Triton Dual Pro battery charger issue

I recently purchased a used triton TR186. It has a special edition Dual Pro battery charger on board. After taking it out for the first time, I plugged it into charge my trolling motor batteries. When you plug it in there are two sets of red LED lights that start at five and count down to zero once charged, one set for each battery. This morning, when I got ready to take it out I noticed one of the batteries was still at 4 red lights on while the other was completely charged. I put my regular battery charger on it and within 20 minutes it was fully charged as well. It was not completely dead to start with. So today when I returned from the lake, I plugged it in again and both sets of lights started at five, I checked it a little bit ago, one is down to one light, and the other one is at four, just like it was after all night last night. I removed the cable from the battery in all four lights go out, and when I resecure, the 4 lights come back on, so the connections are good and it is sees the battery, but apparently not charging it. The in-line fuse between the charger and the battery is also good. All the batteries test good, I just had them tested yesterday. Looks to me like the charger is bad, but I would think the five lights coming on would not come on at all if it wasn’t having any output. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to explain completely. Is there any troubleshooting I can do other than checking all the connections?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Just swap banks of the charger.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Have u switched the leads over so that the bank in question is hooked up to the other battery to see if it does the same thing? Just a thought.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Just swap banks of the charger.
    I guess I don’t know what you mean, I presume you’re saying remove it and replace one of the internal charging mechanisms? I did not know you could even do that. Thx for the reply.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    Have u switched the leads over so that the bank in question is hooked up to the other battery to see if it does the same thing? Just a thought.
    I will try this, although I did check all batteries and I know they’re in good shape. I’m guessing the charger is just wore out.

6. Member
    I once had an issue with a Dual Charger Pro on my old TR186 that was similar to your issue. If you still have a problem with the same charging bank after swapping the charging cables, try replacing the fuse. I know you said the fuse was ok but my fuse “appeared” good and had not blown but replacing the fuse fixed my problem. I don’t know how since the fuse looked good but I never had a problem with it again after I replaced it.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I will try this, although I did check all batteries and I know they’re in good shape. I’m guessing the charger is just wore out.
    The load test stores do doesn’t test for nearly all the problems a battery could have. One of the best tests you can do is look at the date code on the battery. Either a round sticker or some numbers hot stamped on the side at the top.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The load test stores do doesn’t test for nearly all the problems a battery could have. One of the best tests you can do is look at the date code on the battery. Either a round sticker or some numbers hot stamped on the side at the top.
    Yes and check the specific gravity of each cell. You may also want to confer with the factory. I had to deal with them once and the customer service was fantastic.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    I once had an issue with a Dual Charger Pro on my old TR186 that was similar to your issue. If you still have a problem with the same charging bank after swapping the charging cables, try replacing the fuse. I know you said the fuse was ok but my fuse “appeared” good and had not blown but replacing the fuse fixed my problem. I don’t know how since the fuse looked good but I never had a problem with it again after I replaced it.
    This worked. In fact just taking the fuse out and putting the same fuse back in after checking it worked..... i’m guessing there must’ve been a poor connection in the fuse housing. I don’t know what else it could be since I never even had time to go get a new fuse. I noticed on the 2nd battery set up, that fuse housing has been taped securely together by the previous owner. He may have had a similar problem. Thanks for all the replies. It’s working now.

10. Member

11. Member
    Good deal, at least it was a “cheap” fix. If I remember correctly, the fuse holders had heat shrink on them from the factory but I could be mistaken since that was so long ago.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    Good deal, at least it was a “cheap” fix. If I remember correctly, the fuse holders had heat shrink on them from the factory but I could be mistaken since that was so long ago.
    It looks like shrinkwrap but actually it’s just a very tight fitting rubber housing that pulls apart.