Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Waterfront home owners have what is called Riparian Rights. Basically they are deeded the land under the water but can't really do anything with it. We see it all the time when new people move to a lake and think they own the water. I live on a public lake and this comes up almost every year when boats anchor or cruise close to shore. We have had the DNR and local water patrol called. Never had the officer side with the homeowner.

Here is some reading that explains it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riparian_water_rights

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    It's one thing to fish docks and get yelled at by the owners. I think everyone on this site has been through that a time or two. But this guy was provoking her. She may have charges against her but he needed to shut his trap. No sense in escalating a bad situation.
    I agree he did taunt her and kept it going on and on. She on the other hand should have gone to the house and let it be. No winners on either side.

I've only ever had one case like this. I was fishing a short stretch of bank in between some docks and an old lady comes storming down to the waters edge. She said, "were yout here yesterday?" No, I said. "Are you sure you weren't here yesterday?". I repeated no. Then starts lecturing me about being a wierd place to fish. I said idk wtf you're talking about. Then she starts in about me cussing. I said "Lady! I'm about to call the police because you're harassing me!" She turned around and left .

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I agree he did taunt her and kept it going on and on. She on the other hand should have gone to the house and let it be. No winners on either side.
    Agree,

This won't end well. IF 700 boats show up at her dock how may of them are going to be jack asses? My guess is more than a few. Best to just let it go and move on.

It's one thing to fish docks and get yelled at by the owners. I think everyone on this site has been through that a time or two. But this guy was provoking her. She may have charges against her but he needed to shut his trap. No sense in escalating a bad situation.
    How did he provoke her ? He was breaking no laws and was further away from the dock than I ever am when I fish one

Shut his mouth and move on ? And we wonder why people think they own the water and it gets worse every year .. she could have shut her mouth instead of harassing someone and spraying him with a hose and I’m sure he would have fished and moved on

Also this isn’t the first time people from her house have harassed fishermen

6. Member
    I disagree 100% people who buy waterfront property should know that they don't own the water. Did you see the other video of her cursing at the guy wading and towing his 3 year old son in a kayak? This woman is fricking mental and needs to be put in her place. I've had the displeasure of the same type of behavior on Walloon lake. Lots of self rightous snobs on that lake that have no clue on what is legal and what is not. We were fishing no where near this guys dock, just out front of his house and he was literally foaming at the mouth screaming at us to get away from his 3 million dollar house. I make it a point to fish there every time I am on that lake, and we have never caught them good in that area. People who get away with this type of behavior/self entitlement are a big part of what is wrong with society in this day and age....

7. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I hope they get 1000 people to fish her dock. I also hope they don't act like idiots.

Dale Sinclair original

8. Member
    I’m with Jerrry 100% on this. So Jose says “ ok,I will go somewhere else” and she’s says to herself “ I might not own the water but I control it” and the next people fishing that area will have to deal with an empowered person. In the fox story it says deputies asked him to leave and fish somewhere else,so she kinda did win.
    Red Sox in 6!

I'll believe 700 facebookers show up whenI see it. 300 boats takes up an entire huge cove...boat 700 will be a mile from her dock.

10. Banned
    Had she kept her mouth shut to start off with he’d never said a word to her. She deserves everything she gets.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I'll believe 700 facebookers show up whenI see it. 300 boats takes up an entire huge cove...boat 700 will be a mile from her dock.
    And some will be half in the bag when they get there. I'm sure FWC will be there just to keep an eye on things.

12. Banned
    Had something similar happen last fall. I was bluegill fishing with my dad and an older gentleman said he didn't want me fishing where his grandkids swim. I said if i were to get snagged, I'd take the boat over and get it out. He says There was a time when people respected other peoples property. I said I'm not on your property. Then asked if I owned property on the lake. I replied no but I paid the launch fee and I'm fishing legally. He said he was going to call the police and I told him to go right ahead and then he can explain to them why he is harassing me and my father. He then started pacing frantically. Went up to his shed and was walking in and out of it erratically. I joked with my dad that he's going to get a gun....I've had warning shots fired above me by the duck hunters on that same lake, for getting too close to their blinds. My 80 year old father was quiet thru the confrontation and then says to me I'm going to piss on his dock. I laugh because he has difficulty standing up in the boat. We fished there about 30 minutes and moved on. No another word said by the homeowner. We fish another 30 minutes before packing it up. Dad pisses in the coffee can I keep in the boat for him and tells me to drive by his dock slowly. He dumps his piss in front of the dock and says to me Now his grandkids can enjoy swimming in my piss.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    And some will be half in the bag when they get there. I'm sure FWC will be there just to keep an eye on things.
    All it takes is a few cat urinary tract infections...and they stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    How did he provoke her ? He was breaking no laws and was further away from the dock than I ever am when I fish one

Shut his mouth and move on ? And we wonder why people think they own the water and it gets worse every year .. she could have shut her mouth instead of harassing someone and spraying him with a hose and I’m sure he would have fished and moved on

Also this isn’t the first time people from her house have harassed fishermen
    This^^^^^ Now not only she know, but so do allot of "I own the lake crowd" on that lake.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Had something similar happen last fall. I was bluegill fishing with my dad and an older gentleman said he didn't want me fishing where his grandkids swim. I said if i were to get snagged, I'd take the boat over and get it out. He says There was a time when people respected other peoples property. I said I'm not on your property. Then asked if I owned property on the lake. I replied no but I paid the launch fee and I'm fishing legally. He said he was going to call the police and I told him to go right ahead and then he can explain to them why he is harassing me and my father. He then started pacing frantically. Went up to his shed and was walking in and out of it erratically. I joked with my dad that he's going to get a gun....I've had warning shots fired above me by the duck hunters on that same lake, for getting too close to their blinds. My 80 year old father was quiet thru the confrontation and then says to me I'm going to piss on his dock. I laugh because he has difficulty standing up in the boat. We fished there about 30 minutes and moved on. No another word said by the homeowner. We fish another 30 minutes before packing it up. Dad pisses in the coffee can I keep in the boat for him and tells me to drive by his dock slowly. He dumps his piss in front of the dock and says to me Now his grandkids can enjoy swimming in my piss.

Wow you showed him.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    All it takes is a few cat urinary tract infections...and they stay home.
    Maybe that is what affected poor old Joyce.

Quote Originally Posted by ULSteves View Post
    Waterfront home owners have what is called Riparian Rights. Basically they are deeded the land under the water but can't really do anything with it. We see it all the time when new people move to a lake and think they own the water. I live on a public lake and this comes up almost every year when boats anchor or cruise close to shore. We have had the DNR and local water patrol called. Never had the officer side with the homeowner.

Here is some reading that explains it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riparian_water_rights
    In Wisconsin the lake owner owns what is on his deed,nothing more. the state owns the water and the land under it with a provision for the lake owner to access the water beyond what's on their deed. If he lake would dry up, the lakefront owner doesn't gain land.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    I hope they get 1000 people to fish her dock. I also hope they don't act like idiots.
    +1
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

Glad we don't have to deal with the dock drama that gets posted here on a regular basis. Our 2 biggest lakes are 10k acres and 8k acres and the state owns all the property around both of them. There's no houses on the water, no docks, no boat houses and no drama, just natural shoreline.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffy1337 View Post
    Wow you showed him.
    It wasn't about one upping him. It made my 80 year old father happy.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast