Thread: Fortrex shaft ?

Fortrex shaft ?

Just picked up a new rig with a less than year old 112 Fortrex on it. There seems to be a lot of slop/wobbling where the lower and upper shaft come together. There's a collar there with 2 Allen heads. I can see a silver ring and an o ring that are exposed between the collar and the upper shaft. Doesn't seem right to me. Anyone have some insight?
    2015 Legend Alpha 211R 250 Merc Pro XS

2. Member
    Had same on a new unit 2 years ago. Mr. Jones can advise best. You can take the head off (1 Allen bolt) and take to ASC or send to Mr. Jones

3. Member
    Is this motor a new motor to you or it was bought new by you and your keep from old rig to new rig? The problem could be two fold. It could be the collar slipped down the shaft and caused this to become lose or the screws that attach the pinion gear to the shaft may have come lose and created that issue. If you are the original owner of the troll motor then it is a warranty repair. If not it is still a job that may require a shop to do. Not familiar with anyone in Shreveport, but there is a shop in West Monroe and John Jones is in Texarkana

4. Member
    I just bought the boat, but the person I bought the boat from had just replaced the motor a few months before I purchased the rig. It seems like whatever is in the head that holds the shaft in place has loosened up and allowed the lower shaft to slide down maybe an 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. Wasnt sure if this was something I could tighten up myself, or if it had to go to a pro. I've used Mr. Jones for repairs before and he was great, but want to make sure it nothing I can do myself before going there. Its about a 2 hour round trip for me.
    2015 Legend Alpha 211R 250 Merc Pro XS