Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to me as of today 1992 Champion 201

I bought a 1992 Champion 201 today that is REALLY nice. It has a 2008 Yami VMax 225 motor. The gel coat is in awesome condition. A few minor scrapes here and there, but great for the most part. The seller put it in the water and we rode around for about 45 minutes. Lake was a little rough but this boat rode like a Cadillac. I have not had a boat for about 35 years and I have never had one this nice. It is really hard for me to believe this boat is 27 years old. IIRC, cruising at about 38-40 MPH was about 3200 RPM. I know at one point, I had the trim all the way down and was running 31 MPH and holding the Hot Foot steady, the speed increased to 36.5 by just trimming the motor up a bit. I never messed with the adjustment in the Jack Plate. The dash has one of the Yamaha Digital all in one guages and the only thing on the entire boat that does not work is the trim indicator. It could be the guage or maybe just the sending unit on the motor, not sure.

Has New Hydraulic Steering that was just installed. Hydraulic Jack Plate, has had the deck extender installed at some point. Original upholstery and carpet with two folding fishing seats and one butt seat all with original upholstery. Hot foot, lighted boxes and lighted live well. Motorguide Digital trolling motor but does not have spot lock, so it may have to be replaced. Humminbird Helix 9 at console but does not have side imaging, so it may go to the bow and a new one with side imaging at the helm.

ECM showed no faults, compression about 101-102 on all six cylinders. 262 hours with 169 at 1000-2000 rpm's. Only 7 or 8 hours above 4000 rpms.

Motor has a Yamaha Stainless 27P prop. Hole shot with that is good, but not what I would call super quick considering the size of the motor. I may try a little lower pitched prop and see what it does. I do not expect to spend much time on the top end anyway, so getting out of the hole is more important to me.

I am so excited I can barely wait to get it out. Crappie should fire up in the next few days if it stays warm but rain is predicted all week-end, and I don't want to get my new boat wet.

Inside the boat, I found all the original owners manuals stuff and a photo copy of the original invoice dated April 1992, with all the original options listed. None of the dollar amounts were listed. It had a 200 Merc originally.

Wayne

2. Member

3. Member
    Congratulations. Post pictures.

4. Member
    I just got home with it last night. I will get some pics and post them if I can figure out how to do that.

Wayne

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sounds nice, but ...

The 201 is the standard for the Champion ride

6. Member
    One of the best! My buddy has an 89 201 be bought new and still looks new! Great boats!

7. Member
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

8. Member
    Congratulations!!...201 is a great hull,and send the ecm to hydro tec and get it pumped up...lol.. enjoy her
    1995 ChampioN 190 1995 Mercury 200 XRI Lowrance Ghost

9. Member
    Awesome! I love my 93 201

Congrats and Enjoy

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Lots of 201 owners on here. If you need help just ask.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

13. Member
    is that the red one that originally had a newer SHO on it? If so, it’s true that boat is in great shape! Congrats on the new ride!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCaseyB206 View Post
    is that the red one that originally had a newer SHO on it? If so, it’s true that boat is in great shape! Congrats on the new ride!
    I believe so, but not for sure. Do know the boat in question was advertised on tff. It is dang nice ride!!

15. Banned
    ... Dan

16. Member
    Yes, Sir, It is the red one that was on TFF. I have some pics but have not figured out how to post them here. Took it out for the first time on Tuesday. Runs well and has a REALLY nice ride. The lake was fairly smooth so I didn't get to test the rough water ride. I was loaded heavily (four of us in the boat and full tank of gas.) It sits really LOW in the back because the VMax 225 that is on it is heavy. Having to learn to drive out from under the prop wash, but so far I have only gotten water in the boat once.

Bad news is we never found any crappie either in shallow water or out deep. We have some brush piles located on a Helix 7 in another boat, but did not have the card out of it so we could not find the brush piles. I am going to replace the Helix 9 that is only sonar and GPS with a better one that has SI & DI, just do not know which one yet.
    Has a Motor Guide 70# which moves the boat great, but I have to have spot lock, so that's gotta be replaced as well.

OK, lets see if this works

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums...321_081811.jpg
    https://texasfishingforum.com/forums...321_081721.jpg
    https://texasfishingforum.com/forums...321_081709.jpg
    https://texasfishingforum.com/forums...321_081631.jpg
    https://texasfishingforum.com/forums...321_081606.jpg

17. Banned
    Why did they pull the SHO?

18. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneM1946 View Post
    ... It sits really LOW in the back because the VMax 225 that is on it is heavy.
    That is typical of the Mtn Home Champs regardless of motor. Fuel tank & batteries add to the weight back there. As you are slowing down, trim down and try not to just kill all the power at once. You'll learn the technique for keeping the rear deck dry

19. Banned
    Nice Champ! Congrats!

20. Member
    Story on the SHO was that the boat was purchased from the original owner by a 70+ year old guy (I'm 72, so sometimes old guys do crazy things)and he put the SHO on it. He never even got the boat in the water because he almost immediately had a major health problem. He tried to sell the boat but had so much $$$ in the motor, he could not come out. The dealer I bought it from purchased the boat to get the SHO to put on a 2019 Skeeter boat that he had and he pulled it off and replaced it with the VMax.

Boat has a Bob's Machine Shop Hydraulic Jack Plate on it. I have never had a boat with a jack plate, so I am not sure how to determine the appropriate setting for it. Do I just dink around with height settings until the hole shot gets good without losing water pressure. There is a guage on the dash that indicates the jack plate movement up and down. How does the trim level affect the jack plate height (or not)?

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast