Please help Installing tachometer!!!

Ok guys I have a 90 Johnson 150 gt pro I bought a use control box bought a brand new tach and brand new harness that plugs into back of control box both Evinrude Johnson brp brand I plugged the harness hooked grey wire to signal post purple wire to battery post and of course black to ground post as instructions say Turned the poles switch to #2 for v-6 Engine as institutions say as well fired engine up nothing tach isn’t reading. Also on the wiring harnesses that run out of control box to motor on the big wire with red plug I’m considering thats the main harness plug it in but there is a little black wire ran out of the rubber tubing I don’t see where to hook it up or is it a ground wire as well as the little wiring harness which I believe is my trim wire about half way through the wire there is a connector where you can unplug it but I have a black wire with a ring terminal and then white wire with a orange strip with a ring terminal I do not know where to hook them up so y’all please help me if y’all can I know my basics just when I gets to the wiring and everything I’m still learning

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Pole setting is 6 not 2. If the control box is a surface mount there should be a pig tail that has the purple, gray and black wires along with a plug that allows you to plug in directly to the tach. The white/tan(orange) and black wires are for the trim gauge.

3. Member
    Thank you sir I’ll swap it to 6 poles when I get home and give it a try

4. Member
    Ok ChampioNman I swapped poles back over to six found the ground wire for the plug In control box was broken fixed it still no tac this wire in the pic I uploaded is ran out the red plug harness on the motor side of the plug could you tell me where it’s suppose to plug into and is this possible my problem why I have no tac reading
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    I believe I figured the problem out brand new tac supposed to be bought off eBay has a small rattle in side if you give it a small shake so if anyone has a omc tac laying around that works and wanting to sell shot me a price

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Hard to tell where those wires go from the picture.

7. Member
    Well guys I figured the problem out tac is working great now took the boat out for first time this evening everything checked out great performed a lot better then I believe got 58 out of it yes on gps did find out I need to get me about a 23 pitch to 24 pitch prop to get my rpms down where I can open it on up

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper1992 View Post
    Well guys I figured the problem out tac is working great now took the boat out for first time this evening everything checked out great performed a lot better then I believe got 58 out of it yes on gps did find out I need to get me about a 23 pitch to 24 pitch prop to get my rpms down where I can open it on up
    what was the problem?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    The plug that comes out back of control box was not making very good connection so I done away with plug it send hardwired it in before I done that I took a small pic and tighten the connectors up still wasn’t making good connection