stumps as you said are not directly under the boat. Thea are in fact to the right of the bottom structure that you see on the 2D, thus casting a shadow from the downview since as you also said, the downview has a wider beam. Hope this makes since.

4. Member
    I would bet those are weeds, no stumps. Go back over them with the traditional and see what return you get. Personally I run both to get the whole story.
    I have a boat.

5. Member
    No weeds in the river channel.
    See plenty of stumps that show up just like the two here.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shelfish View Post
    I believe that the shadows are because the stumps as you said are not directly under the boat. Thea are in fact to the right of the bottom structure that you see on the 2D, thus casting a shadow from the downview since as you also said, the downview has a wider beam. Hope this makes since.
    What are you looking at that allows you to know they are to the right?