Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    The 2014+ 5.3 did not have the same oil consumption issues that plagued the earlier engines, and had considerably more power.
    4.8/5.3 are not the same engine.
    OP; you can't hear the noise in the cab?? It can't be much of a noise. My 2014 will make a slight ticking you can hear standing outside the truck, but not inside.
    Are you using the correct oil?
    The 2014+ 5.3 still burn oil. Ask me how I know? I’m finally done with GM. 3 trucks with the 5.3 and they all use oil. In 2 cases a bunch.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    The 2014+ 5.3 still burn oil. Ask me how I know? I’m finally done with GM. 3 trucks with the 5.3 and they all use oil. In 2 cases a bunch.
    I'm hoping yours is an isolated incident. 50,000 miles and nothing yet. I know at least 6 guys with 2014+ 5.3's, and nothing.

3. Member
    Normal noise, last two I have had have had same noise. No worries, checked by the dealer.

4. Member
    Mine has 180K and uses no oil between changes. It has clattered from day one. LS engines make good power and are lighter than the old iron block engines, which makes them a good hot rod candidate.
    Speaking of iron engines, my fav small block was the 302. Got a steel crank 327 I keep thinking I should make one out of it. I drag raced a 283 for years. Threw a lot of money away playing that game!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post

afm delete would cure all or most of this likely
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    OP HERE - Oil used is what the GM dealer uses, always regularly serviced.
    The noise is very noticeable outside the vehicle with the hood closed from 20-30 feet.
    I also despise the fuel mgt system. Previous vehicle was a 2011 5.3 which I negated the FM with a Range devise-worked fine. When I bought the new Tahoe Range had me return the device so as to reprogram it.
    Interestingly enough I drove from Indiana to Florida with the AFM active; on the return trip I used the Range and the difference in fuel mileage was negligible. Problem was the vehicle started really acting up, throwing
    wild codes so I quit using it. From the various comments received this must be a normal situation with some 5.3 engines so I guess I will live with it. BUT, I have driven Chevy v8's for 60 years and never had this before.

GM builds junk, but yet people keep buying them?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iufan View Post
    OP HERE - Oil used is what the GM dealer uses, always regularly serviced.
    The noise is very noticeable outside the vehicle with the hood closed from 20-30 feet.
    I also despise the fuel mgt system. Previous vehicle was a 2011 5.3 which I negated the FM with a Range devise-worked fine. When I bought the new Tahoe Range had me return the device so as to reprogram it.
    Interestingly enough I drove from Indiana to Florida with the AFM active; on the return trip I used the Range and the difference in fuel mileage was negligible. Problem was the vehicle started really acting up, throwing
    wild codes so I quit using it. From the various comments received this must be a normal situation with some 5.3 engines so I guess I will live with it. BUT, I have driven Chevy v8's for 60 years and never had this before.
    needs updated or try another brand
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by enforcer410 View Post
    Guilty

10. Member
    I recently replaced a collapsed lifter in my '04.

11. Banned
    They all build junk now.

12. Member
    Wife's 2010 Tahoe with 177,000 miles has been without issues. I recall a slight lifter click at startup heard from the outside before first oil change. Have not heard it since. All our vehicles have always run Mobil1 including an 84 Camaro that was still running strong with 285,000 when I sold it. Had to replace clutch somewhere around 150,000. Hmmm, wonder what caused that.

I use to have the same engine and it use to "tick" especially when the mileage was getting up there. I changed out to full synthetic and add Lucas oil treatment on at least every other oil change and it all but stopped the "tick". Good Luck

14. Member
    I guess every single one off my 5.3's have had a little "tick" when they were cold. The 2008 was the only one that ever let go. That one was a cam/lifter issue that GM had to know about. My FIL'S 6.2 Escalade popped with the same issue before he got rid of it back then. When I traded that 2008 in 2014 the Chevy dealer point blank asked me how many times I'd had the motor repaired. He told me he had a 2008 that had blown up. GM DID rebuild that motor no questions asked. I had my GM's serviced every 5,000 miles or so at the dealerships with Mobil 1 oil changes. I guess I've had several 5.3's over the years? That's the only one that actually blew up on me. The 14 ticked, but that was the farthest from my concern with that truck. GM's 5.3 isn't the only engine suffering from trying to make the EPA mandates. I used to make a weekly trip to pour oil in my mom's 5.0 Town Car. That thing flat out drank the oil. It ran for ever...just as long as you poured oil in the top. I had a little Tercel that did the same thing, drove it for three years after my divorce in 2000...I joke that it got 800 miles per quart of oil. BUT, I sold it running like that with just shy of 200K miles and still running.

You have thousands of mechanical parts in these engines. I don't think there are anymore big heavy cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds? That "ticking" noise could be anyone one these parts. When they tore down my 2008 5.3 I was surprised at how small an area the roller actually made with the cam, it's been decades since I have actually torn down an engine.

FWIW: I can hear a small ticking when I fire up my Tundra if I am standing outside. There are 4 cams operating 32v on that V8 pushing stock 381 HP. I can safely drop a supercharger on top of it and expect it to hold together. I fully expect ANY...and I mean ANY modern engine to run 100K miles without any issues. Some of us remember a car being considered worn out when it had 100K miles on the odometer.

If all you hear is a slight ticking out of your engine when start up, it's not using excessive oil, I'd drive it until you decide you want something different. I watched a neighbor/friend sell a 5.3 Silverado that he ABUSED for 290K miles for 6,000 dollars a few years ago. Still today he laughs at how fanatical I am about maintenance etc...

Lightbulb Ticking

Quote Originally Posted by iufan View Post
    I bought a new 2017 Tahoe and am well pleased with the vehicle. However, I notice a loud 'ticking' sound when I start it cold. The service department at the Chevy dealer says it is normal, something about a high pressure fuel pump. While the noise goes away after awhile it sounds like a lifter to me and I thought the fuel pump was in the gas tank. Anyone have experience with this? I never noticed it when it was new but it has made the noise for a long time, perhaps since the day I bought it. Thanks.
    Went through this about a yr ago. (1997 Chev Silverado 5.7 4 wh dr bought new) Took to several garages and nobody could tell me the cause or the fix. I finally took to dealership and they were lost also and wanted to replace injectors. Happened to be one of their Golden Certified Mechanics there just passing through town and he asked if they had checked fuel pressure. They told him they had and it had 50#. He told them to leave the engine alone and replace the fuel pump in the tank. He said it needed at least 55# of fuel pressure. Knowledge goes a long way. I see why they call them Golden Certified Mechanics. Replace fuel pump and not a tick or problem since.

16. Moderator
    Your comment really helps with the ops question/statement thanks for your input.
    My 5.3 sounds like a baby rattler til it gets warmed up. I have dual exhaust and I can hear the ticking over the muffler noise. But as mentioned by others once it warms up it isn’t “as bad”

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    6.0s have the same issues.....
    I have the 6.0 in my 17GMC, maybe 1/2 a qt at 7,500mi which is when I change the oil, In my 07 Avalance with the 5.3 I was using a qt every 2000mi. and eventually had to change the catalytic converters. Dumped it and will never go to that engine again GM gave me nothing but grief even though they know that engine has problems and I proved it to them showing them the thousands of complaints filed on line. I'm glad your runs gd and has no issues, I have friends that have them and some have issues and some don't.

18. Banned
    2011 here with the 5.3
    Was burning 3 quarts every 5000
    Bought the AFM disabler and it runs great. Burn maybe half a quart every 5000 now.

Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Because they make swap kits for just about any popular RWD car, and they can be had for really cheap at most junk yards. Most of the LS swaps are of the 6.0 kind, not so much the 4.8/5.3
    5.3 os the most common these days. Turbo 5.3's make 800plus horsepower pretty reliably
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    afm delete would cure all or most of this likely
    My son still has his 2014 Gmc slt. It burns 1 qt every 1500 miles. He just ordered the Range afm delete. I hope it does the job. I just traded off my 2014 GMC SLT for a Tundra. My 07 was rebuilt by GM at 50,000 miles and started burning oil again at 60,000 miles. 2 qts between oil changes. I sold that truck as well.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast