Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on 2008 Stratos 200XL w/ 225 Mercury Optimax

Wanted to get your thoughts on a boat I'm hoping to go look at this weekend. It is an 08 Stratos 200XL w/ 225 Mercury Optimax. It does not have a jackplate or hotfoot. It is supposed to be in great condition (although pics looks like it sits outside) with less than 200hrs. What would be a good pricepoint for this boat? Most the ones I see for sale are 201's. There asking 18500. Do these boats like jackplates because I would want a hydraulic jackplate. What size jackplate is recommended? Can anybody tell me a bit about these hulls performance wise? I read somewhere they are hard to drive? Do they chine walk? Greatly appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bassprokd; 03-21-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Sharp boat, those ride and handle well, and are pretty darn quick. I haven’t been in one without a jack plate so can’t say about how it would do without. Likely the driving experience and performance would improve with a hotfoot and a 8” jackplate

3. Member
    A lot of your stratos and javelins will chine walk even when set up right.Time on the water will cure any of those problems.I fish with a friend that has a javelin renegade 20 with a Evinrude 200 ho(the hull is probably pretty close to the 200xl)that is a blast to drive and runs in the 70's.I will say he spent a lot of time on correct engine prop to pad setting plus correct setting on the jackplate.I am thinking it has an 8" jackplate and runs a 25 pitch raker prop.Properly set up the boat you are looking at will set the water on fire.Good luck to you
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

I'd say mid to low-upper teens on the price as it looks to have dated graphs and as you said no jackplate/hotfoot. If you like the boat use that to help negotiate price. The 200 is a fantastic and very fast boat. 8" plate is what came on them from the factory. You can go to a 12" but you could have issues with cables/steering being long enough. Setup right that rig should run mid 70's, but you will have to learn to drive it. I have an '05 with a 225HO Rude and it's pretty tame up to 72, but after that you have to know how to drive.

5. Member
    I picked up an 08 200XL with an evinrude last summer with the same colors. My boat does not walk at all until about 70.

6. Member
    I picked up a 200 last year, and it doesn't walk at 74. That one will need a jack plate. That boat has been for sale a few weeks on the Facebook Stratos page. If I didn't already have one and it looks as good in person as the pictures, I would've already bought it.

If that boat is as good as it looks in the pictures, I would jump all over it at that price. They don’t make them any more and guys love them. There is a reason for that...

8. Member
    Yup that seems like a fair enough price. I just spoke to her and she has to have 18500. Its actually going to consignment next week and they are going to ask 23k so I'm glad I get to look at it before that happens.

9. Member
    I paid 17,500 for mine. It's a little older. I had to do a good bit of work. Ended up about 4k extra into it just for reference. So I'm 21-22k into mine.

10. Member
    I've got the exact boat and motor. When I bought it it was set up the same. Now three years later, Hotfoot, 8" Atlas jackplate, 25 Tempest Plus, Ultrex 112, (three batteries on port side and one AGM on starboard side) entire bilge area is wide open still. Mine had 40 hours on motor and I knew the owner. That's a fair price as it sits if all is in order an working. With what I have into the TM and electronics I'd never get back selling but no need to mine runs mid to low 70's and full of gas and livewells full with a partner will run 68-69 all day.

11. Member
    Wish me luck fellas...I'm making the Trek today to hopefully pick this thing up.

12. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassprokd View Post
    Wish me luck fellas...I'm making the Trek today to hopefully pick this thing up.
    Like the boys have chimed in here.... get an 8" JP and take it from there. 2 3/4:ptp is a good start. A 25" or 26" Fury will really make that boat sing!

Nice boat, stay pumped on the deal, and have a safe journey!
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

13. Member
    It needs a 10" jackplate. I have owned three of these. The 8" is not enough when you have a moderately heavy load in the boat. The engine looks like a standard optimax. With the Pro XS these are 75 mph boats. Some are even faster than that. With the standard opti, this boat should still run in the low 70's. I would recommend a high rake bow lifting propeller. To make the 200 PXL go fast, it is a bow lift game. The fury's never gave me enough lift and would top out in the 70 - 71 MPH range. The 225 pro xs on this boat will handle up to a 26 pitch. With this being the standard opti, I am thinking more in the 24 - 25 pitch range.

14. Member
    Appreciate the replies and advice. Man everyone says 8” and now 10”. I’ve been researching hyd. Jack plates the past hour. Oh and I picked her up. This boat is in showroom condition and was only used about 15 times. Unfortunately the owner got sick after purchasing boat new. Dropping off tomorrow to get computer read for total hours. I was going to order 8” jack plate today until I read the above...hmmm

Congrats on getting it!
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

16. Member
    I have a 10" plate on a 201 and it's a big difference over the 8". I was surprised. Also going from a fixed plate to a hydraulic was real nice.
    2015 Skeeter ZX250 with 2015 SHO 250hp
    12" Helix MSI at console linked with
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

17. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Congrats on getting your new boat!

Now the fun part begins, acquiring accessories and setting it up.... enjoy!
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

18. Member
    Yes getting it set up now with electronics, jackplate, hot foot and maintenance items on outboard. Local shop is 3 weeks out before they could service and read engine hours. I can’t wait that long so doing the work myself and I’ll have hours read later. Going with 10" Atlas. Boat has a 26p Tempest Plus on it. Hopefully I can get dialed in with this prop.
    Last edited by bassprokd; 04-04-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Congrats man You're going to love that boat.

20. Member
    She is coming along...10" jackplate installed. New calipers/rotors/bearings installed on trailer. Lower Unit impeller and gear oil changed and new fuel filter. Garmin at console installed. One more Garmin with livescope to install on bow and install hot foot and time to hit the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast