2017 Triton 21TRX Performance Update

2017 21TRX w/dual consoles.
    2017 Mercury 250 ProXS 2 Stroke w/Gen 2 TM 1.75:1.
    10" Atlas hydraulic jackplate w/ 2 degree wedges for positive trim.
    (2) Power Pole 8' Blades.
    Motorguide 109 TE 36V.
    (2) HDS 12's w/ Smartcraft engine data.
    (3) Battle Born 100 Ah lithium batteries for 36V trolling motor.
    (1) NorthStar Group 31 battery for outboard cranking and accessories.
    (1) Minn Kota Precision MK 460 PC 4 bank onboard charger.
    No water in the livewells.
    42 gallons of fuel.
    215 Driver - no passenger.

I pack a fair amount of tackle and gear. I would consider my boat load heavy. These were the first test runs I made since I replaced my three Trojan SCS 225 batteries for three Battle Born 100 Ah lithium batteries. By replacing my Trojan batteries at 66 lbs each = 198 lbs for the Battle Born lithium's 29 lbs each = 87 lbs, I removed 111 lbs from the rear engine compartment. I noticed a big improvement on the hole shot and mid range acceleration. My top end speed improved about 1 mph.

Test Run Information - Sunday 12/10/2017.
    Lake Whatcom - deep clear lake - elevation 312 feet above sea level.
    Light chop - good running conditions.
    Air temperature 45 degrees.
    Surface water temperature 46 degrees.
    Prop to pad measurements were based on the best speed and performance from each prop.
    Speed readings from HDS 12 / Point 1 GPS.
    Engine RPM data from Smartcraft linked to HDS 12.

25P Fury 3 blade - stock prop w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 ½” prop to pad.
    5900 + RPM's.
    Water pressure 20 PSIG +.
    75.6 MPH.
    Hole shot excellent / bow lift average.

25P Fury 3 blade - minor work by Mark Croxton w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 ½” prop to pad.
    5900 + RPM's.
    76.2 MPH.
    Holeshot excellent / bow lift average.

26P Tempest Plus 3 blade - repitched to 25P B&B by Mark Croxton w/ 3 large vent plugs.
    3" prop to pad.
    5900 + RPM's.
    76.2 MPH.
    Hole shot good - minor ventilation at break over / bow lift good.

The reworked 26P to 25P Tempest Plus had a little more bow lift but the reworked 25P Fury had a better overall feel and a little bit quicker hole shot. With a passenger and a little more gear load, the reworked 26P to 25P Tempest Plus might be the better performer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test Run Information – Sunday 3/10/2019
    Lake Whatcom – deep clear lake – elevation 312 feet above sea level.
    Light chop – excellent running conditions.
    Air temperature 49 degrees.
    Surface water temperature 43 degrees.
    Prop to pad measurements were based on the best speed and performance from each prop.

24P Fury 3 blade – Cup added and B&B by Mark Croxton w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 ½” prop to pad.
    5900 + RPM’s.
    74.5 MPH.
    Hole shot excellent / bow lift good.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test Run Information – Saturday 3/16/2019
    Lake Whatcom – deep clear lake – elevation 312 feet above sea level.
    Light chop – good running conditions.
    Air temperature 54 degrees.
    Surface water temperature 43 degrees.

24P Fury 3 blade – stock prop w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 ½” prop to pad.
    6000 RPM’s.
    74 MPH.
    Holeshot excellent / bow lift average.

26P Tempest Plus 3 blade – B&B and cup added by Mark Croxton w/ 3 large vent plugs.
    2 ¾” prop to pad.
    5900 RPM’s
    Water pressure 20 PSIG +
    75.5 MPH
    Hole shot good – minor ventilation at break over / bow lift good.
    **Below 2 ¾” prop to pad, RPM’s increased slightly but the MPH started to drop off.
    Last edited by stein3411; 03-26-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: information mistake

Great info man...Those numbers are solid! I run a very similar set up to you with a 230 lb passenger and an ultrex but minus the poles. The best prop for me under tournament situations has been a Croxton B&B 26 pitch Tempest Plus. I've been seeing 73-75 mph @ approximately 5800 RPM this spring. The Fury does have a better hole shot though.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    Great info man...Those numbers are solid! I run a very similar set up to you with a 230 lb passenger and an ultrex but minus the poles. The best prop for me under tournament situations has been a Croxton B&B 26 pitch Tempest Plus. I've been seeing 73-75 mph @ approximately 5800 RPM this spring. The Fury does have a better hole shot though.
    Jeff, looks like you are right in there. Once I put my partner in the boat, I wont be seeing 76 mph. I'm hoping to maintain in the 73 mph range. What P2P are you running the B&B 26P Tempest Plus?

I have no idea actually...I have not measured it. I have a Bob's hydraulic jackplate and the Tempest likes to run about 2 notches above the half way point on the gauge. I need to measure it one of these days. The Tempest definitively likes to run quite a bit higher up than the Fury though.

5. Banned
    Good numbers. I have hit 74 mph gps in my 2017 20 TRX. That is loaded in cold water. 25 3 blade fury.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtriton80 View Post
    Good numbers. I have hit 74 mph gps in my 2017 20 TRX. That is loaded in cold water. 25 3 blade fury.
    What elevation are you running at above sea level?

7. Member
    Great numbers and thank you for the info!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 05ranger View Post
    Great numbers and thank you for the info!
    My pleasure. Hope this helps some of the boy's that have the 21TRX. I've been thinking about repowering with a new 4S 300R after this season. A fellow BBC member sent me a video of a 21TRX w/300R running 85 ------ and that was with three people in the boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    My pleasure. Hope this helps some of the boy's that have the 21TRX. I've been thinking about repowering with a new 4S 300R after this season. A fellow BBC member sent me a video of a 21TRX w/300R running 85 ------ and that was with three people in the boat.
    And here is the link https://youtu.be/sw2pTDgHSQg

I almost pulled the trigger on a 300R...The motor is expensive to begin with but the cost of the extended platinum warranty is what turned me off...

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    I almost pulled the trigger on a 300R...The motor is expensive to begin with but the cost of the extended platinum warranty is what turned me off...
    Agreed, with the price of that motor, you would think they’ll be more than willing to give you a decent warranty. If they don’t have faith in it, why should you? They don’t have appear to be to confident.....