Cutting people off question

This is just a curiosity question and i know this is the lounge but ive wondered why people give hundreds of feet to boats fishing down banks, points, docks etc, BUT when it comes to bridges and such people get right on top each other and cast at the same spot.

2. Member
    Bridges have been considered community holes since the dawn of time, since there are an extremely limited amount of them to fish. There might be 400 secondary points or boat docks on a lake, but only 4 bridges. As far as cutting someone off, I won't jump in on a guy with the TM at 100 who is chucking and winding, but if he's been sitting in front of the same dock or whatnot for more than 4 or 5 casts, I'll give him a 100-200ft buffer.

Quote Originally Posted by smithlakebass View Post
    This is just a curiosity question and i know this is the lounge but ive wondered why people give hundreds of feet to boats fishing down banks, points, docks etc, BUT when it comes to bridges and such people get right on top each other and cast at the same spot.
    Because some people are dirtbags, I don't know how else to put it. The main problem is they're oblivious to their actions, they always have a justifiable excuse (In their minds) as to why they do it. The good news is they're easy to spot!

4. Member
    Alls fair in love and war. If your going to fish a competitive tourney, anything goes to win. This is not a game of chivalry and ediquite and if it’s a money tourney, haven’t you learned yet? Money is the root of all evil and it’s no holds bared to win? If your just going to play nice, you can expect to come in last. Now that you read these comments of mine, and your maybe upset, it’s the reason I don’t fish tourneys or a member of a club anymore. So can I say, suck it up buttercup! Times and people have changed.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    some people are just oblivious of what they are doing not all but some, we have a couple guys that fish with us that it is a given , that there going to do something that makes you go WTF and then you see who it is and say oh should of known better...lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

6. Banned
    Bridges are different. There are 4 corners and the middle, you can’t claim them all.

7. Member
    The Golden Rule should apply really...if you were catching a bunch of fish and someone did it to you are you ok with it? If you answer is yes then I think you are fine.
    PS....always start your thinking with "if I am catching a bunch of fish"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Bridges are different. There are 4 corners and the middle, you can’t claim them all.
    Talking about throwing at same bridge piling

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smithlakebass View Post
    Talking about throwing at same bridge piling
    In that case absolutely not acceptable.

Crappie fishermen know no such rules. Side by side is fine with them. The Older than me men lived by communal rules. Now that doesn't play....
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    In that case absolutely not acceptable.
    Skip a few 1/2oz swim jigs across their bow and give an an exaggerated "sorry" each time. See if that backs them off a little.

We fish a lot of very, very busy lakes here and it does not happen all that much at all to us. When it does all you can do is address it while it happens and keep on fishing. Don't give someone else the power to ruin your day on the water. Keep on fishing.

13. Member
    All this room you guys are talking about must be just for tournament fishing? How much of the side of a public lake or whatever do you think is 'yours' if you are pleasure fishing? How about tournament fishing?

14. Member
    Im not griping just another post made me think. People give X amount of distance from boats if they are fishing a bank, but when it comes to bridges, dams, etc people get right on top each other