Motorrguide tripping breaker

What might be the issue — while running my trolling motor on a high speed for any length of time it trips the breaker on the battery???? Yes breaker is almost to hot to touch! It’s a Motorguide Tour,Thanks!
    JAM'D Outdoors-sponsored by PAPPAWDAD and MIMI!!

2. Member
    Might help everyone to know a little more. What pound thrust, what voltage, what amperage is the breaker?
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

3. Member
    Could be a few problems. Bad Beaker, lose connection, or corroded connector. You mentioned long distance. If you expecting a troll motor to run wide open for a 100 yards and not create a problem,the you are off base. High amp draw will cause your battery voltage to draw down and then drawing more amps to keep the motor preforming at 100%. High amps create heat which in turn will cause wire insulation to melt and fuse together. This could also damage the motor. The Breaker should protect the system from damage. May be the reason why your breaker is tripping.

4. Banned
    You can find out everything you need to know by doing one easy thing, if you so wish to. Take the breaker out, install a amp gauge, have someone watch the the amp gauge while you are on the TM. You will want to perform this test while on the water for real load ressults. Record initial spike and also stabilization draw. That will tell you the draw. If it is low in draw, then most likely it will be the breaker. If high then either a bad connection somewhere, most likely the plug or the motor itself. Its that simple. I would use a analog amp gauge because instead of a VDOM because the initial spike of amps could cause the fue to blow because of their low amp fuse. Post your results here and I am sure the spec can be verified. Hope it helps.

5. Member
    A breaker trips from heat. High current causes heat. Poor connections also cause heat. A current limiter drops a small voltage which causes heat internally. Since yours is "really hot" I'd say it's defective or a connection to it is corroded or loose, if not, it has changed value, if not, your motor is probably bad IF you have the correct amperage rated C/B.
    Many trolling motors cannot take the full power setting for extended periods of time without melting internal connections. They only have 10 gauge wire and all of the splices, switches and connections must be in perfect condition to take high current.

Usually does it on (7) setting while trolling in heavy current, have checked the connection( good)no corrosion either!!
    JAM'D Outdoors-sponsored by PAPPAWDAD and MIMI!!

7. Member
    O.K. you need the Motorguide motor type, pounds thrust, and the number on the current limiter.

This table may be a good reference.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching