2010 200 Hp Etec HO opinion

have above engine since basically new..bought a Ranger with this on it ..had 15 hours. Up until this past weekend the engine has been absolutely perfect. Nothing ever done to it o/t the usual yearly tune up, impellor, oil, plugs general maintenance. Garage kept.
    I had a dime size piece out of skeg and put on a skeg guard just for cosmetic reason.compression is great, I believe mechanic said 294 hours on engine. Only xd100 , 87 octane ever used. This engine shifts like butter and the second the key turns it starts...every time..There are a couple overheat codes (thank you lake Okeechobee) but I shut the engine off immediately when alarm came on. They occurred a few months ago

Saturday the engine was idling before takeoff and quit..wouldn't restart. computer showed fault code for CPS and Capacitor...Both were changed..engine fired immediately. So I'm back in business

Ok, my question, I've never owned an engine this long...it's run perfect. but I see the G2 has a 10 year warranty till March 31st...I'm 63, maybe have 10 years of being boat owner....
    Could I reasonably expect my current engine to take me there? Or does it make sense to sell this engine and repower. My boat is almost mint condition. I have no idea what this engine would be worth. Dealer here in Florida said I'd be out the door on a new 200 G2 around $18,000.00 ...so if that's true and I could get a decent $ for the old one...does this make sense. I'm sort of a warranty guy, all I know how to do is put gas and oil in it. Dealer didn't seem keen on giving me much for a trade in which was a bit surprising. Its been so good to me, just don't know if that lasts or what to expect down the road...don't want to be throwing 2-3K in the engine every year now, but really how long do these engines last?

Would appreciate input from the guys that have had them a long time or mechanics and any idea what I'd ask for this engine. Not interested in getting top dollar...Want to be fair and hoping to find someone in Florida to get it if I decide to go that route

I'm pressed for time with the March 31 deadline coming up on the G2 10 year warrant.

Thanks

That engine should bring you between $8,000.00 to $9,000.00, I can tell you that you would love the G2!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    You have an interesting dilemma, and one that a whole lot of outboard owners face. But the good news is, you would have very good chances of positive outcomes either way. The G2 not only has terrific warranty but also a lot of advanced features that the G1 doesn’t have. The icon gauge in particular shows a ton of engine data (as well as vessel data, when connected via a NMEA network) that makes a non-techy driver more aware of performance items that help him take care of his rig. The performance of the G2 is also a couple of steps above the G1. However, as you note, the engine you now have is performing well, and with decent maintenance could last until you’re 90 or more. You could flip a coin, or you could ask yourself which engine you might enjoy more. The G2 is amazingly fun to drive, and it’s also very nice to have that warranty. If the budget isn’t stretched, selling a good-running 200 on a private sale would not be difficult.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    [QUOTE=Danrude;10144955]That engine should bring you between $8,000.00 to $9,000.00, I can tell you that you would love the G2![/QUOTE

Danrude, thanks for response.... pleasantly surprised... $10,000 out of pocket for new G2 for 10 years.....I might be crazy but that seems like a no brainer...

5. Member
    thank you sir...appreciate the info

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Just make sure you get the 3.4L 200 and not the 2.7L 200.

7. Member
    Yikes, Will do. Glad you mentioned that. May look to post my old engine this weekend
    thank you. Anything else I should be aware of? Assume I know nothing please!

K&K Custom from the board has been looking for a motor like you have. You may want to contact him.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    K&K Custom from the board has been looking for a motor like you have. You may want to contact him.
    He picked one up last month from a person in North Carolina.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Yes I did, ty though for keeping me in mind. Was a deal I couldnt pass up and Ty to championman for all the insight and looking over the printout for me. As far as the icon guage comment mentioned above , the OP can simply get an interface cable and hook his G1 up the his graphs using nema 2000. This will provide him with all the info and on a much bigger screen. I agree the 10 year warranty is great. Owner I purchased my G1 from did the same and went new G2 200HO as he wants the protection of a warranty. He told me the holeshot and midrange is where the G2 has shined , he says top end is a toss up between the 2.

11. Member
    if the money isn't an issue go for it!!!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools