Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front seat warning

I’ve got a buddy I fish with that is constantly worried about the bow post seat coming unglued and hitting him. Anyone know if this has ever happened? I assume bcb’s warning sign is more about legal protection - I’ve never heard of a seat popping out on its own. Am I wrong?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

I run with the front pedestal and buttseat installed on the front deck all the time. I guess it’s possible that it could come out at high speeds, but I’ve never seen one do it. Maybe in really rough water. I never trailer with them installed.
    What model Cat does he have?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Member
    Both of my stay in 99% of the time, highway and lake. Probably should remove while on the highway anyway.
    Mine is 2016 Puma/SHO

My buddy is my passenger in my Caracal and just freaks out that the seat will pop out on st clair. I keep telling him it’s never happened. Trying to confirm that my story is accurate ��

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

5. Member
    Mine never has even on the highway never heard of one doing it either.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

6. Member
    I think it is more about safety than worry. IE the seat can come lose from the pole. If you are running 70+, that's going to hurt. Ditto for the pole breaking, the mounting breaking. All very unlikely but there is definitely a risk of bad things happening. This is more a "cover our butt" sort of deal most likely, for that once in a thousand trips where something lets go.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

It happens. Lost one at Guntersville once. Pole, seat, all came out at once in some rough water

The warning is a result of a 1973 litigation matter where the front seat possibly obstructed the drivers view. Bass Cat was the first to add that label from this experience and now the labels are on almost all seat parts.

The rear seat has come unpinned is few cases, almost never a front seat, and we do not suggest leaving the front seat in place.

9. Member
    Yeah, I was going to say visibility more than anything. The chances it pops out are slim. I think it is common sense and I believe there is also a warning, but nobody should be sitting on or resting against one of the pedestal seats while the boat is underway with the gas motor. It is a hell of a lot of shear force on that pin. One good bump and someone could be impaled.

10. Member
    I can't even get my front seat out without some tugging, it's a snug fit with some vacuum when it pops.

11. Member
    They do need to be removed on a regular basis, so they don't become more difficult to remove.

12. Member
    One time I was out in margay and I left an empty pop can in the holder next to the trolling motor. We were going maybe 50mph and it came flying out and hit my passenger right on a finger. He said it hurt like hell!

I don't have a Bass Cat yet but I have two mounts up front. When I fire up the big motor I always put the seat in the second mount so it is down low. Having the seat up there really blocks your view.

I would much prefer a threaded base and pedestal, which would would not only secure them, but would keep them from wobbling while sitting in them. But I guess due to the neglect of people leaving them screwed in so long that the threads seize up, they are not threaded.

CYA warning to this day. If you are in water rough enough to pop that pole out you got bigger worries.

16. Member
    I have the taper lock on mine. The only time it came out without a major fight was when I used lube to break one loose and used it without cleaning it off. Sat in it with some wave action and it worked out and dumped me on the floor. Cleaned it off right there and tried to get it out after I got home. Nope. Not going to happen.

17. Member
    I have never saw or heard of the front seat ever coming out on the water or the highway

18. Member
    The only reason I ever put mine down is to avoid love bugs when we go to South Mississippi at the end of the summer.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

19. Member
    I have run boats for a long time and have never had one come out. I recently started taking the poles out when driving to and from the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by cal z20 View Post
    I can't even get my front seat out without some tugging, it's a snug fit with some vacuum when it pops.
    Mine used to be like that. Cleaned up the hole with drill, now it slides in and out. However that being said. I see it could be possible to pop out if I hit a wake.

I generally DO NOT use a seat while fishing, so not an issue.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast