Thread: Pro trim help

Pro trim help

I have a zx200 and the pro trim trim control at the steering wheel stopped working. I traced three wires coming out the back of the control and the red wire is not attached to anything and it looks clean at the end of the wire (recently connected in a butt connector I believe). Issue is I cannot see the butt connector anywhere and when I tried pressing the red wire up to a battery the trim still didn't work.

Any ideas?

2. Member
    Those wires should be green(down),blue(up) and red is the hot. You need to find where it went and connect it,it had to have been hot if the trim switch did work.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Those wires should be green(down),blue(up) and red is the hot. You need to find where it went and connect it,it had to have been hot if the trim switch did work.
    Ya, I was 95% it was wired like that too. But why wouldn't it work if I connect the red to a battery then?

4. Member
    Usually red “hot” goes on the center tab of the switch then just put blue on top green on bottom and if the controls are backwards just swap the green and blue leaving the red in the center.
    Last edited by Tstella; 03-23-2019 at 07:16 AM.
    2005 pro team 185
    2005 opti 115
    21” spitfire x7
    Bobs machine 6" action hydro jackplate
    8’ power pole blades

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tstella View Post
    Usually red “hot” goes on the center tab of the switch then just put blue on top green on bottom and if the controls are backwards just swap the green and blue leaving the red in the center.
    Ya, they are all plugged into the terminals on the unit still. The issue is the other end. The green and blue are connected to wiring and the red is no longer connected to anything. Can I just splice it into any other hot wire?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stx.dead.I View Post
    Ya, they are all plugged into the terminals on the unit still. The issue is the other end. The green and blue are connected to wiring and the red is no longer connected to anything. Can I just splice it into any other hot wire?
    Probably best if you find the lost red wire with said butt connector because now you have a hot wire loose in your boat that could cause a short. To answer your other question yes you could tie it into another hot lead from the fuse panel just make sure it’s fused correctly for wire gauge.
    2005 pro team 185
    2005 opti 115
    21” spitfire x7
    Bobs machine 6" action hydro jackplate
    8’ power pole blades