Help making this skeeter look new

I recently purchased a used boat, overall it is in great shape but the top cap is slightly discolored. I am wanting to try and make this look as best as possible. If I use the protec kit, my question is should I wet sand the top cap being that it is not terrible, or should I just try and use the paint moisturizer and sealant. And is it better to use a buffer when applying the paint moisturizer or hand?

I attached some pictures, you can see the original hull color where the previous owner must of had a sticker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Hard to tell from the pics but that looks pretty decent already. It might be wasteful, but worth trying it without wet sanding first and then see what you get. In my opinion it’s best to leave as much of the gel on there as possible even if you waste a bit of protec. Especially if you’re planning to keep the boat for any length of time.

3. Member
    Use a marine cleaner wax made by 3M or McGuires. It will remove the light oxidation from the gel coat.
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180
    Merc XR4 150 Blackmax

By the looks of the pics I would sand it to make sure the oxidation was gone if not buffing won’t last....
    Last edited by crank68; 03-26-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Wet sand it. Worth the extra time and effort!!