Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blown away by GMC Canyon 4 cyl diesel

My brother recently purchased a Canyon with the 4 cyl diesel. He gets over 600 miles per tank and 17 mpg towing his ranger 520. You do not notice the boat is there. He still has his Chevrolet 2500 diesel, but given the better ride and performance he is getting, he is towing with the Canyon. You have to drive it with the boat behind you to believe it

Over 30mpg with a 4cyl diesel pickup? Awesome. I get about 17-18 not towing (city/hwy combo) with my 5cyl Colorado (gas).
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

3. Member
    great mileage, great ride and tows well. if they would put the motor in the base model, I would buy one in hearbeat.

4. Member
    You would think a version would be offered in the 1/2 ton, especially in the WT trim.

5. Member
    Would love to have >$40k to spend on a compact truck.

6. Member
    I did the calculations on the extra cost of the diesel vs the gas version. You can get the gas version loaded for $42 K. Both ran great. The diesel in the long run was much more expensive when you factor in the $3500 up-charge for the diesel engine and the fuel cost differential. So I ended up with a nicely equipped full size year end model for about the same money. I was also looking at the Ford Ranger. But the dealers where I live were asking MSRP for them which was a non starter for me. Im sure the diesel version is a very nice vehicle to own though.

Hope he likes it.

Seen a new GMC 4 door version the other day at a stop light. What got my attention was a parking lot door ding in the rear door still had the temp tag on it. That sucks!

Then I noticed the bottom 8" of both left doors were how do I say very friendly. They were waving at me. Dark color so you could see it really well.

They looked like ripples in the water! Bottom 8" from end to end both doors and they hadn't been damage it's how they were produced.

Quality GM engineering I guess. Looked real nice!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

The manufacturers won’t leave money on the table for the customer. The math almost never adds up to buy a diesel pickup.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

9. Member
    I have a 17 diesel canyon. It's fantastic. I believe I paid a bit under 36K for the STL trim with just about all the goodies available at the time.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    I did the calculations on the extra cost of the diesel vs the gas version. You can get the gas version loaded for $42 K. Both ran great. The diesel in the long run was much more expensive when you factor in the $3500 up-charge for the diesel engine and the fuel cost differential. So I ended up with a nicely equipped full size year end model for about the same money. I was also looking at the Ford Ranger. But the dealers where I live were asking MSRP for them which was a non starter for me. Im sure the diesel version is a very nice vehicle to own though.
    When I shopped the "mid sized" trucks I ended up with a loaded Ridgeline. I leased that one since I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with a smaller truck. It did everything I asked of it "truck wise" with a 5,000 pound tow rating. The Canyon has a bunch more rating, but I'm not towing more than the truck weighs, thats just me!

Here are some numbers I looked at considering the two.

http://calcnexus.com/fuel-cost-calcu...mpg2=21&calc=1

The diesel will pay for itself in about three years. If you factor in resale maybe two? I drive about 25,000 miles a year.

http://calcnexus.com/fuel-cost-calcu...mpg2=21&calc=1

The smaller gas truck made more sense in the short run.

The reason I brought up a WT is fleet sales. If I can't afford the 60-70 a month to drive something nice and full size vs a mid size then I likely shouldn't be driving a new anything. You still have higher insurance and taxes to think about. The only reason I didn't stick with a mid size is the room in one. I felt cramped in them, especially if anyone was in the back seat.

The OP mentioned towing a 520. I recently pulled a new 520L to Florida and back. We averaged 12 MPG pulling 72ish mph. My Tundra has massive brakes, I still wouldn't want to haul down a 520 in an emergency with it. NO WAY would I want to try it with a mid size!!!

FWIW I have two in-laws with eco-diesels. Indeed they can get real close to 30MPG on the open road...IF...IF it's flat and you don't raw dog them. Too bad my FIL's left him stranded on the side of the road three times in the first 30K miles and limped in to the dealership before he finally got rid of it. My BIL has done a delete on his and I recently (it broke down here at Thanksgiving and he drove one of ours home)had to take it for it's fourth forced regeneration because some sort of module went bad. I don't think it's the diesels it's the daggum EPA mandates that is killing the market. You can buy a small diesel in about anything anywhere else in the world.

I just towed my 178 (alot smaller than a 520 ) to kissimmee from homestead, 3 1/2 hrs each way averaged 18.7 mpg both ways in my Z71 colly gasser.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

12. Member
    You got almost 19 MPG pulling that boat at 70+ MPH with a gas Colorado?

Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    I just towed my 178 (alot smaller than a 520 ) to kissimmee from homestead, 3 1/2 hrs each way averaged 18.7 mpg both ways in my Z71 colly gasser.
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    That's impressive!
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    That would be correct.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

I brought home a new leftover 2018 Colorado duramax yesterday. It listed for $43,9xx.xx I got it for $31,8xx.xx. It's pretty much loaded. I'm really impressed so far. It was a 3 1/2 hour drive each way to get it. The 2016 Silverado I traded got me 20.1 mpg on the way there and the Colorado was 28.3 mpg on the way back. I only ran premium in my Silverado to get it to run good. $3.26 a gallon vs the $2.69 a gallon in diesel. Regular gas is $2.66 a gallon right now. I couldn't get a full size truck bought for less than $40k with less options. I tried at 3 different dealers for GM and two different Toyota dealers and a Ford dealer. But I've had mid size trucks before so I was leaning that way anyhow. Plus this checks a bucket list item of owning a diesel truck. Lol.... I did get a bumper to bumper 100,000 mile extended warranty, hopefully I never use it. I haven't towed anything yet with it but I will be towing my Xpress X19 13 hours to Canada in August. So we'll see how it does. It's not a full size truck but for everyday driving and towing my 3000 lbs boat around it should do just fine. I'll probably post my thoughts on the truck after a few months of use.

16. Member
    What is the max tow rating on a diesel Colorado? Are they designed to tow a 5,000# boat/trailer combo?

7700 lbs max tow rating.

18. Banned
    Ya great little truck I bet, my f150 2.7 eb was over 15 grand less and double the size of truck with with 11.5L per 100km so roughly 1000 km a tank. A 2019 canyon diesel sle is over $50,000 cnd plus tax my f150 xtr was $36,000 cnd that's a $14,000 difference and the canyon is compact not full size. No thanks about $20,000 over priced not worth it in my opinion. But that's me...

19. Member
    Let us know how much it cost to repair when it goes out of warranty....

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tx_basser View Post
    Let us know how much it cost to repair when it goes out of warranty....
    I have about 10 buddies that have 2.7 or 3.5 f150 eb ranging from brand new to over 150,000 kms and have zero issues. So sure soon as some one I know personally including myself has an issue I let you know. Not my cousins sisters brothers neighbors aunts husbands boss’s f150 eb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast