8612 xsv question

IM running a stick steer boat and have been wrestling with getting down to one unit.
    I have a Carbon 12 and a 1022xsv with PS22 currently.
    Not sure if I will go to the Livescope at some time but want to keep the option open so Garmin looks like the best option seeing as though Lowrance screwed the pooch with the livesite.

The 8612 has the 12 and 8 pin ports so my question is if I run a 12 pin transducer of the transom for 2d,sidescan and downscan and run a 8 pin 2d and down scan off the TM can I run two pages one with the 12 pin and another with the 8 pin.
    With the Lowrance when I select Channel 1 which has the HDI 2d/down I can get 2d from the tm/HDI but it reads the down from the transom mount 3-1. The only way that I can get 2d and down from the HDI is to go into setting and turn channel 2 off which has the 3-1 transducer.

Wish the new Ultras had 2 transducer ports.

any help appreciated
    thanks

2. Member
    You should be able to. I could on the 7610 but right now I'm having problems doing that on the 8616. It's a software issue and I have reported it to Garmin. I'm sure they will get it straighted out. It's a bit quirky how to set it up. You do one panel as Traditional but then do Split Frequency. Then you change the source via Frequency Selection. Rather, that is how it worked previously. May be different now. I'm in the process of finding out.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Sounds good.
    If i can run a 2 panel 2d and sidescan page off the 8 pin and a seperate 2 or 3 panel page off the 12 pin that will seal the deal.

Let us know and thanks again

4. Member
    I couldn't find a good screenshot quickly, but if I understand what you are trying to do, this might me close. It's on a 7610 2 years ago. Anyway this was the screen I had trouble setting up on the 8616. Both xd's are on the TM so they look a little screwy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    Let me see if I can explain it a little better by telling you what happens on my Lowrance.

I have a HDI on the tm connected to port/channel 1 which is the sonar port. I have a 3-1 on the transom connected to port/channel 2.
    I can set up a page with a 3 way split from the 3-1 for running/searching
    I then set up a page with a 2 way split from the HDI on the TM. Giving me 2d and down.

The problem is when I select the page with the 2 way split 2d and down I can only get 2d from the HDI and down comes from the transom mounted 3-1 which is 18' behind the HDI.
    The only way that I can get down from the tm hdi is to go into setting and turn off channel 2. Several steps involved.

Not really worried about being able to run a split screen showing readings from both transducers. Would be nice but not a have to.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Shooter 1; 03-23-2019 at 06:44 AM.

6. Member
    You will have a similar issue with Garmin. With three units networked and multiple transducers connected, all are available to be selected as the source when making a combo screen. It's quite easy to select from the different sources for any panel in the combo screen but there are complications. Lets say I have a GT52 on the TM and a GT50 on the transom. Each of these transducers have 2d, side and down. So I set up a 3 panel combo named FRONT and source each panel to the GT52. Then I set up a 3 panel combo named BACK and source each panel to the GT50. Sounds wonderful until I then choose the FRONT combo and guess what. The sources have all been changed to the GT50. The way the logic appears to work for the sourcing seems to be like this. Choosing the source for SideVu means that is the source for this Unit whenever SideVu is viewed regardless of the Combo View selected. One source for the Unit. It's the same for ClearVu/DownVu and Traditional 2d unless you use split frequency. Panoptix and LiveScope are much more flexible.

So what I have to do is to assign one Unit for Searching and assign the transom sources to the Combo View on it. A different Unit is sourced to the TM transducers. When networked, it doesn't matter where the transducers are connected. They are all available.

Now I hope I'm wrong about all this and that Todd will see it and correct me.

7. Member
    Thanks for the reply and info.
    I was afraid that would be the case.

8. Member
    You know it makes me wonder about the need for 2 transducer ports on some of the units.

In your example above using the GT 52 & 50 aren’t they both 12 pin. If so I assume they make a 12 pin to 8 pin adapter that will provide Sidescan.

9. Member
    No. SideVu requires 12 pins. I have 3 units networked. Anything plugged into any unit is available to any unit. I was using 2 7610s and 942xs. So that was 2-12 pin ports and 3-8 pin. Now I'm using 8616, 1242, and 942. So that is 2-12pin and 2-8pin.

10. Member
    Man I’m not trying to appear plum stupid but.

If I have a 2 port 12/pin 8 unit mounted on the console how would I use both ports? What would the 8 pin port do for me that the 12 cannot?

Is networking not done thru Ethernet

11. Member
    The 8 pin of often use for the very high output transducers. That's usually saltwater and really deep. Yes, networking is via ethernet. Most people would probably not use both. When I was just using one unit I would have the Split-Frequency double panel 2d sourced for one to be on the TM and the other on the transom.

12. Member
    Ok I got it.
    Thanksfor your patience

Shooter, you should be able to do what you want by using SmartModes and Presets. For each of the 2D/Down/Side sources you want to use, create a new preset while on that source and exclude everything except the source setting from the presets. Then you can link those presets to SmartModes which will automatically switch sources. To link a preset to a SmartMode, from the SmartMode layout, select Menu, Edit Layout, Presets and include the appropriate preset. When presets are linked to SmartModes, a star will appear in the SmartMode icon.
    Garmin Pro Team

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Shooter, you should be able to do what you want by using SmartModes and Presets. For each of the 2D/Down/Side sources you want to use, create a new preset while on that source and exclude everything except the source setting from the presets. Then you can link those presets to SmartModes which will automatically switch sources. To link a preset to a SmartMode, from the SmartMode layout, select Menu, Edit Layout, Presets and include the appropriate preset. When presets are linked to SmartModes, a star will appear in the SmartMode icon.
    Thanks Todd
    I was sure hoping there was a way.